Training for Teardrops

Hello everyone

Now I know there has been other forums about this but im a bit confused. Some people say that going as deep as possible in Squats is the best way to develop detailed teardrop quads. Some people have said its the last part of a Leg Extention and others have said that heavy quarter Squats better emphasize the Vastus Medialis.
So what is the actual way??

My chiropractor says it’s the last several degrees of extension that really hit the VM. I would say banded squats or quarter squats. Anything with a lot of resistance at the top.

No definitive way.

Try them out and see what works. This is like guys saying only bench with DBs or only bench flat bar if it’s incline.

Bodybuilding is about finding what works for your own body. You will not get everything from reading internet forums. Try things out and adjust based on the results. This really goes with programming in general. Many people are lost in the sea of advice and information out there. Sure, take info as a guide, but ultimately just get in the gym and learn for yourself.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
No definitive way.

Try them out and see what works. This is like guys saying only bench with DBs or only bench flat bar if it’s incline.

Bodybuilding is about finding what works for your own body. You will not get everything from reading internet forums. Try things out and adjust based on the results. This really goes with programming in general. Many people are lost in the sea of advice and information out there. Sure, take info as a guide, but ultimately just get in the gym and learn for yourself.[/quote]

I agree.

Some mighty big pros don’t even have prominent teardrops, so of course much of it is as genetic as quad sweep, lat insertion points, etc.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Some mighty big pros don’t even have prominent teardrops, so of course much of it is as genetic as quad sweep, lat insertion points, etc. [/quote]

This is a great point. So many guys talk about lower lats, sorry if you are a white dude it ain’t gonna happen! (unless you are Waylander)

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Some mighty big pros don’t even have prominent teardrops, so of course much of it is as genetic as quad sweep, lat insertion points, etc. [/quote]

This is a great point. So many guys talk about lower lats, sorry if you are a white dude it ain’t gonna happen! (unless you are Waylander)[/quote]

… and Bone160.

:slight_smile:

Heels elevated Front Squats
/thread

=

Squatting deep has traditionally been the best for building the teardrop muscles. I have heard of others that swear by deep hack squats, or not locking out completely when squatting. For me, full ROM back squats have been the most effective.

This is what has always worked for me…

Leg Press
feet together
very low on the plate [only pressing with the ball of the foot]
all the way down to contact
higher rep range 15-25
no lock-out [or pausing] at the top

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
My chiropractor says it’s the last several degrees of extension that really hit the VM. I would say banded squats or quarter squats. Anything with a lot of resistance at the top.[/quote]

From a physiological perspective, this advice is correct.

[quote]Mateus wrote:
Heels elevated Front Squats
/thread[/quote]
x2

deep hack squats. I’ve never felt my entire “bottom” thigh as sore as when doing these in cluding the tear drop. Also, relatively heavy leg extensions without going to 90 degrees help

I believe also, beside genetics obviously, that Squats, hack squats, leg press done as deep as physiologically possible will favor the development of the teardrops, the first gym I attended in the 80s was known to have competitors with the biggest wheels, everybody was going deep and everyone had freaking nice teardrop, if it can help.

Eric

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

This is a great point. So many guys talk about lower lats, sorry if you are a white dude it ain’t gonna happen! (unless you are Waylander)[/quote]

Or Dorian Yates? Arnold?

Seems to me (through a lot of experimentation) that it has more to do with hip/knee position relative to the bar, but depth definitely plays a factor. So heavy front squats are a big hitter because not only are they full depth, they also force you to keep your hips and knees forward (or you’ll dump the bar).

I was a happy motherfucker the day I figured out how to FS without my knee screaming at me for days afterward. My quads have been making tons of improvement since then, especially down towards the knee.

[quote]cally wrote:

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
My chiropractor says it’s the last several degrees of extension that really hit the VM. I would say banded squats or quarter squats. Anything with a lot of resistance at the top.[/quote]

From a physiological perspective, this advice is correct. [/quote]

I always feel the VM during the lock out.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Or Dorian Yates? Arnold? [/quote]
Shelby Starnes?

It’s ok, though. We understand that racism is just good clean fun.

Well thanks to everyone that has posted, you’ve all been great help, its my Deadlifting day today but before I do a thousand sets of Deadlifts i’ll do a few sets of deep Front Squats and see how my legs feel in the morning.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Or Dorian Yates? Arnold? [/quote]
Shelby Starnes?

It’s ok, though. We understand that racism is just good clean fun.[/quote]

Racism? Really?

IT IS JUST A JOKE!

It is quite a common joke too I thought most guys here would get it.

Sorry for any offence caused if you are a white male and are self conscious of your high inserting lats.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

Racism? Really?

IT IS JUST A JOKE!
[/quote]
Like I said; good clean fun. It’s always just a joke.

I have no idea where my lat insertion points are. Probably pretty high, though, judging by my skin tone.