T Nation

Training Multiple Times a Day

What can the body take in terms of frequency and volume. Recently I had the idea of changing up my training and instead of doing twice a days constantly (this includes wrestling practice, weights, cardio) with a day off to try something like Three times a day for a week, followed by say a week rest (which would involve perhaps a few days cardio or weights to keep in shape/weight down) and then one week of once a week.

How long would the body be able to handle this sort of shift I would imagine training 3 times a day even under proper recovery and caloric intake must be stessful on the body.

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
What can the body take in terms of frequency and volume. Recently I had the idea of changing up my training and instead of doing twice a days constantly (this includes wrestling practice, weights, cardio) with a day off to try something like Three times a day for a week, followed by say a week rest (which would involve perhaps a few days cardio or weights to keep in shape/weight down) and then one week of once a week.

How long would the body be able to handle this sort of shift I would imagine training 3 times a day even under proper recovery and caloric intake must be stessful on the body.[/quote]

Everyone is different. No one can answer that question but yourself through experience.

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:

How long would the body be able to handle this sort of shift I would imagine training 3 times a day even under proper recovery and caloric intake must be stessful on the body.[/quote]

I usually train 2 twice a day, next day only once.
You’ll be fine as long as your eat right and GET SLEEP!

:slight_smile:

I am far from an expert when it comes to training but seriously, 3 times a day? You need a rest and you need other interests.

Determination and drive are good but obsession is bad.

obession is what the lazy call dedication. no one gets to be a world champ taking it easy bud.

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
obession is what the lazy call dedication. no one gets to be a world champ taking it easy bud.[/quote]

It isn’t easy being a world champ and it shouldn’t be.

I don’t think not doing training 3 times a day is lazy though.

Take a step back, is it quality or quantity? If you are putting in max effort should you really be ABLE to train 3 times a day?

Comparisons Between Twice-Daily and Once-Daily Training Sessions in
Male Weight Lifters

IJSPP, 2(2), June 2007.

Michael J. Hartman; Brandon Clark ; Debra A. Bemben; J. Lon Kilgore; Michael G. Bemben

Abstract
Context: Many elite athletes use increased daily training frequencies
as a means to increase training load without substantial published
literature to support this practice. Purpose: To compare the
physiological responses to twice- and once-daily training sessions
with similar training volumes. Methods: Ten nationally competitive
male weightlifters (age 20.5 ± 1.2 y, body mass 92.9 ± 23.6 kg,
training history 5.5 ± 1.5 y) were matched on body mass and training
experience, then randomly assigned to train either once or twice
daily for 3 wk. Isometric knee-extension strength (ISO), muscle cross-
sectional area, vertical-jump peak power, resting hormone
concentrations, neuromuscular activation (EMG), and weightlifting
performance were obtained before and after the experimental training
period.

Results: All dependent measures before the training intervention were
similar for both groups. A 2-way repeated-measures ANOVA did not
reveal any significant main effects (group or trial) or interaction
effects (group �? trial) for any of the dependent variables. There
were also no significant group differences when parameters were
expressed as percentage change, but the twice-daily training group
had a greater percentage change in ISO (+5.1% vs +3.2%), EMG (+20.3%
vs +9.1%), testosterone (+10.5% vs +6.4%), and testosterone:cortisol
ratio (�?10.5% vs +1.3%) than did the once-daily training group.

Conclusions: There were no additional benefits from increased daily
training frequency in national-level male weightlifters, but the
increase in ISO and EMG activity for the twice-daily group might
provide some rationale for dividing training load in an attempt to
reduce the risk of overtraining.

I guess God wanted to make
something ugly but in great shape

I respond much better to two-a day workouts four times a week than I do to any once-a day program. Never thought of three times because I am just too tired.

There is a very successful natural bodybuilder in my gym who works out once a day for six days. His workouts are long and he moves serious weight. Very intense. He has various theories about diet and lifting to which he attributes his success, but I think they are crazy. I think his tremendous capacity for work and ability to recover quickly is responsible for his success. I notice he eats a lot of good food. I assume he rests well.

So, I think working to your capacity and increasing your capacity, is the key. That might be three times a day for you, twice for me, and once for others.

I am always looking for ways to increase my ability to move heavier weights more quickly, with less rest between sets, and more frequently.

