T Nation

Training Goals

I’m interested: For those of you online right now, what are your current training goals? Are you more interested in strength? Size? Cutting cut? Looking good nekkid?

Post your reply below. If you’d like, pipe in with what training program you’re currently using to attain those goals.

Stay strong
MR

Hey Mike,

I’m just starting this program here. I’m interested in increasing strength for the upcoming track season

O-lifts with - Week 1 6/5/4/6/5/4
Week 2: 5/4/3/5/4/3
Week 3: 4/3/2/4/3/2
Week 4: 3/2/1/3/2/1

Day 1 (Pull/Hip)
Power clean from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Weighted Pullup
DB pullover

Day 2 (Push/Quad)
Push jerk (O-lift parameter)
Back Squat
Dumbbell Press

Day 3 (Pull/Hip)
Power snatch from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Row

Day 4 (Push/Quad)
Front Squat
Weighted Dip
Lunges

I’m interested in gaining maximal strength in this period. Any tips on the parameters set/rep combinations for the other lifts besides the olympic lifts?

Thanks,
Poper

Right now i’m training for college football. This means my main goals are gaining strength that can relate to the field. Right now my coach hasn’t decided if i am going to play defensive end next year or saftey. I am currently on the BFS lifting program if you are familiar with that. I am curious with what auxilary lifts that would help me with that, both upper and lower body. We do OL for our core lifts incase you weren’t familiar with BFS.

Thanks,
EN

im interested in getting stronger with keeping my body fat low…hard to do but need to have low body fat …

I have reached all my strength and size goals, looking more to cut and look good naked, I know its a lot with my diet need clean up a lot, are there really any good cutting programs out there, besides just strength related I understand you can attain hypertrophy with those programs that combine both high rep and low rep workouts, I have shoulder impingement have rehabbed with a combination of ART and shoulder rehab exercise, any input would help

To get HYOOOOOOGE AND STRONG! (And ripped eventually).

Right now I’m doing an interesting combo of EDT for lower body and 3x10 for upper body. My legs hurt.

G’day Mike,

I’m currently training for strength as well as learning the Olympic lifts (been reading too much of Mr John’s articles and got inspired!)

My program is posted in this forum under “BG100’s Training Log”, I hope it is still on the current pages otherwise you might have to search for it. But in summary it is a 6 week program split into three 2-week blocks of exercises. I thought I might try to “wave-load” my load progression with each cycle, so in weeks 1-2 the reps are about 6-10, weeks 3-4 they are 3-5 and weeks 5-6 they are 1-3.

For each workout I start by doing an oly lift using a two wave load. I then choose two other compound movements to make sure it is a total body workout (weeks 1-2 are 3x8, weeks 3-4 are 3x5 and weeks 5-6 are 5x3), one accessory or prehab lift and then one “normal” and one oblique abdominal movement.

I’ve been meaning to update the training log but haven’t had the time to do so, hopefully I will this weekend but it has been going well, especially on the oly lifts. I might repeat for another 6 weeks after a rest week but already have some ideas for minor changes.

Check the thread for all of the details on lifts I am using.

Cheers,

Ben

Poper,

If you want max strength, you need to use a max strength protocol. Low reps/set, high rest, and heavy weight! I wouldn’t do more than 3-4 sets per exercise since you are doing quite a bit of volume with the Olympic lifts. As well, I wouldn’t go over 5 or maybe 6 reps since your goal is max strength. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]poper wrote:
Hey Mike,

I’m just starting this program here. I’m interested in increasing strength for the upcoming track season

O-lifts with - Week 1 6/5/4/6/5/4
Week 2: 5/4/3/5/4/3
Week 3: 4/3/2/4/3/2
Week 4: 3/2/1/3/2/1

Day 1 (Pull/Hip)
Power clean from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Weighted Pullup
DB pullover

Day 2 (Push/Quad)
Push jerk (O-lift parameter)
Back Squat
Dumbbell Press

Day 3 (Pull/Hip)
Power snatch from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Row

Day 4 (Push/Quad)
Front Squat
Weighted Dip
Lunges

I’m interested in gaining maximal strength in this period. Any tips on the parameters set/rep combinations for the other lifts besides the olympic lifts?

Thanks,
Poper[/quote]

Eric,

Check out my “Designer Athletes” article, as it gives you an idea. I want all my athletes to be strong unilaterally, as well as super strong in the posterior chain. Low body lifts like squats, lunges, glute-hams, step-ups, deadlifts, RDL’s, etc. are all great choices.

Heavy basic stuff works great for upper body as well: Close-grips, dips, pull-ups, rows, etc. I’m not real familiar with the BFS program, but if you post it we can take a look!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]eric486 wrote:
Right now i’m training for college football. This means my main goals are gaining strength that can relate to the field. Right now my coach hasn’t decided if i am going to play defensive end next year or saftey. I am currently on the BFS lifting program if you are familiar with that. I am curious with what auxilary lifts that would help me with that, both upper and lower body. We do OL for our core lifts incase you weren’t familiar with BFS.

