Training Legs More Than Once/Wk

How do they recovery that fast? ,do you think there are WORLD RECORD powerlifters who trained “clean” during their life? [training legs 2 times heavy per week, 3 times (is obviously a light one)]

And about training ,training leg 3 times a week? oh ,ok i understand ,once light, twice medium ,third HEAVY ,i get it but still ,thats like “lol” why they dont just train heavy once per week and thats all? it is to avoid possible injury?

When im doing squats ,i get sore after 2 normal sets and 2 heavy sets (i guess its becuz of low ATP in my muscles since i dont take creatine… : ( ,if im not wrong right?) ,how many sets are they doing for squats (with 3-5 reps each) ? 5 sets? ,7 sets? more?.. ,i am death after 2 sets pff… : ( (i feel like i cant squat anymore after 2 heavy sets of 3-4 reps and il drop the bar, but this is happening only to squats, maybe is not because of my “low atp” but because i havent trained my legs for 2 weeks? : P

I have 136 pounds, i started squatting FOR REAL like 3 months ago (like 9 months training for legs so far, obviously for everything not just legs, but 9 times ago i was doing for size purpose ,3 months ago i started seriously thinking about powerlifting), my strength increases dramatically for someone who dont take supplements and eat like crap, i know : D (maybe its a gift or is just because my body is shocked for now), 3 months ago i was doing squats with 198lbs, now im doing with 308lbs, i always trained my muscles once per week because they are recovering slowly (triceps,shoulders and other minor muscles recover in 3-4 days ,only my legs and chest recovers in like 5-6 days) ,so i guess those who recover in 2-3 days are on “enhanced drugs” right?

“sry for the long topic, thanks for taking your time to read” !

Everybody who’s stronger than you is using massive steroids. It’s not that they’ve built up their strength and ability to recover over decades and through proper nutrition and supplementation.

Is that what you were looking for?

Maybe you just have pussy legs.

You will adapt. I’m not even a good squatter, but I do legs twice a week plus deadlifts. I have done Smolov before, which is 4 times a week. One of my training buddies used to train legs heavy every single day. Made huge gains doing that too. Neither of us have ever juiced. You just have to tough it out.

You don’t need creatine either lol. You can do all that shit totally supplement free. Ben Rice went a long time taking zero supplements and he trains Sheiko, squatting twice per week for like 20 sets each day.

lol

Look up Pat Mendes, then realize that he trains 13 times/week, squatting and O-lifts every session. Yes, your legs will adapt. Now go and squat something.

[quote]csulli wrote:
You will adapt. I’m not even a good squatter, but I do legs twice a week plus deadlifts. I have done Smolov before, which is 4 times a week. One of my training buddies used to train legs heavy every single day. Made huge gains doing that too. Neither of us have ever juiced. You just have to tough it out.

You don’t need creatine either lol. You can do all that shit totally supplement free. Ben Rice went a long time taking zero supplements and he trains Sheiko, squatting twice per week for like 20 sets each day.[/quote]
He just completed Smolov base along with Smolov Jr as well

[quote]OmniStyx wrote:
Look up Pat Mendes, then realize that he trains 13 times/week, squatting and O-lifts every session. Yes, your legs will adapt. Now go and squat something.[/quote]

You mean Pat Mendes that is currently on suspension for failing out of meet testing?

Yes it’s possible to squat more than once a week. It’s possible to squat heavy more than once a week. Not everybody is the same. Some people will do better with more, some with less.

Maybe you just have pussy legs.

I think this is one of the biggest things Ive learned in the last couple years, like everyone else is saying: you will adapt. So sore you cant walk for two days after squatting heavy? Been there. Once I started squatting or pulling every other day, I havent had DOMS in my legs since.

Forcing the body to adapt is a pretty big facet of what all weightlifters are trying to accomplish.

[quote]mkral55 wrote:
I think this is one of the biggest things Ive learned in the last couple years, like everyone else is saying: you will adapt. So sore you cant walk for two days after squatting heavy? Been there. Once I started squatting or pulling every other day, I havent had DOMS in my legs since.

Forcing the body to adapt is a pretty big facet of what all weightlifters are trying to accomplish.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more, I squat 3-5 days in a row sometimes and usually feel my best at the end of the week than after rest periods. As John Broz says “How you feel is a lie”

[quote]Razetsu wrote:
How do they recovery that fast? ,do you think there are WORLD RECORD powerlifters who trained “clean” during their life? [training legs 2 times heavy per week, 3 times (is obviously a light one)]

And about training ,training leg 3 times a week? oh ,ok i understand ,once light, twice medium ,third HEAVY ,i get it but still ,thats like “lol” why they dont just train heavy once per week and thats all? it is to avoid possible injury?

