Training Just 2 Days a Week?

[quote]Scott M wrote:

Well, I expected some insight about that matter when I posted my situation. I think that I remember somebody (a famous bodybuilder) that went to recommend working out every 15 days or so. However, I may be wrong.

Sounds like Mike Mentzer and I’ll just leave it at he went a little crazy towards the end of his life.

If 2 times a week is all you can manage check out Iron Addict(google him) and some of his 2 day a week routines for an idea on how to set it up. [/quote]

I did some research and I think that indeed, I was talking about Mike Mentzer (also found out that he wasn’t exactly right).

Anyway, I googled Iron Addict and found some insight about how to set up 2 days a week routines (although I think that he spreads the routines through the week instead of being one the next day after the other). At any rate, I think that it can be useful as a backup plan if the third workout that I have planned turns out to be too much.

I workout twice per week and it’s worked fine for me. Honestly, I’d workout more often but I’ve been experiencing a bout of Chronic Fatigue the last number of years which severely impacts my recovery.

It is doable though. Stick to basic compound lifts, low volume, and concentrate on getting stronger. I’ve made significant gains doing this while remaining lean.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Whether you decide to cut or bulk you shouldn’t be changing anaerobic training quite much, cardio and diet are the key. I think you’ll find results with that approach, but be careful about the exercises you choose for each bodypart; I can’t tell you which ones to choose, that’s a subjective matter, just choose the ones that are the most efficient in terms of workload (the most) and time (the least), FOR YOU. Be honest with yourself, to be effective you shouldn’t choose the exercises you like, you may hate them, but they should be the most efficient.

Thanks for the advice. I think that I use the best excercises in terms of workload (Deadlift, squat, vertical push and pull; and horizontal push and pull) and time. I would like to get some isolation work after, but I will see what is effective and how much time do I have. By the way, if I’m thinking wrong, please, correct me.[/quote]

Check your body for disadvantageous dominances. Ex. if you’re bicep dominant on back exercises you won’t get most of the work on your back, if you’re triceps dominant you won’t get the chest and shoulders you want. If you’re hip dominant or pretty tall and long limbed, it’ll not be the best option to use squat for quad building.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
Whether you decide to cut or bulk you shouldn’t be changing anaerobic training quite much, cardio and diet are the key. I think you’ll find results with that approach, but be careful about the exercises you choose for each bodypart; I can’t tell you which ones to choose, that’s a subjective matter, just choose the ones that are the most efficient in terms of workload (the most) and time (the least), FOR YOU. Be honest with yourself, to be effective you shouldn’t choose the exercises you like, you may hate them, but they should be the most efficient.

Thanks for the advice. I think that I use the best excercises in terms of workload (Deadlift, squat, vertical push and pull; and horizontal push and pull) and time. I would like to get some isolation work after, but I will see what is effective and how much time do I have. By the way, if I’m thinking wrong, please, correct me.

Check your body for disadvantageous dominances. Ex. if you’re bicep dominant on back exercises you won’t get most of the work on your back, if you’re triceps dominant you won’t get the chest and shoulders you want. If you’re hip dominant or pretty tall and long limbed, it’ll not be the best option to use squat for quad building.

[/quote]

I understand your point and well, I’m not tall nor long limbed (I’m about 1.73 m tall). I’m not bicep dominant on my back excercises. I’m fairly triceps dominant on some excercises. What do you recommend?

I was thinking of doing squats, deadlifts, push ups on gymnastic rings (spreading my arms when lowering myself), pull ups, shoulder presses (or maybe push-presses) and row variations.

3 way split?
pull
push
legs

how about training at home? when i go back to my country during the holidays i only go to the gym once a week (no car), but i still work out at home. some of the exercises that i normally do: dips using two chairs (db between feet for added resistance), pullups/chinups (db again for added resistance, use door if u don’t have a chinup bar), pistols, one hand pushups (can’t do much though) and other db exercises. i do my squats, deadlifts and other heavy exercises that i can’t do at home when i go to the gym.

u can still get a pretty decent workout in half an hour or less before work or before going to sleep :wink:

[quote]azstunt wrote:

I understand your point and well, I’m not tall nor long limbed (I’m about 1.73 m tall). I’m not bicep dominant on my back excercises. I’m fairly triceps dominant on some excercises. What do you recommend?

I was thinking of doing squats, deadlifts, push ups on gymnastic rings (spreading my arms when lowering myself), pull ups, shoulder presses (or maybe push-presses) and row variations. [/quote]

You should pre-fatigue your delts and chest. You can do it individually or on a superset.

Delt individual example:
A. Front raises
B. Seated dumbbell press

Chest superset example:
A1. Dumbbell/cable/machine flies
A2. Incline press

In the second example the exercises are alternated with 10 seconds of rest between each other. Try to do the concentric portion of the movement as fast as possible with the least cheating possible. I know that your time is limited and that’s why you’ve chosen compound movements. If you don’t correct that imbalance your progress of your chest and delts will be delayed.

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
how about training at home? when i go back to my country during the holidays i only go to the gym once a week (no car), but i still work out at home. some of the exercises that i normally do: dips using two chairs (db between feet for added resistance), pullups/chinups (db again for added resistance, use door if u don’t have a chinup bar), pistols, one hand pushups (can’t do much though) and other db exercises. i do my squats, deadlifts and other heavy exercises that i can’t do at home when i go to the gym.

u can still get a pretty decent workout in half an hour or less before work or before going to sleep ;)[/quote]

I have thought about something like that and I think that it may be good with the “fitness” approach, but even so, it won’t be as good as a gym session.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
You should pre-fatigue your delts and chest. You can do it individually or on a superset.

Delt individual example:
A. Front raises
B. Seated dumbbell press

Chest superset example:
A1. Dumbbell/cable/machine flies
A2. Incline press

In the second example the exercises are alternated with 10 seconds of rest between each other. Try to do the concentric portion of the movement as fast as possible with the least cheating possible. I know that your time is limited and that’s why you’ve chosen compound movements. If you don’t correct that imbalance your progress of your chest and delts will be delayed.[/quote]

Alright, note taken. I will pre-fatigue my chest and delts.