Training for the Marine Corps

So it is my senior year of high school , and ive recently enlisted into the marine corps. I leave june 17th , 2019. Ive always had my bodybuilding goals and dreams since i was 15 , and would love to continue this route for most of my senior year , aka bulking until around march , then start killing the high intensity workouts , running , etc. Does this seem possible ? or should i bag my goals for the moment and continue once i hit the fleet , and start training hard for bootcamp , fleet , etc… And for any marines out there who are willing to give insight , im going infantry , and i understand the load ill have to carry , any tips for this as well ?

I’m not in the Marines, but I’m in the Army and could probably help with the same stuff I did. Before OSUT I was doing my normal strength training about 3-4 days a week but just added push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups after my workouts to get better at the things I’d be tested on. Also if you have time for two-a-days that is ideal so you can do running and swimming when you’re not strength training. I’d say about two longer runs (5-7 miles) and two sprint sessions a week and you’d be in a much better spot than most other people.

Hope that helps.

I’ve found that dead lifting allowed me to jog while carrying an adult male on my back, which ought to be helpful when it comes to carrying around your gear.

Keep it simple.

4 years in Marine Corps infantry here.

1. Boot camp is mental. You can train to do lots of pushups and pull-ups and it will help, as well as set you apart from the out of shape ones, but drill instructors are attack dogs concerned with weeding out the mentally weak. Push yourself, don’t complain, don’t stand out from the crowd, and distance yourself from anyone weak.

2. You can start carrying light weighted loads to get yourself ready, but the loads that infantry carries during hikes is ridiculous and dangerous. We’re talking 80+ lb loads, at least when I was in, and it’s not smart or beneficial to practice with that beforehand. Just do it when they tell you to.

3. Take care of your feet. In boot camp you will get your gofasters (sneakers) and your shitty boots, but once you’re out, spend some money on a nice pair of boots. You will have regular blisters, blood blisters, cuts, scrapes, your feet will sweat so much they’ll prune. Do not fuck around with your feet - get good, supportive boots.

4. Save your money. You get free food and housing, and people will complain about mediocre wages but you can get through never spending a dime on anything and save up tons of money. I didn’t do this, I got drunk and partied nonstop, but I could have left with 20K+ in savings.

Finally- get it through your head now that nothing you do will prepare you for what you’ve signed up for. You’re in for a world of hurt, and if you’re doing this for money or a pat on the butt, you’ll get neither, because aside from a kind word every once in a while, nobody really understands or gives a shit about what you’ve been through. That’s fine. You volunteered, you didn’t have to provide a resume or interview, you just have to breathe and keep your head upright and you get to serve, with housing and food free for the next 4 years, and free college and medical benefits when you get out. Don’t be the veteran/service member who complains about how bad we have it. If you’re still alive and have all your limbs, you’ll be better off than a lot of my friends.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

amazing , thank you so much for the insight. Havent seen a response this great yet. Thank you sir !

1 Like

Have a look at Tactical Barbell (especially #2, you won’t regret it)

1 Like