Training Log: Getting Serious!

Ok time for a log, I have one on my computer already but i thought i’d share it with you guys so you can add in critique, or point out any mistakes I could be making.

Current stats: 140lbs, 5’6". Body fat, not sure but I can see my abs when I tense super hard.

Goals: I want to be be and maintain a bodyweight of 180lbs with a very low body fat. So I think that if I aim for about 190-200lbs on the scales, I can cut down to that. I don’t want to really go over 200, so I’m going to try and keep my bulk fairly clean.

Alright, I’m going to be doing a 4 day split, 2 lower body, 2 upper body, and ill change it up in terms of reps/sets in 5 weeks time.

For a diet, 6-7 meals a day, with plently of fruit & veg & LOTS of carbs.

Upper Body1
Bench Press - 3 x 10
Bent Over Row - 3 x 10
Military Press - 3 x 8
Chin Up - 3 x 10 (aim for that)

Upper Body2
Weighted Dips - 5 x 5
Wide Grip Pull Up - 3 x 8 (aim for that)
DB Shoulder Press - 3 x 8
Hang Cleans - 4 x 6

Lower Body1
Squats - 7,5,3,5,7
Leg Press - 5 x 10 (Increase weight each set)
Standing Leg Curl - 4 x 10 (Increase weight each set)

Lower Body2
Deadlift - 3 x 6
Barbell Lunge - 4 x 10
Lying Leg Curl - 3 x 10 (Squeeze for 2 sec at top of movement

On top of this program, I also have to do quite a bit of training on my PT course.

On tuesdays there is adv. CV work, and T.I.D.E (Training in different enviroments) which is usually a bit of interval endurance work.

For thursdays, there is adv. resistance training. This upcoming week we’re testing our 1RM on machines…

Ok so here we go:

8th January, 2007, Monday.

Diet:
11am - Breakfast 1 Protein Shake, 2 bits of toast.
1:15pm - Snack Optimum Recovery with Milk
4pm - Lunch 6oz Chicken, 1 1/2 cup Pasta & Veg
6:30pm - Snack 1 Protein Bar
9:15pm - Dinner 8oz Steak, Fat Oven Chips, Veg
10:30pm - Snack 1 Protein Shake, 4 fish oil caps
11:30pm - Bedtime Yoghurt & 300ml Milk
1:20am - Omgwtf? 4oz Cheese, 1 Crossiant, 1 Apple

Training:
Start: 12:30pm
End: 1.15pm

Barbell Bench Press - 10 with 50kg, 10 with 47.5kg, 10 with 47.5kg. 90 second rest between sets.
Bent Over Row - 10 with 50kg, 10 with 50kg, 10 with 50kg. 90 second rest between sets.
Military Press - 8 with 30kg, 8 with 30kg, 8 with 30kg. 90 second rest between sets.
Chin up - 10 , 10 , 9. 90 second rest between sets.

Training went well, I was happy with the quality of reps I performed with Bench Press, however the bent over rows were sorta sloppy.

I felt a bit sore in my upper pecs/shoulders from the military presses (first time i’ve done them) and its the first time i’ve felt sore in my upper body in a very long time.

9th January, 2007, Tuesday

Diet for tuesday:
8:10am - Breakfast: 1 Protein Shake, Bowl of Alpen
10:30am - Snack: 1 Banana, 1 Apple
1:10pm - Lunch: 2 Scotch Eggs, 1 Crossiant
4:15pm - Snack: Flapjack
6:45pm - Dinner: Homemade Pizza (2 slices)
8:30pm - Snack: Optimum Recovery
9:30pm - Snack: Rest of the Pizza (2 slices)
10pm - Bedtime: 1 Protein Shake, 2 fish oil caps
12:20am - omgwtf: 3oz Cheese, 3oz Chicken, 250ml Milk, 2 fish oil caps

training for tuesday:

2pm: Started Power Walking
4:15pm: Finished Power Walking.

The power walking was suprisingly hard, and my tibialis anterior burned like crazy. I am happy though, since I feel my legs are under-developed and could use quite a bit of volume to get them into shape. I struggled for most of it but hopefully my body will adapt and be better prepared next week.

