T Nation

training for women

Ok, im trying to help some coworkers out with their current program as they hit the gym to get "fit" once and for all.

their current sched:
tuesday,wednesday: aerobics classes
monday, thursday,friday: interval based cardio (running then cross trainer)
saturday: lower body, 7 exercises, 3 sets, 15-20 reps, no cardio
sunday: upper body, 7 exercises, 3 sets, 15-20 reps, no cardio

now right off the top of your head a million things will jump out. ive already set one straight on this whole "tone" and "fit" thing and how 15-20 reps doesn't mean its better for "toning". so suggestions will be openly accepted (its why they do interval in the first place :).

personally i think its cool that they have chosen to go to classes twice a week. they have fun with them and it will help keep them going back. some ppl just need a little motivation so it wont do too much harm.

my idea was to distribute the weight training and cardio a little better over those 4 days.

an upper/lower split seems reasonable for them with a little better spread:

tuesday: class
wednesday: class
thursday: lower
friday: upper
saturday: lower
sunday: upper

i would think something around 4 exercises each day sounds about right. however the ideal rep/set splits for women are foreign to me. now, neither want to get visible muscled, but understand that lean muscle mass is a big part of looking fit. keyword is lean here, hypertrophy isn't what they are lookin for. :stuck_out_tongue:

any ideas?