T Nation

Training Goals

I want to narrow down my training goals. I am 21 years old and have a full-time life, Work, School, Girlfriend, LIFE. I love to train hard and my goal is to 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Bigger 3. Be conditioned 4. Not live in the Gym, I enjoy training 2 - 3 times a week. Ive been experimenting with Joe Defrancos Built like a Badass, and Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 2 times a week template. Both are great but I need help choosing a goal. I Feel each program has its holes. I want to be able to have the best of all worlds.

Any advice.

Pick a sport to compete in. It will give you a goal to vector training toward.

yeah i’ve been playing sports my whole life football and baseball , I figure out my next move , what sport do you play ?

I presently compete in strongman, but before that I competed in powerlifting and did a little bit of combat sports. I also played sports all thoughout childhood and high school.

I think asking other people to pick your goals for you is not necessarily the best approach.

I think you should analyse what it is you get out of lifting that makes you enjoy it so much, and that should help you pick the goals you will feel most passionately about.

Sometimes you just need a kinda fun, non-serious goal. Something that will take a couple months, but that won’t require super regimented training.
-Lift the Thomas Inch dumbbell
-Clean and Push Press the heaviest dumbbells in your gym
-Squat body weight for 30 reps

Or more general, long-term strength goals like
squat 400
bench 300
deadlift 500

Then, there are the strength sports. Weightlifting, Power Lifting, Strongman. Highland Games? A set of known lifts or events on a specific day. See how your training measures up against everyone else. You’re up against a deadline. You have to make weight. You don’t have the time or energy to mess around. The goals are super concrete, “bench press X” or “load Y stone.” Then you figure out the best way to get those weights. Your workouts become just what you need to do. Put in this work, get that result. It’s rewarding when you do it right, and it crushes you when you do it wrong and get killed in the competition.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I think asking other people to pick your goals for you is not necessarily the best approach.

I think you should analyse what it is you get out of lifting that makes you enjoy it so much, and that should help you pick the goals you will feel most passionately about.[/quote]

This is good advice.

Competing can be a good idea, but I think it depends on your personality. I can’t imagine not training to compete, because for me competition is how I find out whether my approach is working and if I’m making progress simply because I have an impartial judgement based on a set of (albeit arbitrary) standards: white lights with heavier weights than last time means I’m doing ok. I couldn’t give two hoots where I come in my weight class as long as I improved on my previous performance, although I will admit that when smaller guys than I hit the same or heavier weights than I do that just lights a fire under my backside to get stronger.

For you it may be something else. You might not care about whether a judge/referee says your squat was deep enough, arms locked enough etc and what matters more is the weight on the bar or how you look. FTR so far for me increased strength has come with improved appearance.

Either way, like dagill said figure out what you love about lifting and set goals based on that.

[quote]Richieavella721 wrote:
I want to narrow down my training goals. I am 21 years old and have a full-time life, Work, School, Girlfriend, LIFE. I love to train hard and my goal is to 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Bigger 3. Be conditioned 4. [/quote]

I want to suggest focusing on one goal at a time for periods of 8-12 weeks or whatever you feel is best. So for example, for the first 8 weeks, focus on getting your strength up. Do exercises in the 5 rep range. You know, things like 5x5. After that is done, work on getting bigger. Switch your rep ranges to hypertrophy style higher reps like 8 to 12. This way you will be stronger from the first training block, allowing you to use heavier weights for high reps, increasing the amount of muscle mass you can gain. After that, do a block where you focus on conditioning. Keep lifting heavy (it don’t matter what rep range, I mean don’t drop the weights just because you’re cutting or whatever) and maybe drop your calories a little and see if you can cut some fat off.

This way you’re not trying to get bigger, stronger, AND leaner at the same time, spinning your wheels. It’s also refreshing mentally because you’re doing something different every couple months or so. And this way you will make more progress in the long run.

Good luck buddy.