Thanks,
EN[/quote]

Not sure I totally get what you are getting at, but as far as cutting programs cardio and a clean diet are what you need. A few good ones are:

Cardio Confusion - Eric Cressey
Running Man - Christian Thibaudeau
The Superior Circuit - myself and Carl Valle

Each gives a different viewpoint on cardio and how it can fit into your program. I would read them all and figure out which works best for you.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Ejonesunt wrote:
I have reached all my strength and size goals, looking more to cut and look good naked, I know its a lot with my diet need clean up a lot, are there really any good cutting programs out there, besides just strength related I understand you can attain hypertrophy with those programs that combine both high rep and low rep workouts, I have shoulder impingement have rehabbed with a combination of ART and shoulder rehab exercise, any input would help[/quote]

BG,

Looks pretty good; don’t forget that you need time of unloading as well to allow your body time to recover. I believe Jack Reape wrote a piece a while back entitled “Back of and Grow.” It’s simple, to the point, and could probably help your training.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bg100 wrote:
G’day Mike,

I’m currently training for strength as well as learning the Olympic lifts (been reading too much of Mr John’s articles and got inspired!)

My program is posted in this forum under “BG100’s Training Log”, I hope it is still on the current pages otherwise you might have to search for it. But in summary it is a 6 week program split into three 2-week blocks of exercises. I thought I might try to “wave-load” my load progression with each cycle, so in weeks 1-2 the reps are about 6-10, weeks 3-4 they are 3-5 and weeks 5-6 they are 1-3.

For each workout I start by doing an oly lift using a two wave load. I then choose two other compound movements to make sure it is a total body workout (weeks 1-2 are 3x8, weeks 3-4 are 3x5 and weeks 5-6 are 5x3), one accessory or prehab lift and then one “normal” and one oblique abdominal movement.

I’ve been meaning to update the training log but haven’t had the time to do so, hopefully I will this weekend but it has been going well, especially on the oly lifts. I might repeat for another 6 weeks after a rest week but already have some ideas for minor changes.

Check the thread for all of the details on lifts I am using.

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

To be a lean mean athletic machine, something like T.O., but you know, better. A mix of athletically kicking ass and having an aesthetically pleasing physique. So I strive for a high level of proportional strength while remaining pretty lean. A ripped 245ish would be my ultimate goal, although I’m sure I’ll want to get bigger when I get there.

I want to be 195 pounds at 8% bodyfat and have around a 400/500/600 for my lifting totals in the bench/squat/deadlift.

So after my quick pre-bulk cut(3 more weeks) I need to gain 30 pounds and get alot stronger.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
I’m interested: For those of you online right now, what are your current training goals? Are you more interested in strength? Size? Cutting cut? Looking good nekkid?

Post your reply below. If you’d like, pipe in with what training program you’re currently using to attain those goals.

Stay strong
MR[/quote]
Mike,

heheh…my current goal is to just LIFT again…lol.

However my goal before and post injury is Strength with subsequent size. I wouldn’t mind looking good nekkid, however Strength/Size is the immediate goal. I can cut off the fat at a later date, I feel.

I WAS doing Chad Waterburys programs. Finished ABBH, and then had to stop due to the injury about 3/4 the way through ABBH2…not workout related, but rather lack of rest/recovery and every-day overworking. no down time except for 6 hour of sleep/day.

I gained at least 1/2-1" everywhere (I was a pretty skinny SOB) in the 3.5 months I was on it. I gained about 5kg during that time.

Supps used: This crazy Chinese protein mix, Power Drive (Surge was out of stock) Methoxy-7 and ZMA.

TB

Oh yeah,

I also did the “Back off” week as Jack Reapes article suggested…I did NOTHING!

TB

Oh yeah, and while I am cutting I am using TTT. I will then use SFM and transition into the Waterbury method as I go to above maintenance calories. After I get my strength up and rehab my shoulder(impingement) I will start lifting westside style.

yeah/nay

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

HYPERTROPHY!!!

My goal are to weight 185 lbs with 10% BF. I am halfway there at 160. I was 135 last August.

O, I just finished with GVT and doing ABBH1 right now. Next is Shoulder Overhaul.

GB

This is great stuff, guys. Keep it up!

I’m not sure if it’s just because I started the thread, but it seems like a lot of you guys out there aren’t into the “get friggin’ huge” thing, but rather into developing a strong, balanced physique. Now that, my brothas, I can dig!

Keep posting…I love seeing what you all are up to!

Stay strong
MR

A ripped 245 and you would be a beast! Good luck with the training.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]apayne wrote:
To be a lean mean athletic machine, something like T.O., but you know, better. A mix of athletically kicking ass and having an aesthetically pleasing physique. So I strive for a high level of proportional strength while remaining pretty lean. A ripped 245ish would be my ultimate goal, although I’m sure I’ll want to get bigger when I get there.[/quote]

Trail,

You’ll get there; figure out what the real problem is, address it, and you’ll be better off in the long run. Setbacks are only temporary…trust me, I’m dealing with a few injuries myself right now and I have to compete in 3 days. Unfortunately, it’s part of the game!

Get better and you’ll be back at it in no time!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Trailblazer wrote:
Mike,

heheh…my current goal is to just LIFT again…lol.

However my goal before and post injury is Strength with subsequent size. I wouldn’t mind looking good nekkid, however Strength/Size is the immediate goal. I can cut off the fat at a later date, I feel.

I WAS doing Chad Waterburys programs. Finished ABBH, and then had to stop due to the injury about 3/4 the way through ABBH2…not workout related, but rather lack of rest/recovery and every-day overworking. no down time except for 6 hour of sleep/day.

I gained at least 1/2-1" everywhere (I was a pretty skinny SOB) in the 3.5 months I was on it. I gained about 5kg during that time.

Supps used: This crazy Chinese protein mix, Power Drive (Surge was out of stock) Methoxy-7 and ZMA.

TB
[/quote]