T Nation

Training in Chucks?

What I meant to say was squat shoes are best “used” for squatting. I just didn’t type it that well. My point is that I don’t see any reason to use an Oly shoe for things like bench and deadlift (outside of the norm).

1 Like

Eh my bad. Sorry for sounding like a douche. I was bored and looking for an argument to pass time hahaha.

1 Like

I actually like them for bench because it makes it easier for me to drive my heels through the floor. I don’t bench on my toes, primarily because the only powerlifting federation I ever competed in didn’t allow it, so I got in that habit.

I also like them for pressing, primarily because, in my sport, presses are taken from the floor, and the shoes seem to help with getting the implement off the floor.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have good reasoning for using them in other situations. I just meant “outside of the norm” as in your everyday type lifter.

I bench in them for the same reason.
I use my only to BP and squat and they have lasted

I wear my oly shoes when I go to the store, when I’m in the kitchen, and when I’m meeting girls. In the store and in the kitchen, sometimes you need to see things or reach things that are a little bit high up, so it helps to have that raised heel. And women appreciate a little extra height.

Those are the only times I wear them. I prefer chucks to squat.

4 Likes

Do you front squat at all? I’ve been front squatting in socks for awhile now and I’m just wondering if buying a pair of shoes for them would be beneficial.

I was just playing around with my previous response. I can address the topic seriously since you’re curious.

I use my oly shoes for all squatting, and it has more of an impact on front squats than back squats. I also use them for all overhead pressing, because it allows me to shift my bodyweight backwards a little bit, while maintaining stability, and not feeling like I’m actually gonna fall backwards.

Oly shoes are nice to have, and if you can easily afford them, then sure, pick up a pair. I would not buy them if you’re expecting a world of difference, and have a tight budget. I’d rather see money going to coaching than shoes. But if buying equipment and investing in coaching and food is not an either/or thing for you, then yea, I think they’re a great item to have in the bag.

1 Like

Okay cool. Yeah sometimes I don’t pick up on the sarcasm. I’m just curious because I’m pretty flexible and because of it I don’t really get a lot out of the hole. I wind up pausing pretty much every rep which is fine most days, but after doing it week after week my ankles get kind of sore and I was just wondering if only shoes would make a difference or not. Once I pay for school this semester I’ll probably pick some up. Thanks man.

Best part about having a home gym is no one coming by and telling you that you MUST wear shoes. I feel so much more confident in my lifts when I’m rocking the socks.

Don’t think I’ve ever had anyone ever tell me what to wear outside of a belt to be honest.

guessing you don’t do any olympic-style movements then (cleans, jerks, snatches, or their variations). I have a hard time believing you’d prefer to do these in your socks. That would be a great way to end up with broken feet.

I lifted in socks quite a bit years ago. Shoes are better. I can’t think of a single lift outside of the deadlift perhaps where being in socks is truly an advantage.

I was a member of a commercial gym for about a year when I moved a while back and had an employee tell me to put my shoes on. No biggie really, but prefer to do my squatting barefoot/socked.

Mostly correct! I do power cleans and snatch grip high-pulls from blocks or hang but that’s about it. I actually do like to wear shoes when I do the cleans. For deads and squats though I like to lose them.

How would you break your feet that way?

impact. the same way you can get foot fractures from running. It’s a lot of stress to take on your feet without any support. absorbing the impact of cleans and snatches with just the points of your feet (heel and ball) seems to be substantially worse than what you get out of flat soled shoes, which is a dispersion of the forces of impact across the entire foot. More surface area = less stress at any individual point.

The Chucks are very comfortable for squatting and deadlifting, I prefer them.

If you feel stable and can consistently achieve depth with the chucks, why spend money. If you need a heel, then use a shoe with a heel.

Not that complicated an issue.

1 Like