When im doing squats ,i get sore after 2 normal sets and 2 heavy sets (i guess its becuz of low ATP in my muscles since i dont take creatine… : ( ,if im not wrong right?) ,how many sets are they doing for squats (with 3-5 reps each) ? 5 sets? ,7 sets? more?.. ,i am death after 2 sets pff… : ( (i feel like i cant squat anymore after 2 heavy sets of 3-4 reps and il drop the bar, but this is happening only to squats, maybe is not because of my “low atp” but because i havent trained my legs for 2 weeks? : P

I have 136 pounds, i started squatting FOR REAL like 3 months ago (like 9 months training for legs so far, obviously for everything not just legs, but 9 times ago i was doing for size purpose ,3 months ago i started seriously thinking about powerlifting), my strength increases dramatically for someone who dont take supplements and eat like crap, i know : D (maybe its a gift or is just because my body is shocked for now), 3 months ago i was doing squats with 198lbs, now im doing with 308lbs, i always trained my muscles once per week because they are recovering slowly (triceps,shoulders and other minor muscles recover in 3-4 days ,only my legs and chest recovers in like 5-6 days) ,so i guess those who recover in 2-3 days are on “enhanced drugs” right?

“sry for the long topic, thanks for taking your time to read” ![/quote]

If it takes 5-6 days for your chest and legs to recover, you may have deficiencies in steak, milk, eggs and turkey. Overtraining is usually undereating

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]Razetsu wrote:

If it takes 5-6 days for your chest and legs to recover, you may have deficiencies in steak, milk, eggs and turkey. Overtraining is usually undereating[/quote]

And Undersleeping

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

You don’t need creatine either lol. You can do all that shit totally supplement free. Ben Rice went a long time taking zero supplements and he trains Sheiko, squatting twice per week for like 20 sets each day.[/quote]
He just completed Smolov base along with Smolov Jr as well[/quote]
Yea but that was after he went back on creatine bro

trollface

[quote]Gman62 wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]Razetsu wrote:

If it takes 5-6 days for your chest and legs to recover, you may have deficiencies in steak, milk, eggs and turkey. Overtraining is usually undereating[/quote]

And Undersleeping[/quote]

True… I guess it might vary for different people. I always felt like food was more important. I mean they’re both important, but I’ve recovered from heavy workouts with little sleep( > 7 hours) but if I don’t eat enough on one day I feel like shit all week

Okay, this is sort of a thread hijack but is right in line with what the OP is curious about.
I love lifting and if I could have a valid excuse to get into the gym every day I’d do it.

I also admit I’ve been a low volume guy for a long time. However, I’m not thinking my way (which is hardly “my” way) of 5x5 pull monday squat wednsday and push friday is the only way. Not at all.

What I’m curious about is this (and I mean just curious, not I’m trying to make an argument): The daily squatting thing has been in vogue for awhile now. If it were a haircut it’d be the mullet in 1988. I also understand that the great lord Bulgarians were using it, so it has an obvious long history.

However I have a suspicion. Lifters like to lift. Give 'em plan A which has 'em lift 2x per week and make progress or plan B which has them in the gym twice a day, 6 days a week for the same progress and they’ll choose plan B simply because they get to justify being in the gym more often.

So my question is, now that the daily squatting has been around long enough to evaluate–are daily squatters Far out squatting the 1 or 2 times per week (like Westside style with ME & DE days) guys. Are higher squat numbers being put up at meets than those who followed (as an example only) Fred Hatfield’s way or the Texas Method?

Not an argument–I’m thinking of trying this myself. What’s stopping me is the thought that if you’re just going to end up with the same result why not spend less time in the gym (not to be read as “don’t bust your ass when you are there”) and do other stuff with your time?

I am wondering how much time will take me to adapt to squats/benchpress/deadlift (well i barely started deadlifts)

For now im doing power bodybuilding, i am still at begin (1 year is way too short training and since i train heavy for only 3 months ,i guess i should not care about this that much right now)

ATM im happy with my current progress in strength ,even if i eat like crap and dont take supplements (so i dont put muscles at all because i burn more than i eat ,pff : (, thats a shame but thats the life ,il have to accept the fact that im to poor to invest for my body right now) ,I AM CONSIDERING that putting your body in huge stress may also make you stronger if you’re start doing it natural ,should be a shock for body to lift heavy with crappy diet and no supplements ,am i right ???

