Training Max Too Low?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I’ve set my training max too low.

I’m on my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1 and am still hitting way above the required reps on some lifts - for example, today was 3s day for deadlift and I got 11 reps when only 3 were required. Some other lifts are more in line, eg on 5s day on press I got 9 which seems fairly standard.

Just wondered if it would benefit me more to re-set my training max based on my current weights and reps for the lifts I’m managing loads of reps on (mainly deadlifts and bench) or to just stick with it as I am.

Thanks!

You’re fine - keep progressing like normal, and utilize joker sets if you want.

That was an easy one, thanks for the advice!

hey, im having the same worry as OP as well. im doing around 10 reps for my 1+ on my bench days, and i did 12 for my 3+ for my deadlifts. Its still my first cycle tho, ive only recently started on 5/3/1, and i decided to underestimate myself so i could prolong the progression.

Should i reset my max reps? and sorry OP for hijacking the thread, was doing my own searching when i stumbled upon this thread. hopefully we could help each other out!

Don’t worry and keep training as is. One of the main ideas of 5/3/1 is to start light.

But is a 10 rep max for my 1+ set abit light for my 1rm? I know its still my first cycle, but just needing some reassurance here. I dont mind starting light, im just worried it might be a lil too light.

[quote]rafsanjaniii wrote:
But is a 10 rep max for my 1+ set abit light for my 1rm? I know its still my first cycle, but just needing some reassurance here. I dont mind starting light, im just worried it might be a lil too light.[/quote]
I will be the outlier here and say go up 10 lbs in stead of 5 on your next cycle.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

But is a 10 rep max for my 1+ set abit light for my 1rm? I know its still my first cycle, but just needing some reassurance here. I dont mind starting light, im just worried it might be a lil too light.[/quote]
I will be the outlier here and say go up 10 lbs in stead of 5 on your next cycle. [/quote]

If he’s doing Joker Sets he may not need to do that. If he’s using the Beyond template he could always just rep PR a Joker set instead of the TM set.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

I will be the outlier here and say go up 10 lbs in stead of 5 on your next cycle. [/quote]

If he’s doing Joker Sets he may not need to do that. If he’s using the Beyond template he could always just rep PR a Joker set instead of the TM set. [/quote]

Agreed Progress with Jokers. Dont be in a hurry to stall.

You are both fine - you need to learn how to train your effort and will.

Alright noted. Thanks alot everyone!

I scratched out 14 pulls on my 3’s week this week. I have been playing with the 5 forward 3 back deal and this was the first 3 back.