Training Help Needed

Stats in pounds :frowning:

Squat: 97
Bench: 78
Deadlifts: 135
Bent Over row: 49
(Never tested them used a 1RM calculator
)

I have looked at other people states and mine seem absolutely Crap. thing is I am stronger than most people in my class. I must have a class filled with pussys.

I weight 136 Pounds; 5 feet 7 inches. At 15 years old I have only been seriously weight lifting for 3 months. My goals at the moment is to bulk up, I haven?t set up any weight that I want to get up to, or how much I want to add to my lifts as I don?t know what will be a realistic goals, and how long the goals would take. So if someone could give me a good goal I will accomplish it, keep myself accountable and post pics.

I am following TBT. I am on my last week of it (18 reps of screaming squats and Deadlifts is torture) I am going to need a new program to follow, preferably a 3 day a week TBT workout. As I am not going to have the time to weight train 7 days a week. (Already taking a lot of time out off school work to workout)
So if someone would recommend a program I would be grateful.

I do 3 days of HIIT, and 2 days fasted cardio. Maintained for all this activity is around 3100Kcal, I only eat 3100Kcal. But by next week that will be increased to 3300Kcal. (Increase by 250Kcal per week, I have come up from 2400Kcal to 3100Kcal)

I use Tailored made nutrition by JB, using the whole carb PWO and AM rule with good food selection. Average day look like this.

8am Light Fasted cardio ? hour

Breakfast
Lean Meat
Oatmeal
Flax seeds and nuts
Salad
Vegetables
Fruits and berries
Whole Milk
Nuts

During Workout-Weight lifting
PowerAde (Like Gatorade)
Whey Powder

PWO- Rest of the PowerAde and whey with Sweetened yoghurt, dates a banana and cereal.

Lunch-
Starchy carb- Rice, Pasta, Potatoe
Vegetables
EVOO
Whole Milk
Fruits

Dinner-
Salmon and Vegtables in Olive oil and nuts.

Before bed-
Cottage cheese, yoghurt, nuts and flax seeds and a fruit salad.

As fresh beginner I used to weight only 121 pounds. Now 136 pounds and I intend to keep bulking although my teenage years.

Any advice about training, and diet would be really helpful.Looked at a lot of Links here at T nation. just want to know the opinions of people who have been there done that. People that have more experience than me.

im no expert, as ive only been doing this about 9 months. but all i have to say is that for a 15-year old you seem to be arming yourself with the knowledge you will need to succeed. just keep reading what you can and take it slow and steady. you have a lot of growing to do before you are out of your teens. just keep at it, and you will do fine.

some very generic goals are to be able to bench press your body weight, and double your body weight for squats and deadlifts.

[quote]Jack Bazz wrote:
Stats in pounds :frowning:

(Never tested them used a 1RM calculator
)

I have looked at other people states and mine seem absolutely Crap. thing is I am stronger than most people in my class. I must have a class filled with pussys.

I weight 136 Pounds; 5 feet 7 inches. At 15 years old I have only been seriously weight lifting for 3 months. My goals at the moment is to bulk up, I haven?t set up any weight that I want to get up to, or how much I want to add to my lifts as I don?t know what will be a realistic goals, and how long the goals would take. So if someone could give me a good goal I will accomplish it, keep myself accountable and post pics.

I am following TBT. I am on my last week of it (18 reps of screaming squats and Deadlifts is torture) I am going to need a new program to follow, preferably a 3 day a week TBT workout. As I am not going to have the time to weight train 7 days a week. (Already taking a lot of time out off school work to workout)
So if someone would recommend a program I would be grateful.

I do 3 days of HIIT, and 2 days fasted cardio. Maintained for all this activity is around 3100Kcal, I only eat 3100Kcal. But by next week that will be increased to 3300Kcal. (Increase by 250Kcal per week, I have come up from 2400Kcal to 3100Kcal)

I use Tailored made nutrition by JB, using the whole carb PWO and AM rule with good food selection. Average day look like this.

8am Light Fasted cardio ? hour

Breakfast
Lean Meat
Oatmeal
Flax seeds and nuts
Salad
Vegetables
Fruits and berries
Whole Milk
Nuts

During Workout-Weight lifting
PowerAde (Like Gatorade)
Whey Powder

PWO- Rest of the PowerAde and whey with Sweetened yoghurt, dates a banana and cereal.

Lunch-
Starchy carb- Rice, Pasta, Potatoe
Vegetables
EVOO
Whole Milk
Fruits

Dinner-
Salmon and Vegtables in Olive oil and nuts.

Before bed-
Cottage cheese, yoghurt, nuts and flax seeds and a fruit salad.

As fresh beginner I used to weight only 121 pounds. Now 136 pounds and I intend to keep bulking although my teenage years.

