Training Log + Pics + Question

Keep workin. The best advice I can give is keep your core tight when performing any exercise. Don’t overthink what I’m saying, just get tight and move the weight.

And focus on big compound movements.

Worked out again at the on-campus gym
Did a bit of everything, was really tired after a long-ass night and really early morning

Did dumbell press with 45’s and managed to crush my middle finger between two big dumbells, ouch
Did smith-squat with 110 pounds, tired my legs out
Did shoulder press with 60pounds
Preacher curl with 30lbs

Did free-weight hack squats with 80lbs

Will be back at it tomorrow.

Had another great workout today

Did olympic squats with 105 pounds + bar , with several warmup sets with less weight
105 pounds is where I am right now for 5x5 , and I no longer feel pain from letting the bar sit on my shoulders (thanks to towel maybe?)

Did tricep extensions with a 40 lb dumbell 3 sets of 10 reps
10 x 3 Dumbell row with 40 lbs

Dips 5 x 5
Cardio 15 minutes
MMA 1 hour
60 pounds preacher curl on machine 5 x 5

Still sore from yesterday so didn’t do all I could

Quick question

How do you know when it is time to stop bulking and start cutting?

I am thinking, when I can do 1 x body weight on the bench

1.5 x body weight on the squat
and 1.5 times body weight on deadlift ?

I weigh 158 pounds now, do 80 pounds on the bench, 110 pounds on the squat, and 110 pounds on the deadlift

What’s a good way to know when it’s time to start cutting?

Wow, I am getting stronger pretty frikkin fast!

I underestimated by deadlift

Just went downstairs and deadlifted all the plates I had (150 pounds + bar ) with ease 10 x 3, and was itching for more

I like this bulking phase! More weight on the bar is fun stuff!

Had a workout at Extreme Fitness as a guest two days ago, t’was decent but I was really tired, so promised myself to have a coffee before the next workout

Focused on my squat, did 3x10 with 110lb, was pretty challenging but nothing impossible

BB curl superset with DB row 3x10
Curl 60lbs barbel
Row w/ 40lb DB

BB Benchpress 80lbs 5 sets of 4 reps

Tricep cable pull
3x10 40,30,20lbs

Left due to fatigue

Had a coffee today and headed to the gym

Started with a squat, did 3x9 with 120 pounds

Then did DB bench with 40lb dumbells 3x10

DB row w/ 45 lb dumbell 3x10

Dips 1x5, 2x4 just bodyweight

Lat pulldown 80 lbs 3x8

The coffee only helped a little bit, it was a really weird workout, maybe because I didn’t have much to eat before the workout. I couldn’t do dumbell curls for shit, barely curled 25 pounds, so avoided doing them and will do them next time

On the side I’ve been doing deadlifts and misc. workouts in my basement when I just get bored

Deadlifted all the weight I have 10 reps
150 lbs

Did ‘snatch’ with 65lbs, good total body exercise

Just got my protein in the mail just now
Sipping on my first shake

Mixed it with water, a bit too much water, but I think it’ll taste quite good with milk and maybe a banana tomorrow when I bust out the blender.

Does anyone here ever consume protein shakes for breakfast?

Milk + ON 100% whey + frozen banana + ice cubes = fantastic breakfast!

Can anyone comment on the cheapest place to buy ON whey protein online at this time ? I am looking to buy a 5lb jug (shipped to NY)

Worked out at the on campus gym before it closed for the holidays

Had a good meal before the workout, a shake actually, milk, half banana, and some oats, felt quite energetic during the workout and was able to increase some weights

Started with deadlifts but stopped after a total of 15 reps with 120 pounds because I felt my form was not good enough to continue. Will need to do something about that.

Proceeded to dumbbell curls 30lb 3x10

Tricep extensions with 45lb dumbbell 3x10

Shoulder press w/ 35 lb dumbbells 3x10

Preacher curl w/ 30lb + bar 3x10

Did ground base squats with 140lbs 3x8 , excellent leg exercise. Felt my legs really work with this one.

Finished the workout with a quick DB bench press set of 10 reps with 45lb dumbells. Will try to bench 90lbs next time i’m at the gym instead of 80.

Right after the workout had a protein shake w/ half a banana and some strawberries. Delicious.

Still hoping for an answer to my earlier question above ?

Can anyone recommend an effective pre-workout supplement that will give me more power and energy in the gym? Something to take with food 1 hour or so prior to a workout or maybe later

Shake or pill is fine.

Low carb please

Pics of what I have looked like for the better part of my life

http://www.fcibroadband.com/~grilw/Front.jpg

http://www.fcibroadband.com/~grilw/Back.jpg

Ever since the gym closed on the 20th I’ve been struggling to stay consistent and I hate it

Been doing dumbell curls in my basement, clean and jerks, BB bench, and hack squats.

Can’t wait for the gym to reopen.

Can anyone suggest if I should cut first or bulk first based on the pictures I posted?

My new 5 rep max is 105 pounds on the flat bench, noobie gain but to me it’s something

I can finally also do 3 sets of 5 reps of chins with 1 minute breaks