On a side note: I’m worried with this cardio that it will affect my bulking, but hopefully if I step up the calories I should be ok.

workout start: 7:30pm
workout end: 8:30pm
Squat - 7 w/ 60kg, 5 w/ 70kg, 4 w/ 80kg, 6 w/ 70kg, 9 w/ 60kg. 2min rest between sets

Leg Press - 10 w/ 80kg, 10 w/ 90kg, 11 w/ 100kg, 12 w/ 100kg, 10 w/ 120kg 2min rest between sets

Standing Leg Curl - 5 w/ 20kg, 5 w/ 20kg, 10 w/ 10kg, 10 w/ 15kg 90 sec. rest between sets

further notes:

Had a nice nap for about an hour from 5:30 to 6:30pm, but that was because I was fucking wiped out from the walking.

Despite the fact I was slightly fatigued from the walking earlier. I still felt I had a GREAT workout. The squats were so much easier than last week, even though I used the same weight. When I came to my last set, 60kg felt like nothing, weight will definitely go up a lot next week.

I also suprised myself with the strength on the leg press, I might of gone abit overboard with 5 sets, but i will just increase the weight next week and stick to 4.

For the leg curl, I didn’t really plan it and hoped to do stiff-legged deadlifts, but the gym was too busy. It still went ok though and I felt I managed a good workout with them.

10th January, 2007, wednesday

diet:
1:30pm - Breakfast: 2 bits of Toast, Protein Shake, 2 fish oil caps
2:45pm - Snack: 1 apple, 1 Protein Bar
4:15pm - Lunch: 4 egg Omlette, 6oz pasta w/ tomato sauce
6:30pm - Snack: 1 Banana, 1 Orange, 1 Apple
8pm - Dinner: 6oz chicken & pasta
10:30pm - Bedtime: 1 Protein Shake, 3 fish oil caps
12am - …: hot cross bun, 300ml milk

training:
having unprotected sex with a dozen prostitutes.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

Diet for tuesday:

training for tuesday:
start: 7:30pm
end: 8:30pm
Squat - 7 w/ 60kg, 5 w/ 70kg, 4 w/ 80kg, 6 w/ 70kg, 9 w/ 60kg. 2min rest between sets
Leg Press - 10 w/ 80kg, 10 w/ 90kg, 11 w/ 100kg, 12 w/ 100kg, 10 w/ 120kg 2min rest between sets
Standing Leg Curl - 5 w/ 20kg, 5 w/ 20kg, 10 w/ 10kg, 10 w/ 15kg 90 sec. rest between sets

further notes:
Had a nice nap for about an hour from 5:30 to 6:30pm, but that was because I was fucking wiped out from:

3 hours of speed walking (i know, what the fuck!) that the instructors on the PT course took us out to do. [/quote]

Hi,

It’s good that you’re starting a log here, so you will get advice and also be more accountable.

One thing I noticed just on a quick read through, is you need to be eating MORE. For example the day shown here is very light on calories and esp if you’re doing physical stuff on your course as well as training, you will find it hard to bulk up unless you get more food in.

I know it is hard if you’re working to someone elses timetable, as your meal times etc may be set, but you need to try and get some protein shakes etc down you inbetween proper substantial meals. If you don’t eat enough, you won’t build any muscle and also that is why you are waking up in the night hungry (I know this from experience). Lunch of 2 scotch eggs and a crossiant just won’t do it, I recommend you read some of the eating for mass articles on here and get organised to up your calories big time.

Good luck with it all,
L&E

PS. I hope the sex comment was meant just to grab some attention otherwise you’ll need more cals plus a trip to the STD clinic lol!

[quote]Lift & Eat wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

Diet for tuesday:

training for tuesday:
start: 7:30pm
end: 8:30pm

further notes:
Had a nice nap for about an hour from 5:30 to 6:30pm, but that was because I was fucking wiped out from:

3 hours of speed walking (i know, what the fuck!) that the instructors on the PT course took us out to do.

Hi,

It’s good that you’re starting a log here, so you will get advice and also be more accountable.

One thing I noticed just on a quick read through, is you need to be eating MORE. For example the day shown here is very light on calories and esp if you’re doing physical stuff on your course as well as training, you will find it hard to bulk up unless you get more food in.

I know it is hard if you’re working to someone elses timetable, as your meal times etc may be set, but you need to try and get some protein shakes etc down you inbetween proper substantial meals. If you don’t eat enough, you won’t build any muscle and also that is why you are waking up in the night hungry (I know this from experience). Lunch of 2 scotch eggs and a crossiant just won’t do it, I recommend you read some of the eating for mass articles on here and get organised to up your calories big time.

Good luck with it all,
L&E

PS. I hope the sex comment was meant just to grab some attention otherwise you’ll need more cals plus a trip to the STD clinic lol!

