Training Frequency Question

Hey, I have a question about how often a week training should be done, and I have recieved mixed answers. I have looked at all the programs and read most of the articles and there are conflicting views from my two favorites.

Waterbury thinks each muscle should be trained 2-3 times a week with full body training.

CT does each muscle once a week, in OVT for example.

I’m really at an impasse here. I don’t want to waste time at the gym and I really like reading about programs. I have tried the Waterbury Method, and I just don’t think I can or want to work out only three times a week! I’m itching to get back in and all the eating makes me feel really FAT, as it is easy for me to gain bad weight, even eating clean.

I was wondering how terrible it is to directly train each body part twice a week, such as:
Day1 - Chest/Tris
Day2 - Back/Bis
Day3 - Legs/Shoulder
Day4 - OFF
Day5 - Chest/Tris

etc…

Most of the excersies will be based around compound movements (Chest:Bench, Back: PullUps, Rows, Deadlifts Legs: Squats)

And I will use either a 5X5 or a 4X6 method for most of the exercises, with three movements for each muscle group. Also, one more question: when doing a 5X5 or 4X6, does the weight stay the same (80% of MAX) or progressivly up, or down?

Is this a bad method to do? Any recommendations for working out around 5 times a week and still having a rounded program?

[quote]Diablo9845 wrote:
Is this a bad method to do? Any recommendations for working out around 5 times a week and still having a rounded program?[/quote]

In this case, yes (due to your volume/intensity choices). However, for some, it may work. But the main reason is why you feel you need to train that often? You can easily lift 3-4 days a week and do some cardio/GPP another 2-3 days. That’s plenty.

Recommendations? Just follow some of the programs on T-Nation and see how they work. You won’t know unless you try.

You’re looking too far into things…just train – if you want to gain weight, don’t shit.

[quote]Diablo9845 wrote:
Hey, I have a question about how often a week training should be done, and I have recieved mixed answers. I have looked at all the programs and read most of the articles and there are conflicting views from my two favorites.

Waterbury thinks each muscle should be trained 2-3 times a week with full body training.

CT does each muscle once a week, in OVT for example.

I’m really at an impasse here. I don’t want to waste time at the gym and I really like reading about programs. I have tried the Waterbury Method, and I just don’t think I can or want to work out only three times a week! I’m itching to get back in and all the eating makes me feel really FAT, as it is easy for me to gain bad weight, even eating clean.

I was wondering how terrible it is to directly train each body part twice a week, such as:
Day1 - Chest/Tris
Day2 - Back/Bis
Day3 - Legs/Shoulder
Day4 - OFF
Day5 - Chest/Tris

etc…

Most of the excersies will be based around compound movements (Chest:Bench, Back: PullUps, Rows, Deadlifts Legs: Squats)

And I will use either a 5X5 or a 4X6 method for most of the exercises, with three movements for each muscle group. Also, one more question: when doing a 5X5 or 4X6, does the weight stay the same (80% of MAX) or progressivly up, or down?

Is this a bad method to do? Any recommendations for working out around 5 times a week and still having a rounded program?[/quote]

Well, here is my humble opinion. First, 3 days in a row of lifting will be very hard, I hope you have awesome recovery procedures. Also, if you are going to be doing 80% 1RM or greater this will greatly tax your CNS. I know it’s hard to say to yourself less is better, but man, less is better.