T Nation

Training In Fez, Morocco?

I’ll be studying abroad in Fez, Morocco this summer for about 2 months. Anyone know of a good gym in Fez? All I need is a rack, a barbell, and some plates.

You must be white.

Thank you for that lovely aside, Chewie.

[quote]taylorsj wrote:
I’ll be studying abroad in Fez, Morocco this summer for about 2 months. Anyone know of a good gym in Fez? All I need is a rack, a barbell, and some plates.[/quote]

It shouldn’t be a problem at all to find one once you get there. There are a couple of reputed gyms over there, which any local should know.

If you can’t find an air-conditioned one, try the fancy hotels. Don’t expect putting on much meat with Fez’s summer heat.

Thank you, lixy. Yes, I have heard stories of Morocco’s summer heat. I don’t mind dry heat that much, as long as I can avoid any serious sunburn. Then again, I’m Irish so I’m pretty much screwed in that department…

I thought weight training was considered “unclean” in the Hadith, and that Sharia Law forbids western exercise methods?

You’re going to have to work out in that, it is Sharia law.

And when you do you’re going to look so awesome, that you’ll need to take lots of photos and show everyone.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I thought weight training was considered “unclean” in the Hadith, and that Sharia Law forbids western exercise methods?[/quote]

I doubt it, or if it is, Morocco has become much more liberal under Mohammed VI. I feel certain of this because in the 11th Arab Games one of the sports Morocco competed in was weightlifting.

I thought weight training was considered “unclean” in the Hadith, and that Sharia Law forbids western exercise methods?[/quote]

Think again.

Right…

[quote]taylorsj wrote:
I doubt it, or if it is, Morocco has become much more liberal under Mohammed VI. [/quote]

Given that his dad was among the most tyrannical leaders of the 20th century, it would have been really really hard for Mohamed VI to go in any other direction. Don’t get me started on that…

In any case, Fez is a beautiful city with the oldest university in the world and an amazing architecture. It’s also the east’s drug hub, if you’re into that sort of stuff. And if you want to see some nature, Ifrane is 40 miles away, and there’s a substantial proportion of English-speakers in that town (I’m sure you’ll run across plenty of compatriots as well).

A head’s up though: We are not over the bloody war on Iraq! Try to pass for a Canadian when you can. Or at least, say that you voted for Kodos.

Feel free to PM me should you need any additional info.

[quote]will to power wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I thought weight training was considered “unclean” in the Hadith, and that Sharia Law forbids western exercise methods?

Right…[/quote]

I guess a guy isn’t allowed to be wrong around here, huh?

[quote]lixy wrote:

A head’s up though: We are not over the bloody war on Iraq! Try to pass for a Pansy ass bitch when you can. Or at least, say that you voted for Kodos.

[/quote]

Fixed.

will to power wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:

Right…

I guess a guy isn’t allowed to be wrong around here, huh?[/quote]

Sorry if I came off offensive, I just thought it was a really weird thing to say.

I’ll be taking my fifth semester of Arabic (Fus-hah) and learning the local dialect (mugrib) while I’m over there, so I’m hoping that will play in my favor if I’m ever confronted on why my country invaded Iraq.

I heard a lot of hype surrounding the following gym. It’s frequented by heaps of pro-bodybuilders. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, that discipline may be the most popular sport after football.

AMERICAN STEEL FITNESS

8, Chakib Arsalin Street, Fez

Now, unless you’re some sort of linguistic freak, there is no way you can learn the Moroccan dialect (known as ddarija) in that short lapse of time. It’s the farthest you could get from classical Arabic. The best you can hope for is to pick up a few words of the Moroccan dialect, which is essentlally bastardized Arabic heavily influenced by French and Spanish.

You won’t have trouble communicating with people who hold as little as a primary school degree, and you’ll be amazed at the number of people who don’t. Most people will do their very best to communicate with you. Not something you’ll find in, say Algeria or Tunisia. Although, the closer you get to the Arabic peninsula, the closer the local tongue gets to classical Arabic. But that’s another topic…

Awesome, thanks for all your help, lixy. I had heard that the Moroccan dialect was hard as hell.