Any advice about training, and diet would be really helpful.Looked at a lot of Links here at T nation. just want to know the opinions of people who have been there done that. People that have more experience than me.
[/quote]

If you wanna bulk up, minimize the cardio and eat more… what’s your training routine like?

I’m just wondering if you can join some kinda team at school for training. having a coach will help alot in terms of technique in the big lifts… and it won’t hurt to have partners/competitions, either.

don’t worry too much about the weights on the bar… just get the technique right. you’re gonna grow and get stronger at that age as long as you’re eating.

At the moment, I can not join any weight lifting team. I do not even have a training partner Ive always trained solo. Weight liftings not big in my school. The usual ?weight lifting is bad for you, it will stunt growth? is still believed by everyone. The very thought of lifting a 2 pound pilates Dumbbell will scare people, they think they?ll blow up to be huuuuugeee!

Normal weight lifting week looks like this, I make all my own workouts with the use of TBT guidelines. I only have free weights, a medicine ball, a few non adjustable dumbbells, skipping rope and a stationery bike.

Week 8

Tuesday - 3x18 (I hate these days)

BB Bench Press
Full Ass to grass Squat
Bent Over Row
Straight Leg Deadlift
Hammer Curls
Elbows Out Extension

Thursday- 3x8

BB Military press
Upright Row
Bench Press
Deadlift
Weighted Crunch

Saterday-3x12

Squat
Roman Deadlift
Bent over Row
Push Ups
Bicep Curls
Tricep Kickbacks

I am really dieing to try some low volume high intensity workouts. Like 5x5, or 10x3. But I dont know if it would be okay to screw with the TBT guidelines.

Honestly I think TBT would be much more effective for you if you lowered the reps a bit on atleast one of the days,also doing 18 deadlifts is silly. In my opinion the deadlift is an exercise that shouldn’t be done for more than 3-5 reps max.

Also I’m suprised your eating this well,your diet seems to be pretty sound though don’t be afriad to just eat. At your size putting on bf shouldn’t be a concern. I like it that your keeping it pretty clean which I think is a good thing,but don’t be afraid to have some pizza or a burger or some ice cream every once in a while.

Jack Bazz,
You need to remember rule number 1, you are in this for you. What other people lift doesn’t affect you.

Keep that in mind when you hear somebody else’s max. You need to focus on whether your max is going up or not. If it isn’t, figure out why. If it is, you’re doing the right thing.

I changed the deadlift to 5x5, you saved me alot of pain.

So you think changing to Set/Reps on TBT would help?

I have been doing high Reps (12-18) About 2x a week for the last 8 weeks. Doing some 10x3 and 5x5 would be a real nice treat.

I have 4 cheats per week. As long as I hit 90% Adherence I’ll have my cake and eat it and probably a burger too.

Wow, your post brought back memories of when I was as weak as a pansy…

But seriously, you seem like you know what you’re doing. You’re young, so almost anything will work for you. Eat a lot, pick the right exercises, and do them with good form, and stick with it.

Don’t be worried about the lack of progress in three months. When I first started doing any exercise at all, I couldn’t do 10 pushups. In three months, I had progressed to doing 40 solid reps, not great, but respectable.

By that, I mean to say: keep doing what you’re doing, and don’t worry about immediate gratification. Push yourself a little harder each workout. In a year, look back at your current stats and laugh. =)

Good luck.

[quote]Jack Bazz wrote:
I changed the deadlift to 5x5, you saved me alot of pain.

So you think changing to Set/Reps on TBT would help?

I have been doing high Reps (12-18) About 2x a week for the last 8 weeks. Doing some 10x3 and 5x5 would be a real nice treat.

I have 4 cheats per week. As long as I hit 90% Adherence I’ll have my cake and eat it and probably a burger too.[/quote]

Quick note about this last post: I remember some of the writers for this site saying that for younger lifters (i.e. you), you should stick with higher reps to begin with. As your training age increases, you can decrease the number of reps per set. Can’t remember the sources offhand (Ian King, maybe?).

My lifts have been going up really fast these past few weeks. As the food intake goes up so do my lifts.

I’ve read about 15-18 year olds who’s lifts are in the 3 digit range. Was put down at first but now I just aim to lift some big ass weights.

Check out my state of the art gym. No squat Rack, Bench. Gotta do the Bench presses on one of those big balls. Scarry as hell if you have dumbells right abouve your head and you start to wobble.

okay i think first of all you are doing WAY to much cardio, and FASTED CARIDO?!? your 135 pounds for gods sake why are you doing fasted cardio for ontop of HIIT? stop doing that

second you want to get stronger yet you are not training in the stregnth rep range… so start doing that 5-6 reps for everything will make you strong, and make sure to keep eating if you want to grow and get stronger

so to recap cut out all that cardio espeically the fasted cardio lift heavier and for less reps and EAT, you calculated your maintence at 3100 ( i didnt check to see if thats right because i dont have all the factors to) how do you expect to get stronger and bigger? you need to eat above your maintence, unless you want to be 135 pounds and have mediocre strength

Okay, Fasted Cardio has gone out the window. I’m still doing sports in school though.