Xylene, and others who train twice a day… what do your splits look like? Are u training the same body part am and pm? Are u going heavy in the am and light in the pm? Or are you doing the Waterbury full body approach, where you are doing like 8 full body workouts a week?

I think you can do it. Your talking about a big burst of activity then backing off?

Look at brickies labourers, half of their activity dwarfs us normal peoples whole excercise programs. So i cant see a problem with you doing it for a few days then backing off for a week. examples could probably be found everywhere of that type of stuff. Provided you treat yourself lightly inbetween your sessions on your training days. not coming into a workout heavily fatigued.

you would have to try it to really find out.

During the season my team practiced 3-4 times a week. I’d also sprint and lift 3-4 times a week. There were many days that I trained three times. The way I made it work for me was to:

1. Limit the amount of questionable stuff you’re doing. This isn’t a time where you need to do bicep curls or leg extensions!

2. Keep the volume relatively low. I did full body when training, but it would usually be A.hip dominant B.quad dominant C.Push D.Pull
    I would usually go 5x5 for the first leg movement, which would be the heaviest that day, then 6x4 or 8x3 for everything else pretty much. I didn’t hit the weights super often though 3-4 times/wk.

3. Respect your CNS. As far as sprinting went, I did hill sprints so I wouldn’t hammer my CNS in season. Looking back, I would have been fine doing starts on the flat track, but at a lower volume. The tempo days not only increased my special endurance which kicks ass for hockey, but according to charlie francis and other coaches, it is great for recovering from the previous day’s session.

Also, note I said respect it… not fear it. I probably could have gone harder somewhere during the season, but towards the end I was becoming especially successful, and if I was shot for any game it would have defeated the purpose of training…

I did Waterbury’s New Fontier for a while but actually prefer doing his Waterbury Method twice a day, four times a week. I do not like splits at all. Make sure you eat a lot of good food and take a nap if you can between workouts.

Sometimes I just get burned out, take a few days off, go back to a week of once-a day workouts, and then back to two times a day. I mean, you can only work this hard as long as you are getting results. Working without results just means you are getting sweaty.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Take a step back, is it quality or quantity? If you are putting in max effort should you really be ABLE to train 3 times a day?
[/quote]

Depends on what he’s training during those three sessions.

If he lifted in the morning, did wrestling drills in the afternoon, and then did some running in the evening, he’d be fine as long he ate and slept enough.

If he’s an athlete with few summer responsibilities, now is a great time to get in a load of total volume as long as he does it correctly.

Rookie, try doing exactly what I wrote above.

Weights in the morning.

Wrestling drills in the afternoon.

Running in the evening.

Eat and sleep a lot and listen to your body. If you feel fine after a week, keep going. If you feel tired, cut back some on the running and lifting, in that order. Don’t cut back on your wrestling drills.

Similar three-a-day sessions are pretty common in the summer for athletes; I did it when I played football in high school. It’s hard, but you can get through it.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Similar three-a-day sessions are pretty common in the summer for athletes; I did it when I played football in high school. It’s hard, but you can get through it. [/quote]

Thanks for the info Gunslinger, I wasn’t looking at it in terms of splits or what you’ve described.

In regards to what my workouts are exactly.

I have an explosive workout which consists of 3x20 burpees, 3x20 cleans, and box jumps. The other explosive workout consists of hill sprints.

My wrestling sessions are generally 90minuntes, about 30minutes technique and the rest scrapping.

Workouts consist of lots of compound movements, lots of biceps and back, incline bench etc.

Generally wrestling would be what is overlapped. Ie. 60-90minutes technique in the morning, my actual session is at 5pm. and then weights sometime in between or afterwards at night.

another day may include a workout + sprints + light technique.

My most important question was just in regards to how the body respondes with different loadings of frequency.

Ie. Would it be better to do 3x a day for a week, then back off?

3x a day for a week, then light for a week

2x a day a week for 6 weeks then take a week off.

etc.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Rookie21 wrote:
obession is what the lazy call dedication. no one gets to be a world champ taking it easy bud.

[/quote]

Yes. 3 times a day is not a lot at all, many world level athletes on the international stage train 6-8hours a day quite consistanly. No its not easy, or fun but its possible with smart training, smart nutrition, smart recovery and a will of steel.