Training Intensity?

I was convinced it was bad to go to failure and do such things such as triple failure drop sets. and stuff like that.

But after I watched pumping iron (for the first time) it got me wondering. I always grew up thinking u needed to feel intense pain and go to extreme failure for gains. then i read Waterbury articles then i was convinced that you shouldnt go to failure. But now after watching pumping iron im kinda confused now.

I remember arnold saying the last 2-4 reps of pain is what acutually makes ur muscles grow. and i even saw lou doing sets to failure and then doing another set with lighter weight right after.

So im wondering why arent there alot more muscular ppl in the gym. I always thought that there werent taht many muscular ppl becuz ppl couldnt take the pain and were to sissy bout it. But now learning that going to failure isnt optimal. I was wondering why arent there more buff ppl in the gym

can anyone answer, im very confused

[quote]rbush28 wrote:
So im wondering why arent there alot more muscular ppl in the gym. [/quote]

Because people are lazy and they don’t eat enough. Just because you are or aren’t going to failure, doesn’t mean you lifting heavy.

Perhaps thsoe 2-4 reps of pain worked for Arnold, but whose to say they will work for you? You’ll never know until you try.

Everyone is different.

Everyone is different. It only makes sense that different things were for different people. For me personally, going to failure on a couple sets does the job. For others that may not work.

You also have to factor in taht we have come along way since pumping iron. There’s alot more science behind bodybuilding then most people know.

Lastly, just because your not going to failure, doenst mean your workout’s aren’t intense. Personally, I do well supersetting antagonistic body parts; like push and pull splits.

Lift Hard,

go

Failure training, drops sets, etc. are all just tools. Besides, there seems to be some resurgent interest in these training methodologies. The only dogma you should follow in training is that there is no applicable dogma to training. What ever routines and movements you are incorperating at the moment should be taken to it’s extreme…

It should be the super bowl and the world cup everytime you walk into the gym. If you lay it all on the line everytime you will succeed. Most unsucessful people, lack intensity, not knowlege; but some lack both.

[quote]rsg wrote:
rbush28 wrote:
So im wondering why arent there alot more muscular ppl in the gym.

Because people are lazy and they don’t eat enough. Just because you are or aren’t going to failure, doesn’t mean you lifting heavy.

Perhaps thsoe 2-4 reps of pain worked for Arnold, but whose to say they will work for you? You’ll never know until you try.

Everyone is different.[/quote]

Really? i would of thought lazy ppl would eat more (fast foods, junk ,etc.)

So can anyone gimme tips of how to keep my workout intense? Like its hard for me to acheive grouching and screaming intensity (like on pumping iron) if i workout the way chad preaches.

super sets are a good idea anymore?

Steriods?
Arnold and others can do many of those things because they can recover quicker. Even natural it is fine to do, given you allow yourself proper recovery.

The reason these things are ok is because Arnolds goal was to become a bodybuilder big, cut, symmetrical as possible. Chad is a personal trainer, not bodybuilder trainer. Meaning he might have one client who is a bodybuilder, another who is a football player, another who is an actor who needs to look a certian size for the screen.

In the offseason it is fine, but in season having a football player whose legs are too sore to move during a game is counterproductive.

Everybody has different goals, and people are at different phases of their training. You may want to go to failure today, and need not to next year does it mean one way is better? No.

[quote]rbush28 wrote:
rsg wrote:
rbush28 wrote:
So im wondering why arent there alot more muscular ppl in the gym.

Everyone is different.

So can anyone gimme tips of how to keep my workout intense? Like its hard for me to acheive grouching and screaming intensity (like on pumping iron) if i workout the way chad preaches.

super sets are a good idea anymore?

[/quote]

Think of intensity as an orgasm. The easiest way to teach a woman who can’t do it to do it is to make her fake it as good as she can. Until one day she can do it.

Sit down before you lift relax look at the weight and act like your Arnold in the dvd. Or make a game face get under the weight breathe in real hard and lift the fucking weight through the roof tell yourself it was easy and blast the rep through the atmosphere the next time. Scream if you want.

After a while you can do that all in your head. Without flexing un necessary face muscles.

Simpler method get a good training partner.

[quote]rbush28 wrote:
So im wondering why arent there alot more muscular ppl in the gym.[/quote]

How many people at your gym are training with the level of intensity that people training at Gold’s in Venice train at?

There is your answer.

i c i think ill stick with Chad’s type of training. (such as leaving 2 reps in the tank) it seems to make sense. so does doing full body workouts with high frequency

[quote]rbush28 wrote:

[/quote]

I meant, people are lazy and don’t lift with enough intensity to actually stimulate some growth.

I’m not going to be the one to tell somebody what THEY should do. For me “no pain no gain” has produced and is producing results. If somebody else gets results they’re happy with some other way fine. I’ve seen plenty of people who train like unbridled psychopaths who are decidedly large and strong. When someone shows me some people who got decidedly larger and or stronger, or got there in a decidedly shorter amount of time, I’ll be decidedly convinced.

Could happen, but hasn’t yet.

Intensity Methods / Techniques

Supersets: Pairing 2 exercises back to back
Training To Failure: Repping until you can no loger lift the weight with proper form.
Partials: Concentric contractions in a shorter range of motion.
Drop Sets: Typically performing a set then dropping the weight and immdietly continuing the set (25-30% drop in weight is my personal preference)
Rest-Pause - Performing a certain amount of reps, resting 10-15 seconds, and then continuing for more reps. Ie: At a 8RM you would perform 5 reps, rest 15 seconds, then perform 5 more reps; thus completeing 10 reps insted of 8 in a set.
Assisted Reps: Repping until failure, then having a partner help you wit the concetric part of the lift so that you can continute to lift with strict form.

These are just a few. Check out abcbodybuilding.com for more. Under the ‘shocks’ section.