T Nation

Training I Can Do Outside?

I wanna make gains but a gym isn’t an option so can you suggest things I can do outside or inside thanks.

Option 1:

1. Buy a barbell and some weight to put on the bar.
  2. Train inside or outside.

Option 2:

1. Find heavy things outside or inside.
  2. Train with those objects.

You don’t need any specialized equipment. Personally, a rack is really nice to have-- but all you really need (ideally) is a barbell and some weight to put on the bar. You can train to be stronger than 99% of the population, accomplish some feats of strength, AND build an incredible physique with just those things.

Body weight work at a park or a playground + weight vest.

Carry Rocks. Lift Rocks Overhead.

Get a keg, fill partway with something (e.g. sand, water, gravel, etc.). Carry it, lift it overhead, etc.

Barstar type stuff, single leg squats, other BW exercises.

Hill sprints with weight vest.

Sandbag carries.

Buy a pull up bar and do Waterbury’s PLP program.

But really, you should consider making the gym an option. You’ll be glad you did.

[quote]JadenGreen wrote:
I wanna make gains but a gym isn’t an option so can you suggest things I can do outside or inside thanks.[/quote]
At 13 years old, do the bodyweight routine here: http://www.t-nation.com/training/teaching-a-kid-to-lift
Head to the nearest playground to train so you can do pull-ups on the monkey bars.

Once that workout is “easy”, move on to push-up, pull-up, and squat/lunge variations, plus sprints. And in the meantime, do what you can to save/earn $200-300 for a barbell set.

Thanks I’m getting a weighted vest for Christmas.