T Nation

Training Lagging Parts

I’m currently doing Waterbury’s ABBH II program, which I’ve had success with in the past. One thing I struggle with is determining how often to train lagging areas. The most pre-dominant issue I have is with my rear delts, do to years of poor training methods (Frat Boy Syndrome). I want to train this not only to bring them up but to help correct some rotation that I have as a result.

I’ve added more back work to assist in strengthening my back more to help with the caveman posture. I want to train rear-delts more but what do you guys recommend for volume during the week? Is 2-3 times per week too much given the ABBH program? I’m also doing corrective stretching and exercises as well based on another article here on T-Nation?

Thanks for your feedback and ideas.

I have worked rear delts on most workout days as part of rehab from a back injury, spending a good part of the past 2 years trying to correct a rounding of my back that resulted. They are a small muscle group, so can be worked at higher reps and more frequently. Face pulls, reverse flyes, etc. are all good excersises. Foam rolling can be useful as well. When you work your chest, be sure to stretch to prevent tightening/shortening.

[quote]j.winchell wrote:
I want to train rear-delts more but what do you guys recommend for volume during the week? Is 2-3 times per week too much given the ABBH program? [/quote]

I’m not familiar with ABBH, but training a muscle 2-3 times a week usually isn’t a problem as long as you do it intelligently.