I’m Eating an extra 250kcals. I’ve gained 2kg (4.4lbs) in 2 weeks. And it looks good. DO i wait till I stop gained or Increase it by another 250Kcals?

And too hell with High Reps. I’m switching to OVT and doing 5x5 or maybe John Berardi “Greatest workout ever” some 3 reps sets look real good.

[quote]Jack Bazz wrote:
Okay, Fasted Cardio has gone out the window. I’m still doing sports in school though.

I’m Eating an extra 250kcals. I’ve gained 2kg (4.4lbs) in 2 weeks. And it looks good. DO i wait till I stop gained or Increase it by another 250Kcals?

And too hell with High Reps. I’m switching to OVT and doing 5x5 or maybe John Berardi “Greatest workout ever” some 3 reps sets look real good.

[/quote]

OVT isn’t ideal at your stage now. CVT or ABBH would be better options

[quote]Jack Bazz wrote:
[/quote]

Eat for your goals. If you’re getting stronger, and it’s not your gut that is getting bigger, slowly increase your intake. Otherwise wait.

I am no trainer so please T Nation Gurus correct me. I will be glad to be rebuked or affirmed. An officemate I convinced to train with me to get himself into shape. The sloth that he was got me into thinking of a program to give to him. It has to be :

• must be brief
  • must be dramatic
  • must be effective
    Power lifters say that why lift 10 reps when the most effective reps are the last 4 or 3 reps (Stage where you are really grinding to execute the rep). Might as well raise the load and execute the 4 in a simulated intensity level.
    Body builders say that such reps are needed to bring in enough amount of blood to the mucsles for a good development.
    So I compromised. I gave my friend 5 reps of 10 sets per exercise ala EDT. Example 5 reps of bench for 10 sets of bench press for 12 minutes.
    To make the long story short he started benching 50lbs and less than 3 mos is now benching 100lbs. Dramatic is - he is only leg pressing 80 pounds but in less than 3 mos can leg press 400lbs at 5 reps at 7 sets in 15 mins.
    To increase his load he must accomplish for example 10 sets of his current load at bench in 8 minutes.
    Why 5 reps - it takes out the psychological hurdle of doing so many reps in a single set - but nevertheless also effective.

[quote]Jack Bazz wrote:

[/quote]

Your mileage may vary, but if I could go back in time and give my younger, skinny-ass self some advice, there’d be two basic elements.

1. EAT. Your metabolism is insane right now. Just eat. Then eat some more. If you start to balloon up, then rein it in… but outside of that, just eat, getting as many good, healthy, high-protein meals as you can.

2. In terms of lifting, keep it simple. Basic compound movements. If doing total body 2-3x per week, do a push exercise, a pull exercise, and a squat or deadlift variant. That simple. Hit each exercise with brutal intensity, then get your rest and eat.

As for rep range, I don’t know if there’s any scientific evidence to back it up, but I’ve seen a lot of young guys go too heavy too quick, and butcher their joints as the muscles gained in strength much faster than the joint structures were ready to handle.

Check out David Barr’s recent bulking article, and take a good long, hard look at what he says about rep ranges. Bear in mind that if you keep your joints healthy, you’ll be strong as an ox in ten years. If you don’t, you’ll feel it every day of your life and probably lose out on a considerable amount of strength.

Patience has a huge pay off.

Stay strong.

I?ve done TBT twice now, and before that I was doing a program that was predominately in the 3x12 range, in fact it wasn?t even periodized! Just 3x12 week in week out, I did it for 6 weeks.
So that?s about 4 months doing high reps (I wasted some time on a crap program, yes a isolation crazy one)
When can I hit the Strength zone?

Dave Barr said in his article

?One solution to this problem is to increase rep range as your strength increases?

I can see it now, from 18 to 22 reps then to 24 reps of screaming squats, deads and bench presses.

Is it the Age that restricts me from low reps, or my training age. Because I though 4 months would be all that?s needed to skip into low reps.

The eating side of things is going better than I though. Looks like i’ve Gained some size in the chest. The training side I ticking me off real bad.

After a 3 months in the gym and in the Kitchen I’m back.

I’ve gained 8kg (17.6 pounds) My weights have also gone up

Before

After
Squat: 125<<< :smiley:
Bench Press:85 <<< :frowning:
Deadlift: 170 <<< :smiley:
Bent Over Rows: 77.5

I think this is alright for 3 months.
What you guys think?

My died has been less strickt, i just eat everything, try to keep protien high. And sweet out, but i wont say no to a burger :stuck_out_tongue:

It’m going to do TBH for the 3rd time now. It’s okay but starting to get boreing :S