Training Holidays

I guess this isn’t exactly “Off Topic,” but it definitely adheres to getting a life!

I have a group of friends that live the healthy lifestyle and train hard in their various fields. We’ve been discussing a training holiday somewhere in Europe (somewhere hot in Europe.)

I was just wondering if anyone here had any past experience of such trips or any advice to share?

Any training camp I’ve been to has involved rain, ice or angry Scottish dudes. This will not do.

If there’s a few of you you could probably book your own group adventure holiday. There’s some good ones in Slovenia, and I’ve always fancied doing some via ferrata.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
If there’s a few of you you could probably book your own group adventure holiday. There’s some good ones in Slovenia, and I’ve always fancied doing some via ferrata.
[/quote]
Nice one for the reply man.
Yeah, there could be 5 or 6 of us interested.
I’ve never been to Slovenia; sounds intriguing.

I suppose we could push the boat out and go to Thailand. But i’d prefer somewhere with more familar foods (and medicines just in case!)

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

[/quote]
Nice one for the reply man.
Yeah, there could be 5 or 6 of us interested.
I’ve never been to Slovenia; sounds intriguing.

I suppose we could push the boat out and go to Thailand. But i’d prefer somewhere with more familar foods (and medicines just in case!)[/quote]

I was looking in to it last year but never went. It’s more of an adventure holiday than a training one, but there’s some great canyoning/rafting/climbing in the mountains there, and it looks gorgeous. I’ve been to Llublijana and the food and women were nice.

In lieu of the traditional “bachelor party” - when the first of my college friends got married, several of us banded together and went camping in the woods for a weekend, doing a canoeing trip on the first day and a Warrior Dash mud race on the second day. We had a blast. It depends exactly what type of “training” you want to do and just how structured you want it to be, but I think such a thing would be a lot of fun.

Your choice of venue should be dictated by the type of training - do you want it to be hiking, biking, mountaineering, or something strength-focused?

I was looking in to it last year but never went. It’s more of an adventure holiday than a training one, but there’s some great canyoning/rafting/climbing in the mountains there, and it looks gorgeous. I’ve been to Llublijana and the food and women were nice.
[/quote]
No way?
Man, that sounds pretty cool. With the right group could be the perfect holiday.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
In lieu of the traditional “bachelor party” - when the first of my college friends got married, several of us banded together and went camping in the woods for a weekend, doing a canoeing trip on the first day and a Warrior Dash mud race on the second day. We had a blast. It depends exactly what type of “training” you want to do and just how structured you want it to be, but I think such a thing would be a lot of fun.

Your choice of venue should be dictated by the type of training - do you want it to be hiking, biking, mountaineering, or something strength-focused?[/quote]
Thats really cool man, a great idea and one I should avail of.
You & your buddies ever get away for trips now?

Well, I’m thinking of it as a break from work and some of the limitations of home-
Maybe I could get strength in during the morning and some boxing in in the afternoons.
I figured with sun, beaches and some ocean, I won’t be lacking on cardio.

I think its the people I bring with me will determine how enjoyable it is.

We usually do a 4 or 5 day snowboarding trip every year. Eat & Drink a ton and I still lose some fat lol. Great times.

I guess this isn’t exactly “Off Topic,” but it definitely adheres to getting a life!

I have a group of friends that live the healthy lifestyle and train hard in their various fields. We’ve been discussing a training holiday somewhere in Europe (somewhere hot in Europe.)

I was just wondering if anyone here had any past experience of such trips or any advice to share?

Any training camp I’ve been to has involved rain, ice or angry Scottish dudes. This will not do.[/quote]

Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but southern europe and combat sports aren’t really together in the senso that it isn’t, in my point of view, the “place” to go, if you want to make training a priority during your time abroad. If you weren’t to train seriously you would have a handful of excellent options, but the combat sports you want to practice, in my point of view, the Netherlands, Morocco or turkey are better options nearby.
Yet, if you just want to travel to Europe, despite the kind of training you will take (not boxing specific), my advice would be to go to a mediterranean country not very far east

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
We usually do a 4 or 5 day snowboarding trip every year. Eat & Drink a ton and I still lose some fat lol. Great times.[/quote]
Sounds pretty amazing.
Do you put the fat loss down to thermodynamics or is the snowboarding tough work?

