Training Legs with Knee Pain?

Agree on the IT band, definitely something else that can pull too hard laterally on your knee and wreak havoc. If foam rolling helps, you could try some of this in the meantime. I’d try really hitting the IT band area, outer quad and middle of the quad, try all both with your leg straight and leg bent (hits different areas). There’s some decent IT/outer hip stretches that could help, for me the best was trying to stretch hip flexors with a long low lunge type stretch (can play around with reaching back for the ankle or propping it up too). If this seems to start alleviate it, I’d think it would point more towards an alignment thing rather than a tendon issue, but you have to keep in mind I’m a random anonymous guy on the internet. If it’s alignment (and assuming it’s outward) there are plenty of strengthening things you can work on too to try to get the VMO going more to pull them back inwards.

I have had some similar issues it ended up being some torn fascia in my VMO… active release doctor deff helped to remove scar tissue, stretch fascia and release adhesions as well as continuously stretching your hips as well total some pressure off of your knees… I also used TB500 for 6 weeks and it deff helped me as well.

When I get knee pain, I change to single leg exercises(at least for the quads) and stay on them for a month or so. It really seems to help. I also break from the hips rather than from the knees.
Leg extensions, don’t fully lock out,
Look into agile8 drills, like fire hydrants and other drills really good for mobility. Foam rolling etc.
Trap bar deadlifts seem to target the quads more for taller lifters. They work a bit like hack lifts(not hack machine squats).

Search the main page for squatting tips, knee pain, mobility etc, it will come up with some good drills to improve your technique, and flexibility.

Thanks for this insight, When i was much much younger, I remember hyper-extending my knee playing basketball and I never saw the dr. just let it heal naturally …smh… now the problem is i dont remember what knee it was, but it might be this one that i have problems with. Did you get x-rays done? how did you determine that you had some torn fascia in your VMO? I really appreciate your feedback! Thanks again!

That’s a good point. Many times I do feel very tight in my lower body, tight hip flexors and extensors. I foam roll but definitely not as much as i should, and when i do, it helps… I am going to check out Kelly Starrett! definitely appreciate this info!

Definitely going to try the IT band foam roll more. I do neglect that and I am very aware of the importance… Thanks again for your input on this, really helps!

I never go it x rayed but my ART guy could feel it he said he was almost positive that’s what it was he was a huge help in hip glute ham and quad mobility as well

I noticed the TB 500 is pretty expensive? Is this prescription or where can I get it besides online? I’m reading good things about it.

I was getting mine from peptide websites I forget exactly which one I believe I did 2ng x2 a week for 5 weeks