Training In

I am currently doing sprints in a bank parking lot (after business hours) because the outdoor track at my university is under construction and I haven’t found any other open track in the area.

I’m curious: what other odd places have you trained out of necessity or because it was the best place for your training needs?

pullups from my shower curtain rod–be very careful doing this

i did bodyweight workouts in my fathers hospitol room when he broke his back from a bad car wreck i stayed there with him for 2 weeks out of the summer last yr

The beach! I’m a lifeguard on the ocean and we are always training. The looks we get when we do pullups beneath the stand, cinder block farmers walks, ATV pushes, push-up poker…the list goes on.

After college my training partner and I moved the weights to his grandmother’s basement where we tried doing dips using her walker.

[quote]robzilla wrote:
After college my training partner and I moved the weights to his grandmother’s basement where we tried doing dips using her walker.[/quote]

HAHAH how did that work out for you ?

[quote]Highwaystar1 wrote:
I am currently doing sprints in a bank parking lot (after business hours) because the outdoor track at my university is under construction and I haven’t found any other open track in the area.

I’m curious: what other odd places have you trained out of necessity or because it was the best place for your training needs?[/quote]

Not really a necessity, but high-school and Jr. High tracks are usually available.

[quote]Highwaystar1 wrote:
I am currently doing sprints in a bank parking lot (after business hours)[/quote]

Dude, this guys hardcore. Anyone willing to risk mistakenly being shot by the police running through a bank parking lot at night at full speed just so he can get his sprints in…well, this guy loves him some sprints.

A winner are you sir, for your dedication, if not so much your unconventionally dangerous choice of training environment.

[quote]robzilla wrote:
After college my training partner and I moved the weights to his grandmother’s basement where we tried doing dips using her walker.[/quote]

Tarantino did that in Dusk til Dawn. (i think)

Very interesting responses.

To clarify, the topic of this thread is supposed to be “Training in Odd Places:” I don’t know what happened to the rest of it.

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:

Dude, this guys hardcore. Anyone willing to risk mistakenly being shot by the police running through a bank parking lot at night at full speed just so he can get his sprints in…well, this guy loves him some sprints.

A winner are you sir, for your dedication, if not so much your unconventionally dangerous choice of training environment.

[/quote]

Haha - I don’t know quite how to take that … The bank parking lot is quite large, and since the time change, it is usually light out when I am sprinting. I find sprints to be very rewarding, so I’ll do whatever I can to get them in. Also, the Sr./Jr. High School idea is good, I’ll have to explore that further.

I know that there are more hardcore T-men/vixens out there who have improvised to accomodate their training needs …

i also work on a farm yea yea texas farm boy but when i would get bored i would lift feed bags and tractor tires not really odd places but its improvising

I had a job in a hospital in the summer, and I worked on the top floor, so instead of taking the elevators I would sprint the stairs everytime I had to take the stairs or when I had free time on a lunch break. I also tried to do push ups on some paper towels at the end of my stair sprints, but a doctor once opened the door to the stairs and hit me in the head as I lay on the floor, gasping for air… That was a very akward conversation.

One time I had to do handstand presses (with about 3 inches ROM heh heh) in my dorm room. The only safe place was against the door so I had to bail out every time I heard footsteps in the hallway in case it was my roommate. Also, I temporarily pulled the two beds close enough to use the posts for dipping.

Pull ups and dips on the junglegym when I take the kids to the playground.

All the fat ass parents give me dirty looks.

I used to do bodyweight exercises/whatever I could come up with, at the skate part that I supervised.

Sprints were fun when nobody was around.

We also played tennis off the quater pipe.

Good times.

Working out in my prison cell doing hindu squats while scary ass dudes w/ hairy backs telling me how they were gonna fuck me when they had a chance!