[quote]Martimroll94 wrote:
Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but southern europe and combat sports aren’t really together in the senso that it isn’t, in my point of view, the “place” to go, if you want to make training a priority during your time abroad. If you weren’t to train seriously you would have a handful of excellent options, but the combat sports you want to practice, in my point of view, the Netherlands, Morocco or turkey are better options nearby.
Yet, if you just want to travel to Europe, despite the kind of training you will take (not boxing specific), my advice would be to go to a mediterranean country not very far east
[/quote]
Thanks very much for the well informed response.

I understand that the Med isn’t the ideal location for Combat sport.
But this is a unique situation in that we may tally 5 national am championships, 3 euro am championships and 2 professional titles.
I think with the right facilities, we’ll probably just benefit from one another’s experience.
If I were to reccomend acountry in Europe to visit for boxing it would have to be Ireland or England?
But living here- you get sick of the rain lol

No way?
Man, that sounds pretty cool. With the right group could be the perfect holiday.[/quote]

Way. Just google “adventure holidays Slovenia” and you’ll find loads of stuff. If I remember rightly, you can get a week of activities for about â?¬700, digs included.

But this is a unique situation in that we may tally 5 national am championships, 3 euro am championships and 2 professional titles.
[/quote]

That’s some bunch of friends you’ve got. With that kind of pedigree you may be better off aproaching clubs directly and seeing if they have anyone they’d fancy training with you.

Way. Just google “adventure holidays Slovenia” and you’ll find loads of stuff. If I remember rightly, you can get a week of activities for about â?¬700, digs included.

[/quote]

That’s some bunch of friends you’ve got. With that kind of pedigree you may be better off aproaching clubs directly and seeing if they have anyone they’d fancy training with you.[/quote]
Regardsing Slovenia- I dunno if that would suit the others.
Personally, its my sort of thing though; so I might keep that one for myself :wink:

Yeah, thats the one benefit of our little rock- all the people in the sport know one another!

I think a trip to the US is on the cards for 2015

I’ve trained in a couple of clubs in Brittany where they produce high level amateurs and a few pros, but the weather’s the same as Ireland, basically.

I’ve trained in a couple of clubs in Brittany where they produce high level amateurs and a few pros, but the weather’s the same as Ireland, basically.[/quote]
Cool.
A change can be better than a cure though. I have some family there so I may look into it.

The beauty of training in the UK is with Ryanair, I could do it once a month.

I’ve trained in a couple of clubs in Brittany where they produce high level amateurs and a few pros, but the weather’s the same as Ireland, basically.[/quote]
Cool.
A change can be better than a cure though. I have some family there so I may look into it.

The beauty of training in the UK is with Ryanair, I could do it once a month.[/quote]

Whereabouts in Brittany? I know a fair few Irish people over there.

The clubs I trained at were CPB Rennes and St-Avé Boxe. St-Avé regularly send guys to the
finals of the national championships and it’s a really friendly club. Mostly lighter weights, though. They have a really mobile hit ‘n’ run style where each boxer is encouraged to find their own technique, whereas CPB Rennes teaches a more traditional technical style. Both friendly clubs.

My claim to boxing fame is getting a false tooth broken by a kid from the French U18 team one night I forgot my gumshield, ha.

Whereabouts in Brittany? I know a fair few Irish people over there.

The clubs I trained at were CPB Rennes and St-Av�© Boxe. St-Av�© regularly send guys to the
finals of the national championships and it’s a really friendly club. Mostly lighter weights, though. They have a really mobile hit ‘n’ run style where each boxer is encouraged to find their own technique, whereas CPB Rennes teaches a more traditional technical style. Both friendly clubs.

My claim to boxing fame is getting a false tooth broken by a kid from the French U18 team one night I forgot my gumshield, ha.[/quote]
I’ll be entirely honest; my knowledge of brittany is limited; I don’t know a lot about its regions!

Very cool; that may be worth a look; particularly as I’m working on my mobility (a strength as an amateur.)

Oh really?! Ouch man; pretty cool battle scar to have tho!

Oh really?! Ouch man; pretty cool battle scar to have tho!
[/quote]

Aye he cut my nose with the same punch, so 2 for the price of 1. Was just a left jab as well. :confused:

I see the forum doens’t like accents: that’s Saint-Ave Boxe with an accent on the “e”.

Aye he cut my nose with the same punch, so 2 for the price of 1. Was just a left jab as well. :confused:

I see the forum doens’t like accents: that’s Saint-Ave Boxe with an accent on the “e”.
[/quote]
Speed can do horrible/wonderful things; depending on whether you’re the sender or recipient!

Yeah; I got that on some of my earlier posts with place names in my locality