Training for Strength

Hi everyone, I am just looking for some feedback on my new routine. With my 3 years of lifting I have made great gains in both size and strength. But my main goal right now is to add as much strength as possible.

I just finished the strength-focused mesocycle which I thought was pretty good as all of the lifts I did in that routine went up a lot. I now made a routine myself which I’m not sure I’m ready to do yet but I am impatient. Anyways, any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

day 1: bench, pull-up, front squat: 3x3, band pushdowns x 35

day 3: deadlift, military press, lunges, 3x5

day 5: squat, rows, dips, 3x4

day 2, 4, 6 and 7 rest. 90 sec rest. straight sets. If you need anymore information please ask. Again, thanks in advance for any replies.

why areu squatting on a bench day, doing back on a squat day as well as triceps, u need to reorganize this:

1: bench and assistance

3: deadlift and assistance

5: squat and assist although id switch one and three so u have more recovery btw dead and squat

and if those are the only exercises u are doing i dont see u making the most u could out of ur workouts

I agree with bignate, you could also try deads with squats, saving you more rest time for your legs, and working out the same muscles that day.

[quote]bignate wrote:
why areu squatting on a bench day, doing back on a squat day as well as triceps, u need to reorganize this:

1: bench and assistance

3: deadlift and assistance

5: squat and assist although id switch one and three so u have more recovery btw dead and squat

and if those are the only exercises u are doing i dont see u making the most u could out of ur workouts[/quote]

Okay, so if I understand correctly it would more like…

1: deadlift, pullups, front squat
3: bench, military, some sort of tricep movement
5: squat, lunges, hamstring movement

Is that correct? Sorry if I come across as an ignorant newb.

Hey My friend, Try taking a look at shieko, If you like to bench and squat all in the same day and are not going to do much in the way of assistance lifts this might be a good option for you…

i agree with bignate also, but what you are doing is more like bodybuilding-he is advising powerlifting training. i would suggest adding strongman type work, like farmers walks, sled pulls, log press, my strength has gone up tons in the 6 months i’ve been adding S/M W/O’s to my P/L W/O’s.

i went from 239lbs to 254lbs and compete at 242 class. just start thinking o/s of the box and powerhouse style of lifting and you will GROW in all aspects

the second one u posted is better, listen to raw dog hes a beast

Whatever you do allow yourself to rest longer than 90 secs, more like 2-5 minutes for your bigger, more important exercises. The goal is to be pretty fresh when you approach each set. Also a lot of people (but not everybody) like ascending sets (increasing the weight each set) instead of straight sets when training for strength.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Whatever you do allow yourself to rest longer than 90 secs, more like 2-5 minutes for your bigger, more important exercises. The goal is to be pretty fresh when you approach each set. Also a lot of people (but not everybody) like ascending sets (increasing the weight each set) instead of straight sets when training for strength.[/quote]

Agreed…something thats working well for me is working up to a “peak” set where i try to PR, and then back the weight down for a couple sets. As an example of 5x5 on deads I might go:

355x5, 375x5, 415x5 (all out), 375x5, 350x5

Weight selection is decided in the moment (depending on how my lifts are going).

I love back down sets, particularly on bench and squats. Bill Starr felt they are particularly beneficial on the pushing exercises but not so much on the pulling ones.

mmmm i love to do it on bench as well like i peak out with a certain number then go down 10 pounds each following set or so :slight_smile: i love weights

Damn, it’s hard to choose just one. But I think sheiko looks the most interesting so I think I’ll try workout #29.

Question about the program. Deadlift to knees is just a deadlift only going up to your knees, correct? And with deadlifts from pins…How high should the pins be?

just below the knee cap is a pretty good place. Don’t worry about your pace the first time through, just finish all the workouts no matter how long it takes to recover between sets.