Training HELP?

I’ve been weight training for around 3 months.
I started on 6 days a week, then went upto 7.
Had a decent programme which i’ll type up soon.
But after reading on here i’ve started training 4 days instead.

My upper chest isnt getting worked greatly, or my inner chest, so i was wondering what you all do exercise wise on the upper and inner chest?
I am using a bench, but it doesn’t incline/decline.

I currently do this … on my chest+backMonday Torso (Back+Chest)
Pec Deck Butterflies ? 2 sets 7 reps, 1 set 5 reps, 2 sets 3 reps, 1 set 7 reps, 2 sets 5 reps, 1 set 3 reps
75 seconds of rest

Bent over Barbell Rows ? 1 set 7 reps, 1 set 5 reps,2 set 3 reps , 1 set 7 reps , 1 set 5 reps, 1 set 3 reps
75 seconds of rest

Machine Bench Press - 3 sets 10 reps, 2 sets 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps
75 seconds of rest

One arm Dumbbell Rows - 2 sets 10 reps, 2 sets 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps
75 seconds of rest

Pec deck machine - regular reps + partials
3 sets x 12 reps, last half of movement to failure
75 seconds of rest
First half of movement to failure 60 seconds of rest
Straight-bar pulldown - low double contraction
3 sets 12 reps Pull the handle down to the low position, bring it back up halfway, pull it down again. This is one repetition.
60 seconds of rest

I was training chest and triceps on the same day, but i was advised to train arms one day, and torso another.

Thanks in advance, Connor

Man stick with the basics

Bread and butter for a big chest:

3sets x 8 reps flat bench press

3sets x 10 reps flat dumbbell flies

minimum rest between sets

Include the above twice a week. Im assuming your routine consists of 2 upper body and 2 lower body days.

Thanks for the reply mate!
Well i was doing it twice a week, but I’ve been advised to only do it once, so i’m unsure of what i should do?
Add in another day?

Also bro, uh I think u getting into too much detail. When u training just make sure you control the weight and that’s it. Just make sure you control the weight.

I found that during incline flies slowing movement when lowering the barbells and using a more explosive motion when ‘closing’ your hands back together (when raising the barbells) triggers shit loads of muscle growth. Its not the most technical term but I’m talkin from 3 years + of experience.

Just uh, focus more on back and shoulders. Or you end up with a big chest which will be disproportionate to your body. lol look at my picture when I was 17 and you’ll understand. And no those are no bitch tits bro.

[quote]Conga427 wrote:
Well i was doing it twice a week, but I’ve been advised to only do it once, so i’m unsure of what i should do?
Add in another day?[/quote]

Well I’ll be honest with ya, If I where in you I’d train 3x a week, all 3 x full body workout with compound lifts. (Squats, deadlifts and benchpress).

Start with machine assisted equipment. when you gained some confidence (i.e. proper form) switch to free weights and just forget about machines. When you get accustomed to the 3 x whole body workout (no more results, that is you been lifting the same weight on most body parts for like 3 weeks) and/or you are bored from the routine just switch to a 4 day per week and do the bench + flies twice a week as highlighted above.

bench + flies may over train you if you just starting. Switch every few weeks from 3x to 4 x a week to let your body guess. It worked and still works great for me.

Thanks for info mate! I’ll take a look at those pictures now.

I’ll write up a basic training plan to stick to.
I do the majority with the weights i have at home, but i’m going to join a gym very soon

( I have a fair amount of gear at home )Again cheers for advice

[quote]Bicep_craze wrote:
Conga427 wrote:
Add in another day?

Well I’ll be honest with ya, If I where in you I’d train 3x a week, all 3 x full body workout with compound lifts. (Squats, deadlifts and benchpress). Start with machine assisted equipment. when you gained some confidence (i.e. proper form) switch to free weights and just forget about machines.

When you get accustomed to the 3 x whole body workout (no more results, that is you been lifting the same weight on most body parts for like 3 weeks) and/or you are bored from the routine just switch to a 4 day per week and do the bench + flies twice a week as highlighted above.

bench + flies may over train you if you just starting. Switch every few weeks from 3x to 4 x a week to let your body guess. It worked and still works great for me. [/quote]
Very interesting that! I’ll be sure to take that advice and have a go at it!
Thanks again

No problem mate. Hmmm… Something like this should be fine:

Do the following 3 x a week. take a day of rest between each training day. You only got 3x a wekk-so make sure you hit those muscles hard, but ALWAYS with proper form.

some stretching as a warm up. some pushups maybe, only a few just enough to make you feel a little ‘warm’ some spot jogging, stretch legs and arms. shouldn’t take ya more then 10 minutes, you get the drift.

Then:

Flat bench press 3 x 10 reps (lower bar to your lower part of your chest, when lowering dont rush, control the weight, then go up a bit faster). It’s ok to arc your back a little.

