T Nation

Training Legs

Lol, I’m a newb, but yeah, I agree w/ Evan. A guy I work with has a 700 DL and a low 600 squat, and a 455 front squat. I’d say you’re good.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Hey what the hell, in the spirit of leg exercises, here’s a [beltless] front squat PR from this morning:

Im not impressed H4M. Any lifter with that awesome song playing in the background could front squat that much!!

Lol it’s true akuma, the secret is the amazing music at my gym.

Fandango, My deadlift is at 685, my best back squat is 525…best front squat is 475…FWIW. Don’t worry about proportions too much, as long as all lifts are going up over time.

bump

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
bump[/quote]

Uhm… real bodybuilders don’t train legs. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
bump[/quote]

Uhm… real bodybuilders don’t train legs. Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

Shhhhhhhh! It’s OK, I don’t want to get too big

Stiff leg deadlifts- The real way.

Was approached by Nasser El sonbaty a few days ago as he lifts occasionally in my gym (any who have read my indigo log might have seen this). He started basically running me through a Leg routine. One big thing i took away was the way he had me do Stiff leg deadlifts. Prior to this, i assumed i was doing them right- Mid grip, back arched, lower the weight as low as possible, then swing the hips forward to raise, keeping the tension out of your back.

However, he waved it away. Back arched, mid grip, and lowering the weight. In this instance though, the barbell should stretch past the toes. Pulling up stopped at the knee cap, but you wanted to the barbell to literally be ON your kneecap. So essentially, you lowered the weight in sort of an angle (think right triangle). Start at the kneecap, extend just past the toes, then back up stopping at the knees. This put a HUGE stretch on my hams. Kept the same weight and just repped out a dozen for several sets. Felt amazing. (since the thread was bumped )

So there no hip thrust at the top and the bar never goes higher than slightly above knee? Also, does med grip mean shoulder width? For some reason my lats are always sore the day after doing heavy SLDLs. I figured it was some kind of a form issue…?

[quote]EctoMorphosis wrote:
So there no hip thrust at the top and the bar never goes higher than slightly above knee? Also, does med grip mean shoulder width? For some reason my lats are always sore the day after doing heavy SLDLs. I figured it was some kind of a form issue…? [/quote]

Correct, no hip thrust, and no coming higher than the knees. When i say med grip, i suppose i mean one of those 8-10inc wide grips.

When i did this movement with him, he stuck me on 95lbs. Im assuming that the reason behind it is due to simply getting the fullest stretch possible. SO id suggest dropping the weight and getting the movement down pat. Focus on the depth of the stretch, get that bar past your toes Slow down, fast up.

IMHO, With Stretch focus movements, Form always trumps weight

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]EctoMorphosis wrote:
So there no hip thrust at the top and the bar never goes higher than slightly above knee? Also, does med grip mean shoulder width? For some reason my lats are always sore the day after doing heavy SLDLs. I figured it was some kind of a form issue…? [/quote]

Correct, no hip thrust, and no coming higher than the knees. When i say med grip, i suppose i mean one of those 8-10inc wide grips.

When i did this movement with him, he stuck me on 95lbs. Im assuming that the reason behind it is due to simply getting the fullest stretch possible. SO id suggest dropping the weight and getting the movement down pat. Focus on the depth of the stretch, get that bar past your toes Slow down, fast up.

IMHO, With Stretch focus movements, Form always trumps weight[/quote]

This.

Since I started focusing more on the stretch on SLDLs, I have really seen an improvement in my hamstrings. Using 25 lb plates instead of 45s allows you to do this even better. I really like doing them where I will lower slow and get as deep a stretch as possible, hold it for 2 seconds, then explode halfway up and go back down…bottom half partials with stretch emphasis are great with SLDLs.

Just came across this vid, have never tried it but it look interesting and a possibly decent variation depending on equipment and how careful you are:

some leg pics…

Looking pretty beastly Myo.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
Looking pretty beastly Myo. [/quote]
thank you brother. I’m loving your threads my man… being a leg freak myself I had to chime in lol.

Jeez you in off season or going into a competition? Looking lean and huge

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Jeez you in off season or going into a competition? Looking lean and huge[/quote]
that was in pre contest mode.

Any tips on training legs with just a barbell and dumbbells? feel like i have to do more than squat variations, but i only have the basics. Barbell, Dumbbells Power rack, adjustable bench and a prowler.

I sometimes do a ham-curl with dumbbell but it just feels awkward. The prowler can work the quads very well, but i want more hamstring work.

[quote]Defiance wrote:
Any tips on training legs with just a barbell and dumbbells? feel like i have to do more than squat variations, but i only have the basics. Barbell, Dumbbells Power rack, adjustable bench and a prowler.

I sometimes do a ham-curl with dumbbell but it just feels awkward. The prowler can work the quads very well, but i want more hamstring work. [/quote]

I find these hit the hamstrings and glutes well. Dave_ posted about them in the Alpha Cell wheels thread.

Besides that, DB and BB stiff leg deadlifts obviously.

Edit: Apologies if this is a repost or something, I haven’t read the entire thread yet.

Have you tried placing a barbell on the floor w/25’s on each side, set weight in front behind so it doesnt roll, and put your feet under the barbell lying face down and do a glute ham raise type movement?

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
some leg pics…[/quote]

Bloody hell, that’s spectacular, Myo!