T Nation

Training in Heat

This is more just because I’m curious…but is anyone aware of any study every done of the ratio of calories burnt training in air conditioning (say 75 degrees) as opposed to the heat (say 100 degrees)?

Performance is definitely diminished in the heat because your body has to use some of the blood that it wants to use for working muscles instead for sending blood to the surface to be cooled.

As a result, your heart probably has to work harder at any rate of exercise so yes, you probably do burn a few more calories in the heat as opposed to air conditioning.

Its probably negligible though.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
Performance is definitely diminished in the heat because your body has to use some of the blood that it wants to use for working muscles instead for sending blood to the surface to be cooled.

As a result, your heart probably has to work harder at any rate of exercise so yes, you probably do burn a few more calories in the heat as opposed to air conditioning.

Its probably negligible though.[/quote]

Last I checked my blood wasn’t a cooling system.

I was under the impression that you burn more calories in the cold due to your body working harder TO WARM ITSELF UP.

I used to wait to get in good cardio shape until about a month before football. When I did run, I ran between 2 and 4 in the afternoon wearing a sweat top. I don’t know how much better it was, but I did feel like I got in shape a lot faster. I also got used to the heat that we would be playing in.

[quote]
I was under the impression that you burn more calories in the cold due to your body working harder TO WARM ITSELF UP.[/quote]

you do burn more calories in cold conditions…I know this from experience. It’s an old wrestling trick for cutting weight the night before to sleep in the cold. It works pretty well too, but you don’t sleep worth a crap.

I guess I was thinking more about the effects of doing cardio in the heat as opposed to air conditioning. Every day I’m faced with this decision and it’s really easy to convience myself to just do it inside. I was only wondering how much I was potentionally cheating myself.

So is this thermogenic effect from being exposed to cold temps as beneficial as some say it is? BTW, El Animal, the circulatory system does cool your body. Think of the arteries just below your skin as heat exchange coils like you see in car radiators.

As for training in extreme heat vs air conditioning, I’d take the AC every time. I feel better and well, it’s just overall safer than training in hot hot weather.

If you want to get your sweat on, sure, go ahead and be out in the heat but make sure you’re plenty well hydrated.

I, for one, hate being hot. I can’t stand it. I get really pissed off really easily, don’t sleep worth a shit, and generally make everyone else around me miserable too. It sucks.

B.

I LOVE training in the heat. My muscles are always warm and loose.

Id be willing to bet that your alot less likely to get injured training in a hot environment versus 65 degree air conditioning.

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:
[/quote]

Me too. I always train in either sweatshirt/sweatpants or sweatpants/t-shirt/winter hat.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:

Me too. I always train in either sweatshirt/sweatpants or sweatpants/t-shirt/winter hat.[/quote]

For training, I’ll take the heat over the cold any day as long as I’ve got some water. Its not always pleasant, but it does seem more beneficial. Of course, I live in Texas so I’m used to the perpetual heat. Training in the heat will get you used to it so that it won’t bother you while training, or any other time, though I suppose the same could be said by those of you who live in the cold places.

Not sure if it’d eat up many more calories, but it does certainly up the overall intensity of the experience.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:

Me too. I always train in either sweatshirt/sweatpants or sweatpants/t-shirt/winter hat.[/quote]

Come train with me in my garage/driveway in the Florida heat all summer long while I do some Renegade workouts. You’ll hate the heat in no time and never wear sweatpants/shirts ever again when training.

The heat is absolutely brutal when training and makes it even harder to get through the workouts. I hate it. But I love training in my own gym. :wink:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
As for training in extreme heat vs air conditioning, I’d take the AC every time. I feel better and well, it’s just overall safer than training in hot hot weather.

If you want to get your sweat on, sure, go ahead and be out in the heat but make sure you’re plenty well hydrated.

I, for one, hate being hot. I can’t stand it. I get really pissed off really easily, don’t sleep worth a shit, and generally make everyone else around me miserable too. It sucks.

B.[/quote]

AGREED 100%!!!

I hate it, but since I train at home in my garage/driveway, I have to fight through it.

I can train in cold temperatures and feel great! But the heat is just brutal. It sapps performance and makes everything so much harder.

I’m so disappointed with this thread. When I saw the topic, I thought it would be about women training in estrous.

DB

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:

Id be willing to bet that your alot less likely to get injured training in a hot environment versus 65 degree air conditioning.

[/quote]

I will take that bet, absolutely. You might feel warm and loose but you aren’t unless you actually “warm up”.

Same guy, same workout, one in hot weather, one in 65 degree AC and we’ll see which workout he can complete in it’s entirety as well as #'s he can put up.

B.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Come train with me in my garage/driveway in the Florida heat all summer long while I do some Renegade workouts. You’ll hate the heat in no time and never wear sweatpants/shirts ever again when training.

The heat is absolutely brutal when training and makes it even harder to get through the workouts. I hate it. But I love training in my own gym. :wink:
[/quote]

I self induce the extreme heat, you have to live through it. That would drive me nuts.

great topic im in iraq right now and it 126 degress outside

[quote]Chris_Hearn wrote:
great topic im in iraq right now and it 126 degress outside[/quote]

That’s too hot. I actually like lifting in 95-100 degrees, but any higher than that gets detrimental.

DB

[quote]El_Animal wrote:

[/quote]

It is.
Never noticed how your veins pop out in hot enviroment?

[quote]El_Animal wrote:

I was under the impression that you burn more calories in the cold due to your body working harder TO WARM ITSELF UP.[/quote]

I guess you slept through this part of biology. The blood cools the body by heat exchange through capillaries.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
El_Animal wrote:

I was under the impression that you burn more calories in the cold due to your body working harder TO WARM ITSELF UP.

I guess you slept through this part of biology. The blood cools the body by heat exchange through capillaries. [/quote]

Booyakasha!