[quote]Razetsu wrote:
I am wondering how much time will take me to adapt to squats/benchpress/deadlift (well i barely started deadlifts)

For now im doing power bodybuilding, i am still at begin (1 year is way too short training and since i train heavy for only 3 months ,i guess i should not care about this that much right now)

ATM im happy with my current progress in strength ,even if i eat like crap and dont take supplements (so i dont put muscles at all because i burn more than i eat ,pff : (, thats a shame but thats the life ,il have to accept the fact that im to poor to invest for my body right now) ,I AM CONSIDERING that putting your body in huge stress may also make you stronger if you’re start doing it natural ,should be a shock for body to lift heavy with crappy diet and no supplements ,am i right ???[/quote]
You’re right. If you don’t have that great of a diet and if you don’t get enough sleep it can be harder for your body to adapt to a higher work load. The majority of that equation though I still believe is putting in the time under the bar and forcing your brain and muscles and endocrine system to get used to big lifting with more frequency.

[quote]pulphero wrote:
Okay, this is sort of a thread hijack but is right in line with what the OP is curious about.
I love lifting and if I could have a valid excuse to get into the gym every day I’d do it.

I also admit I’ve been a low volume guy for a long time. However, I’m not thinking my way (which is hardly “my” way) of 5x5 pull monday squat wednsday and push friday is the only way. Not at all.

What I’m curious about is this (and I mean just curious, not I’m trying to make an argument): The daily squatting thing has been in vogue for awhile now. If it were a haircut it’d be the mullet in 1988. I also understand that the great lord Bulgarians were using it, so it has an obvious long history.

However I have a suspicion. Lifters like to lift. Give 'em plan A which has 'em lift 2x per week and make progress or plan B which has them in the gym twice a day, 6 days a week for the same progress and they’ll choose plan B simply because they get to justify being in the gym more often.

So my question is, now that the daily squatting has been around long enough to evaluate–are daily squatters Far out squatting the 1 or 2 times per week (like Westside style with ME & DE days) guys. Are higher squat numbers being put up at meets than those who followed (as an example only) Fred Hatfield’s way or the Texas Method?

Not an argument–I’m thinking of trying this myself. What’s stopping me is the thought that if you’re just going to end up with the same result why not spend less time in the gym (not to be read as “don’t bust your ass when you are there”) and do other stuff with your time?[/quote]

For most people, greater-frequency training is going to make recovery between individual sessions over time. If you’re on a movement-based split in which you’re performing each movement only once per week, of course, you’re going to need more time to recover from that movement; most people who I know that train this way complain of DOMS after most sessions, but they also have a good chunk of time with which to recover.

But too many people confuse “greater-frequency” with “harder” or “more intense,” like TS here. You can squat once per week and need that entire week to recover, and you can squat every day and see your strength atrophy. I’d imagine everyone on this forum could probably squat the bar for one repetition daily, and doing so would qualify them as an “every-day” squatter; but this clearly wouldn’t improve the squat max of most every trained individual.

Generally speaking, you try and do as little as possible while still making progress; you try to “optimize” your results from training by not doing any unnecessary work. But squatting X number of days isn’t necessarily more difficult, since volume and intensity aren’t even being factored in. Yes, Westside has you squatting once per week (in addition to a DE session), but that one session usually has you attempting three high-intensity singles (90%+). That program pushes more high-intensity work because the total volume isn’t as high as a higher-frequency program. And for a multi-ply lifter, it would be difficult to run high-frequency training while in gear, so the conjugate method is a necessary adaptation to the conditions of geared training.

To answer your question about who’s putting up the biggest numbers, some are high-frequency guys and some aren’t. There are still many ways to achieve world-class status, and high-frequency training is not a necessity. In general, top (raw, at least) squatters will be squatting more than once per week, but then you’ve got someone like Stan Efferding who squats heavy once every two weeks.

People get too caught up in what others are making progress doing. Strength training is a long process: experiment on yourself and discover what your limits are. Do the work necessary for you to get better.

[quote]Razetsu wrote:
I AM CONSIDERING that putting your body in huge stress may also make you stronger if you’re start doing it natural[/quote]

Okay, stop with this apologist natural stuff. I’m 26, I compete at 148 lbs., I weigh around 155 lbs. outside of competition, and I’ve squatted 510 in knee wraps, benched 310 with a pause, and deadlifted 575 all in this training cycle. I just ran the base cycle and Smolov Jr. back-to-back over an eight-week period, while deadlifting. And I’m natural. AND I don’t regularly take BIG BAD CREATINE.

And I haven’t been in this sport for more than five years. And my level of talent, compared to some of the really good lifters in this sport, is laughable.

So let’s not set the bar so incredibly, pathetically low that a NATURAL and NO-CREATINE lifter can’t squat more than once per week.