T Nation

Training Idea for After Comp

FRAT warning

Since work was kinda slow today I was brainstorming some training ideas- I have a PL comp Dec 6 but was putting a template together for the lull after that.

Any criticism or pointers would be appreciated.

Due to the seasonal nature of my job I will probably not do another meet until May, and that will likely be an undercooked one. Also I will try to get everything done in 3 sessions since training time will be limited. I’ll try to stay away from wearing a belt unless the weights get over 80% 1RM or so

anyway…

Wed
Bench press-5x5; heavier double but not every week
Military press- alternate 3x6 with 5x10
Nose breakers
Rotator cuff exercise

Thursday
High bar pause squat-3x3- moderate weight (not 3RM)
Deadlift-due to high volume of squatting Sunday I will probably stick to doing singles with 70-80%, maybe working up to a heavier single every 3-4 weeks
Heavy Barbell row-3x6- always trying to add weight
Pull through
Side Bends

Sunday
Squats-5x5; heavier double but not every week
Light Bench-5x5- 30lbs less than Wednesday [not sure if speed work helps raw bench]
Nose breakers
Kettlebell Cleans
Sit ups

Planning to pace myself, using a 2 steps forward, 1 step back wave kind of approach with the weights.

This look alright or should I add anything else?

switch sunday and thrusday. so u have more rest from squats to deads
edit: i guess its still 2,3 days but i would do it personally

You doing the VA state meet? I’m doing the MD state meet next weekend in annapolis.

My biggest question is what has worked for you in the past? Personally I respond better to higher volume and have gotten great results from Sheiko. If I only squatted once a week I don’t think I would make much progress.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
You doing the VA state meet? I’m doing the MD state meet next weekend in annapolis.

My biggest question is what has worked for you in the past? Personally I respond better to higher volume and have gotten great results from Sheiko. If I only squatted once a week I don’t think I would make much progress.[/quote]

Yeah, the USAPL meet in VA. Good luck with your comp buddy let me know how you do!

I’ve heard good things about Sheiko programs but until mid-April training time will be pretty limited, but I will give it a fair try afterwards. Would it be better to do normal power squats at a lower weight instead of pause squats on Thursday then?

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
joburnet wrote:

My biggest question is what has worked for you in the past? Personally I respond better to higher volume and have gotten great results from Sheiko. If I only squatted once a week I don’t think I would make much progress.

Yeah, the USAPL meet in VA. Good luck with your comp buddy let me know how you do!

I’ve heard good things about Sheiko programs but until mid-April training time will be pretty limited, but I will give it a fair try afterwards. Would it be better to do normal power squats at a lower weight instead of pause squats on Thursday then?[/quote]

One of my training partners is doing that meet, guy named Jon…benched 205 kg at his last meet and should have had 210 kg at 165 lbs.

If you wanna gain some weight and get stronger, Doggcrapp is DEFINITELY worth some consideration.

A little more back work would do you good. Just add in some pullups Sunday or something.

Best of luck! I live near where the meet is being held I might come by and cheer you on.