Training Frequency - Bodybuilding

The more stuff I read on bodybuilding…the more the idea is engraved into my head that training less means more gains. I’m not saying this is wrong, but I am skeptical. If training less meant gaining more for real…then why are the top bodybuilders in the gym 6-7 days a week training for 3-4 hours a day?

Even before steroids, I’m pretty sure Steve Reeves trained this frequently as well. Although what I have come to find out is that most of the routines that stress lift less rest more are geared towards ectomorphs. I’m a mesomorph…does this mean I can lift more and gain more?

In other words if i work each muscle group 2 times a week(6 days out of the week for training) Will I gain more mass faster than if I train only 3 days a week…one day for each muscle group?

[quote]facko wrote:
The more stuff I read on bodybuilding…the more the idea is engraved into my head that training less means more gains. I’m not saying this is wrong, but I am skeptical. If training less meant gaining more for real…then why are the top bodybuilders in the gym 6-7 days a week training for 3-4 hours a day?

Even before steroids, I’m pretty sure Steve Reeves trained this frequently as well. Although what I have come to find out is that most of the routines that stress lift less rest more are geared towards ectomorphs. I’m a mesomorph…does this mean I can lift more and gain more?

In other words if i work each muscle group 2 times a week(6 days out of the week for training) Will I gain more mass faster than if I train only 3 days a week…one day for each muscle group?[/quote]

This is one of the most uneducated rambles I’ve read so far. If you seriously think training for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week could possibly be productive you need to recreate your schema of “progress”. And besides that, why don’t you try training more often and see what happens instead of bugging us?

[quote]facko wrote:

In other words if i work each muscle group 2 times a week(6 days out of the week for training) Will I gain more mass faster than if I train only 3 days a week…one day for each muscle group?[/quote]

Everyone is different.Everyone gains in different ways.I’ve gotten decent gains on the traditional

Monday:Chest/Tris
Tuesday:Legs…ect ect

I’ve also gotten good gains on Total Body Training. I prefer total body training.Just because it allows me the days to work in some GPP and other training.If you can gain doing 5 total body workouts a day,then do it.So much of the lifting is trial and error.You gotta take the info on this site and apply it to you.

As far as the pros and other guys from the past training two-three hours a day…well just because it works doesn’t mean its optimal. I myself try to keep my workouts 45-1 hour just because thats where I’ve had the most success.

People have been successful with training the body more than one time per week. This can be either done directly or indirectly. For example, training arms will directly hit the bis and tris while back and chest training indirtly works the bis and tris respectively. Direct trining of body parts multiple times a week requires variety. For example, 10 x 3 on bench one day and maybe 2 x 15 another.

Hope this helps.