Training Multiple Qualities

After looking at joining the military, it looks like if I decide to join I need to train for aerobic endurance, muscular endurance, and hypertrophy or strength or fat loss(basically need to increase aerobic endurance while dropping bf%: getting this tested monday). After reading Berardi’s “G-Flux” article I’m begining to think it’s possible to train more than one at a time.

Basically I was thinking eating 200g of protein a day, supplement with fish oil and multivitamin, pwo drinks a must, and creatine. Let the rest of the nutrition kinda take care of itself by listening to my body. I’m guessing my intake will be about 5,000 cal a day.

As for the training side I was thinking a 2-3 mile (3-5k) run in the morning, meltdown training in the afternoon and taiji/Qigong and meditation in the evening.

edit:I will try this for 3 weeks, is this a good thing to do? or should I do more of a One Lift a Day instead of Meltdown. Really all I’m looking for is a second opinion, or some advice on how to better train multiple qualities. Of course 6 ppl posting I’m an idiot fore even considering it would work too [it’s motivation if you use a smiley :)]

unless being overweight and out of shape is your main issue I would ditch the meltdown training.

Its a good program but is designed primarily for weightloss… and with all the running you plan and eating right weightloss shouldnt be an issue.

I would stick to a more traditionial weight training program. Personally I feel the weight room is a place for building strength and muscle, it can be used for other things but this is what its best use is. Now more muscle and strength may not be a huge help in boot camp but I wouldnt want to be a weakass if I was going to war.

Running is obviously something you need to train, unless you have ran alot in the past. One thing to remember that many people miss with cardio is variety and progression are important for maximum results.

Now for strength endurance I would be doing pushups/situps/pull ups freaquently. also maybe throw in a day with things like sand bag training/strongman style training (obviously with weight that is more towards endurance and less towards strength)

Finally a high volume of work is something you need to work up to. You can’t just jump right into running/training 7 days a week.

Meltdown training is horrifically brutal. I don’t think it’d be wise to pair it with running, the abovee poster has the right idea

[quote]wyrd1 wrote:
After looking at joining the military, it looks like if I decide to join I need to train for aerobic endurance, muscular endurance, and hypertrophy or strength or fat loss(basically need to increase aerobic endurance while dropping bf%: getting this tested monday). After reading Berardi’s “G-Flux” article I’m begining to think it’s possible to train more than one at a time.

Basically I was thinking eating 200g of protein a day, supplement with fish oil and multivitamin, pwo drinks a must, and creatine. Let the rest of the nutrition kinda take care of itself by listening to my body. I’m guessing my intake will be about 5,000 cal a day.

As for the training side I was thinking a 2-3 mile (3-5k) run in the morning, meltdown training in the afternoon and taiji/Qigong and meditation in the evening.

edit:I will try this for 3 weeks, is this a good thing to do? or should I do more of a One Lift a Day instead of Meltdown. Really all I’m looking for is a second opinion, or some advice on how to better train multiple qualities. Of course 6 ppl posting I’m an idiot fore even considering it would work too [it’s motivation if you use a smiley :)][/quote]

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but:

I’d ignore the hypertrophy as most of your gains in that area will likely be gone at the end of basic due to the extreme calorie restrictions there. Focus on your performance and injury (prehab) considerations instead. The majority of injuries incurred in basic are shin splints and over-use of the shoulder (ungodly numbers of push ups). Aerobic endurance, muscular endurance, and power will serve you best for basic (afterwards will deal with itself). Also, learning to live on few calories and little sleep is good too…

Weights aren’t likely to be around in your basic, so focusing your endurance and power abilities in the realms of push-ups, pull ups, dips, and general core strength will be helpful. For the legs, get ready to walk far carrying heavy things AND runnning 3 times a week with a good number of sprinting sessions as well.

After the advice recieved I will toss the meltdown training.
I am used to training 5-6 days a week so I think adding energy sytems work in the morning would not be difficult. I was thinking training along these lines.

A day: am - 5k run
pm - strength training (total body)
B day: am - tabata/ HIIT
pm - muscular endurance (calisthenics)