Training in the Heat

It’s currently summer in Australia and we are currently havint a heat wave where its about 43-45 degrees every day in the gym it’s hitting about 50 degrees. I’ve been doing my normal work out and taking a little longer between sets basically just going when I feel ready my question is should i keep this approach or lower the weights and reduce the the rest time. My goal is to loose body fat but build muscle along the way and get as strong as I can.

It looks like we are set to have another week in the 40’s coming up as well.

[quote]sotrue wrote:
It’s currently summer in Australia and we are currently havint a heat wave where its about 43-45 degrees every day in the gym it’s hitting about 50 degrees.[/quote]
I’m in New York where it’s also currently in the 40s. And it’s winter here, so it’s the warmest its been in weeks. Fuck your “heat wave”. :slight_smile:

If your goal is fat loss, then shaving time off your rest periods would probably be a good thing and could increase the “cardio effect” of lifting. But really, that wouldn’t really have a difference due to the weather though.

The most important thing for training in the heat is basic hydration. A workout shake (protein and carbs) before and/or during lifting would be a must-have. Plain water is better than nothing, but it isn’t enough.

here is what you should do:

1. Drink hella-lot-of-more-water. Drink water all the time

2. increase sodium/electrolyte consumption (one or two gatorades a day would work, just keep in mind one gatorade bottle is 300 calories)

3. Drink more water.

4. Listen to your body. If your body is giving you clear indication that you can’t go, then you can’t go. If lowering the weight helps you go, then do that. If stopping your workout is the best, then do that. However, if it’s hot as fuark, and you’re killing it in the gym, just drink some water and carry on.

100-120 degrees (If my math is correct) is no joke. Claudan pretty well covered it. If you can, and you aren’t used to training in the heat, start slow and acclimate your body to training in temps like that. And Drink lots of water frequently.

Thanks guys I’m drinking heaps of water I normally drink around three lts are day im drink between 5-6 currently thankfully its dropping down to the high 20’s next week and things will be back to normal