[/quote]

thanks for the advice, yeah on paper it doesn’t look like much, i will try to step it up.

And yea the sex comment was a joke haha.

11th January, 2007, Thursday

What I ate for today:

8:15am - Breakfast - Protein Shake, 2 cups of Oatmeal, 1 Banana, 2 fish oil caps
10:30am - Snack - Protein Bar
1pm - Lunch - 10oz Chicken, 2 hot cross buns
4:30pm - Post Workout - Optimum Recovery
6:15pm - Dinner 2 cup mashed potato, 1 cup veggies, 3 sausages
8:30pm - Post Workout - Optimum Recovery
10:30pm - Snack - 1 small pizza
11:30pm - Bedtime - 1 Protein Shake, 3 fish oil caps

Yea, there is 2 post-workout drinks in there, I did a workout at the gym for my personal training course today, we had to workout our 10 RM’s for each body part, it kicked my ass.

Ok so heres the training I did for today:

Workout Start: 3:30pm
Workout Finish: 4:22pm

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 17.5kg for 10 RM
Lying Leg Curl: 45kg for 10 RM
Tricep Pushdown: 50kg for 10 RM
Abdominal Curl: 65kg for 10 RM
Pec Deck: 55kg for 10 RM
Lat Pulldown: 65kg for 10 RM
Leg Extension: 132lbs for 10 RM
Dumbbell Screw Curl: 12.5kg for 10 RM
Back Extension: 100lbs for 10 RM

Pleased with strength on most exercises, and performed strict solid reps. However I am slightly disappointed with the DB screw curl, my form suffered slightly and I felt weaker than usual on it. I am putting that down to partly fatiguing my biceps on the Lat pulldown though. Also suprised myself quite a bit on back extension & pec deck!

second workout:

start: 7:15pm
end: 8:15pm

Weighted dips: 4 sets of 5 reps w/ 22.5kg attached, 1 set of 10 reps w/ 22.5kg attached. 90 second rest between sets.
Wide-Grip Pull Ups: 4 sets of 6 reps, 90 second rest between sets
Hang Clean: 3 sets of 5 with 40kg. 90 second rest between sets
Clean & Press: 2 sets of 10 with 25kg. 60 second rest between set, first set done immediately after finishing hang cleans.

comments: really suprised myself with weighted dips, no idea how i managed to push out 10 on the final set, but i did. I’m going to add another 20kg plate next week.

For the pull ups, im not doing so good on those, i barely finished my sets/reps. The hang clean & clean & press was a spur of the moment decision to do, I didn’t feel like doing DB shoulder press since I did it earlier, however they really kicked my ass and i was pouring w/ sweat in no time.

I’m worried about over-training, i am not too fond of the idea of doing RM’s every week at the PT course. I know that next week is 8 RM’s, then 6 RM’s, 4 RM’s, 2 RM’s then 1 RM’s, ugh.

12th January, Friday…

ok shit, didn’t do so good today. I was quite busy doing a few things and forgot to eat, and went out for drinks. Heres how the food went:

12:30pm - Breakfast - Bowl of Alpen, Banana, Apple, Protein Shake, 2 fish oil capsules.
2:30pm - Protein Bar
4pm - Half a Jacket Potato, Half a can of tuna
7pm-1am - LOTS OF ALCOHOL
1:20am - Large chicken salad

Woke up today (saturday) and I feel like i’ve lost 10lbs of muscle, i hate drinking…

Alright I had a shitty day again (the 13th january) and the pizza/burger & all the shit I ate did a number on my face (acne)

So starting from today (the 14th) i’m going to eat a very super squeaky clean diet to try and clear up my skin, and maybe just maintain my current weight.

Also a note: I cut back on training since the 11th, because I have a DRIVING TEST on the 15th, and I went to be completely 100% focused so I pass it.

Food for the 14th

11:30am - Breakfast - 1 Apple, 1 Orange, 500ml bottle of water

12:30pm - Snack - 6oz Chicken, 1 tbsp Flaxseed Oil, 500ml bottle of water

2:30pm - Bowl of Alpen, 1 tbsp Flaxeed Oil, 500ml bottle of water

4:20pm - 1 Apple, 1 Orange, 3 fish oil capsules, 500ml bottle of water

5:30pm - Yoghurt

6:00pm - 6oz chicken, 1 cup rice, 1 cup vegetables

Sleep from 7:45pm - 11:30pm

11:45pm - 4 fish oil capsules, 1 protein shake

Sleep…