One hand standing barbell press 3 x 10 reps (control the weight slowly when going down with the weight, then raise the weight above your head a bit faster. KEEP BACK STRAIGHT)

Barbell shrugs 3 x 10 reps (and when shrugging use a rotational motion for your shoulder to make sure you squeeze and contact the trapezius) KEEP BACK STRAIGHT

One arm rowing 3 x 10 (When raising the weight, make sure you tuck the weight in your belly region. If you feel your back squuezing you are doing things right. Use one hand for support)

Standing barbell curl 3 x 10 reps

Box Squats 5 x 10 reps (just go parallel when you going down, forget ass-to-grass)

Stiff leg Deadlifts 4 x 10 reps. Keep your back straight.

I recommend looking for some instructional videos on doing squats and deadlifts properly. Go youtube and check Dave tate tutorials.

Here’s the catch: The whole workout should take you between 45 minutes and 1 hour MAX.

Hint 2: If you feel sleepy and the space under your eyes is getting black during half the workout it means

1. either you not eating enough
  2. you are using too much weight.

Adjust accordingly.

Minimum rest between sets. Eat 2 bananas right after. have a shower. large serving of rolled oats (old fashioned no added sugar) with some milk, 15 mins later eat 40 G of protein. protein shake, chicken breast, eggs…anything goes.

Then eat whatever meals you have planned during the day.

Fantastic programme there mate! Thankyou so much for your help! You’re a star, i’ll start doing it asap! probably tomorrow, and keep you informed how i do

Thanks, Connor

:slight_smile: No problem man, glad to help. Feel free to ask any questions. Im interested in knowing your height and weight. Could highlight the ‘skeleton’ for a decent diet. Or point you out for one.

I’m about 5ft10
And weigh around 153lb

17 years old

All right, you looking to bulk up then. Hmm…

Allow 3 hrs between meals.

Meal number 1: Old fashoned Rolled oats with a cup of milk, large serving (about 80 gram), 1 banana, 1 multivitamin

Meal number 2: 2 whole grain buns with some tomatoes, cheese and lettuce or 6 slices brown bread with the same stuff. As a protein source you could put slices of lean meat in your bread or just take a 20G serving of protein from a shake.

Meal number 3: normally its dinner time. So eat anything that is prepared but make sure there is enough meat (chicken breast, large fish fillet, lean ground meat…). AS far as carbohydrates go eat 4 large potatoes, or more bread, or more buns. rice or a small serving od spagetti u get the drift. Eat you veggies also.

Meal no 4: 20G Protein shake with some whole milk, 1 fish oil capsule

Meal number 5 20G protein shake, 2 treaspoons olive oil. mix everything with some whole milk. drink.

Meal number 6: Before going to sleep-> 2 yogurts, a cup of milk. some cheese. 1 fish oil capsule

Good night. :slight_smile:

Now I’m no nutritionist mind ya, Im saying what worked for me, a little tweaked to your needs.

Note: never ever mix fats (olive oil for example) with carbohydrates (bread for example).

As supplemets all you need is a tub of protein, fish oil capsules and a multivitamin as you have noted.

On training days one of the meals is replaced with a large serving of rolled oats (80grams) 2 bananas and 40G protein from whatever. I’m assuming that meal being replace will not be the breakfast.

Also the best anabolic is water- drink lots of water during the day. forget gatorade and stuff. stick with ye olde water. 1 hr pre workout eat an apple.

You should have your bread and butter covered with this tread. Should get you started.

Right then, I’ll get to the shops to buy myself some stuff to start preparing meals with, and I’ll make this into my proper diet plan :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help mate, you’ve been fantastic, didn’t realise half of the stuff you’ve shown me!

Hey no problem. Im no nutrionist or trainer mind ya. I just gave you advice from my limited experience (3 years+). As always, feel free to change any of the above as you gain knowledge and learn what does work and doesn’t for your body. As a second advice-stick around this website.

Forget shitty sites like bodybuilding.com. and don’t read any of the bodybuilding magazines out there, except for testosterone magazine if you find it. Altough this site should be your one stop source for all the info you need. Talkin from experience again.

When just starting out your goal should be to develop a solid strength base. Work on one exercise per bodypart and really push yourself to get stronger every week.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need. I’ll reply asap.

Thanks for that mate, i will do if i need anything, and i’ll definately be sticking around here, been reading threads for a while, just only recently registered :slight_smile:

thanks

Oh shoot, one last thing

DONT BUY A PROTEIN POWDER WHICH HAS SOY PROTEIN.

Best protein powder you can get is a miscellar casein one. Or one which has a mix of whey protein isolate, composate and casein. Metabolic Drive is a good brand if you can find it. You can order it from this website.

I’m currently using Whay Protein?