Training for Strongman

I am competing in a small local strongman competition on the 26th of july, i did a similar one last year but with no specific training at all but id like to place this year alot better, the events are Fire truck pull
Axle clean and press
Farmers & yoke medley
Max deadlift
Plus more than likely stones and circus dumbell

i am limited with equipment pretty much the equipment is there just for the competition , so any advice with training will help thanks guys

[quote]Darren1995 wrote:
I am competing in a small local strongman competition on the 26th of july, i did a similar one last year but with no specific training at all but id like to place this year alot better, the events are Fire truck pull
Axle clean and press
Farmers & yoke medley
Max deadlift

i am limited with equipment pretty much the equipment is there just for the competition , so any advice with training will help thanks guys [/quote]

For truck pull, you can push a car or a sled. Axle clean and press can be done with a barbell, just continental clean it to practice the motion. Farmers with dumbbells, and yoke is basically you coming in swinging come contest time since you will be out of luck in trying to emulate it. Deadlifts is self explanatory. Stone emulation can be seen below:

For programming, consider an event day designated for strongman events only, where you pick a certain few that you want to focus on for a while. Once you begin getting closer (5-7 weeks out) you can begin exclusively event only training. Essentially, you just fine tune and peak slowly . It’s the best way for now I’d say, but as you garner experience, you can find what works best for you.

You can make an axle for $50. Go to home depot, get a piece of 2" galvanized steel cut to 7.5’ or so, and use duct tape to make collars.

I was able to really benefit my grip for farmers by doing timed double overhand holds with a barbell. My technique is crap though.

SMV has some great advice in this thread.

How is training going?

[quote]jonalderson85 wrote:
How is training going?[/quote]

yeah not too bad thanks thursday i did power clean + push press and some deadlifts up to 507/230kg and following this back off sets 8x2 190kg supersetted with bench 8x2 100kg and friday 5x5 front squat 110kg some overhead work and overhand grip holds

[quote]Darren1995 wrote:
Axle clean and press
Farmers & yoke medley
Max deadlift

i am limited with equipment pretty much the equipment is there just for the competition , so any advice with training will help thanks guys [/quote]

Car pushing always seemed to help me with my truck pulls back when I competed. I’d have a friend get in it and crank up the music, pop it in neutral, then I’d push it with my hands on the rear bumper so I was staying low just like you need to for a good pull. I ended up pulling the tow truck they had set up for us without too much trouble.

You need an axle to train for axle. Training continentals with an Olympic bar is a good substitute, but not the same thing. It’s a whole different ball game when you have an axle. You can make one as mentioned before, or you can grab an old pool noodle, cut it to length, and duct tape it on to make a thick bar. I did that initially but a good quality axle is definitely a good investment.

Unless you have farmer’s or a yoke, they’re tough to train without. Until we got real implements, we used to do farmer’s with a pair of triceps bars. For yoke, we liked heavy high rep quarter squats and ending with some Hise shrugs.

Stones are definitely something you need to invest in if you want to get serious. Even a light stone is a good investment. My first attempt at stones, I only did 1/4 and the 225# stumped me. I picked up a 220# and after a few months of training with it once a week, the next contest I threw up the 280# without much trouble. River rocks are a good alternative, just find any big old rock lying about, throw it in your car, and bring it home.

For circus dumbbells, most of the time they’re easy unless the handle is thicker than normal. A pair of thick-handled adjustable dumbbells or some thick dumbbell sleeves should be all you need.

ive just found out that the local competition albeit against about 5 or so guys they will all be over 100kg bodyweight and I’m 83kg on a good day whats you guys opinion on bw on the events listed because i really dont fancy flat last in all events bad for the ego haha ( sarcasm)

With the presumption that you are competing as a novice, I wouldn’t worry about it. Novice is a very loose class where there’s far too many circumstances causing too precarious a situation to deduce any outcome. Go in with the attitude of getting better every day, and not worrying about what such and such is doing.

For a more practical answer, try learning newer and efficient ways to get weights up. Learn to jerk for overhead, practice speed since you’re lighter, and learn to hitch like hell.

Remember, at the end of the day, you are competing in a sport called STRONGman, it helps sometimes to remember that!

[quote]Darren1995 wrote:
ive just found out that the local competition albeit against about 5 or so guys they will all be over 100kg bodyweight and I’m 83kg on a good day whats you guys opinion on bw on the events listed because i really dont fancy flat last in all events bad for the ego haha ( sarcasm) [/quote]

I did my first strongman competition about 3 weeks ago. I came in last. It was the best day of my life.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote: Stone emulation can be seen below:

[/quote]

have any of you guys tried this? Did it seem to help much?

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote: Stone emulation can be seen below:

[/quote]

have any of you guys tried this? Did it seem to help much? [/quote]

Good for working on greasing the groove, but as you add more bumpers it emulates the stone less and less. 300lbs of bumpers vs 300lbs of stone is alot different due to diameter and surface makeup. It’s great to do if you have no stones though.