Training Idea

Hey,

I’m trying to gain strenght only so according to this site I must stick to the basic compounds exercises.

If I train 3x per week(mon,wed,fri) and make Squats, Deads, Bench and chins alternating rep shemes and changing my exercises sightly each week or session, will that be good ?

Any advices ?

Can you give an example…I’m not quite sure I follow. Also you should be sure to involve other key work like row variations, dips, overhead pressing (if you think you could benefit from it), and unilateral work.

[quote]RSarin wrote:
Can you give an example…I’m not quite sure I follow. Also you should be sure to involve other key work like row variations, dips, overhead pressing (if you think you could benefit from it), and unilateral work.[/quote]

I would have imagined something like this…

Mon:
Back squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
5x5

Wed:
Front squat
Lunges
Chin-up
Incline Bench
4x6

Fri:
Zercher Squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
3x8

Would that help me to reach my strength goals?

[quote]gimpz0rz wrote:
RSarin wrote:
Can you give an example…I’m not quite sure I follow. Also you should be sure to involve other key work like row variations, dips, overhead pressing (if you think you could benefit from it), and unilateral work.

Mon:
Back squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
5x5

Wed:
Front squat
Lunges
Chin-up
Incline Bench
4x6

Fri:
Zercher Squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
3x8

[/quote]

the above is OK But I hate the DL anmd squat together and then the Zer squat and DL as well the DL bnever gets its do attention by coming first when you are fresh.
IMO pick one BIG Leg, Push, Pull, and ab exercise and after those are done if you want to add fluff fine you did the work.

a day would be like
sqaut
bench
BO row
abs

Or

DL
OH press
Chins
abs

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
gimpz0rz wrote:
RSarin wrote:

Mon:
Back squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
5x5

Wed:
Front squat
Lunges
Chin-up
Incline Bench
4x6

Fri:
Zercher Squat
Dead
Pull-ups
Flat Bench
3x8

the above is OK But I hate the DL anmd squat together and then the Zer squat and DL as well the DL bnever gets its do attention by coming first when you are fresh.
IMO pick one BIG Leg, Push, Pull, and ab exercise and after those are done if you want to add fluff fine you did the work.

a day would be like
sqaut
bench
BO row
abs

Or

DL
OH press
Chins
abs

Phill

[/quote]

Nice.That seems like a really simple plan to follow. Do you think that would work as an AM/PM split done twice a week? Also, if you also needed to do some prehab type work, where would you put it; before the main lifts, after, or in between depending on movement pattern?

For instance, I tend to have problems depressing and retracting my scapulae. Dip shrugs always feel great an seem to bea way to help correct it (which i hope/think it does-mid/lower traps help to depress/retract the scapulae). Would i do them before hitting a lift that depended on that scapular stabilty for shoulder health ie. OH press?

[quote]cskolnick wrote:
Phill wrote:

a day would be like
sqaut
bench
BO row
abs

Or

DL
OH press
Chins
abs

Phill

Nice.That seems like a really simple plan to follow. Do you think that would work as an AM/PM split done twice a week?
[/quote]

personally NO if I go balls out on squat hell I hardly want to DL that week let alonf the same day. you need to recover and give the exercises there due respect and attention.

I would actually do the DL HEAVY in the 1-3 rep range, squat day would be medium 5-8 reps, then I would have a third day between lighter wieght unilateral stuff like

Lunge
Dips or DB work
DB rows
abs

well you can do Light stuff for prehab prior to get warm and after sure add an exercies or two to hit weak point if you are burnt.

If they make the lifting feel better as I warm up my shoulders prior to any pressing and then add more after just light work and like I said an exercise or two to hit weak pointd isolation stuff

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
cskolnick wrote:
Phill wrote:

a day would be like
sqaut
bench
BO row
abs

Or

DL
OH press
Chins
abs

Phill

Nice.That seems like a really simple plan to follow. Do you think that would work as an AM/PM split done twice a week?

personally NO if I go balls out on squat hell I hardly want to DL that week let alonf the same day. you need to recover and give the exercises there due respect and attention.

I would actually do the DL HEAVY in the 1-3 rep range, squat day would be medium 5-8 reps, then I would have a third day between lighter wieght unilateral stuff like

Lunge
Dips or DB work
DB rows
abs

Also, if you also needed to do some prehab type work, where would you put it; before the main lifts, after, or in between depending on movement pattern?

well you can do Light stuff for prehab prior to get warm and after sure add an exercies or two to hit weak point if you are burnt.

For instance, I tend to have problems depressing and retracting my scapulae. Dip shrugs always feel great an seem to bea way to help correct it (which i hope/think it does-mid/lower traps help to depress/retract the scapulae). Would i do them before hitting a lift that depended on that scapular stabilty for shoulder health ie. OH press?

If they make the lifting feel better as I warm up my shoulders prior to any pressing and then add more after just light work and like I said an exercise or two to hit weak pointd isolation stuff

Hope that helps,
Phill

[/quote]

Thanks very helpful although i think i have a hard time giving that due respect to the big lifts. truthfully, i have never done a full on heavy low rep sets of the DL or squats because i do not want to push it too soon. i have been under the impression that a beggineer should be focused a bit more on volume and getting the techniques down.

As far as the AM/PM split, what if one was to do higher rep unilateral- (like a split squat) in the morning then go heavier in the PM with a sumo deadlift? The next workout the AM could consist of a single-leg-romanian-DL (with mocerate weight) followed by a heavier front squat in the PM. Would this accomplish the same thing or actually be more taxing?

[quote]cskolnick wrote:

Thanks very helpful although i think i have a hard time giving that due respect to the big lifts. truthfully, i have never done a full on heavy low rep sets of the DL or squats because i do not want to push it too soon. i have been under the impression that a beggineer should be focused a bit more on volume and getting the techniques down.

As far as the AM/PM split, what if one was to do higher rep unilateral- (like a split squat) in the morning then go heavier in the PM with a sumo deadlift? The next workout the AM could consist of a single-leg-romanian-DL (with mocerate weight) followed by a heavier front squat in the PM. Would this accomplish the same thing or actually be more taxing?

[/quote]

Bro well keep the reps a bit higher say 3-5 for DL 8-10 for squat and work DAMN HARD you should still be working hard. Just my opinion

If you want sure that will workl you will need to be very breif anything you do in the morning is going to effect the night I would go DOG ass heabvy low rep morning and then higher volume higher rep night.

again more is not always better

Phill

Thanks. It helped a lot.