Training for the Military

[quote]Reed wrote:
I would definetely train legs when I was going through basic and rasp there were alot of guys who could run for ever and then you put a 40+bs Ruck on him (I’m a 11c we would actually Ruck up to 80+) and tell him to keep a 13 minute mile they would crumble by mile 6… to bad you still have atleast 6 more miles to go. He needs endurance and strength endurance. He needs to train legs with the basics and hit them hard. Honestly you can not have strong enough legs for the military if he is a infantryman or some other combat arms.

And honestly 10k 3 times a week is very low volume when it comes to running. I understand if he is new to running but most guys I trained with including myseld ran a miniminum of 20miles a week (atleast 10 of those miles were done in one shot every monday) plus speed and mobility work plus a 6-8 mile Ruck every single thursday.[/quote]

Is this the same Reed that used to be with B CO 1-325 AIR??

Wouldn’t WSFSB work nicely for him? Without the second leg day it was basically conceived for people who do a fair bit of running outside the weight room… Also, tell him to stop doing the flies. Since he seems to be training for performance, there are so many better things to do with your time…

IChive- No I am have Been stationed on Fort Benning GA with the 75th Ranger Regt for past two years.

Reed, I’ll be in fort benning in about a week. Visiting a childhood friend who is also a ranger for the past 5 years or so.

1man island. Hey man awesome you gonna be staying on benning. Should go hit up Audrey Murphy gym when your here great gym has bumper plates bands sleds turf power racks anything you could need or use. I’m there usually every morning around 6 30am in civilian clothing and will have big black bag and chalk every where lol introduce your self if your around. Always cool to meet some guys on the forum.

Hey guys im also training to enter the military specifically The 75th Ranger Regiment. I am looking for advice to get started on some type of regimen that may help me lose weight and also prepare me for the challenges the Regt holds. I am 5’ 4" , 21 years old , 250 lbs & around 35-40 % body fat. I am a stocky guy, obviously over-weight, most of my excess weight is carried in my belly and between my waist. Diet wise ive started the AD diet and eating clean foods. Idk if i should be lifting weights yet especially since i have never done it before. Exerciser wise im going to start doing a body weight routine and i walk around 1-2 miles a day now with backpack weighing around 10-16 pounds for work. I’d greatly appreciate recommendations to get me towards this goal anything form diet to exercise to lifting style that may accelerate my progress.

The body weight workout

20 body weight squats
10 push ups
20 walking lunges
10 dumbbell rows 
15 second plank
30 Jumping Jacks