T Nation

Training For Strength on DB BP?

One of my current goals is to increase my strength on the DB bench press. Currently I can do the 100lb dbs for about 5 reps. I would like to be able to do the 120's for 8-10 reps.

I'm going to be doing the 1-6 protocol, but dont know how this would work with dbs. My 5rm seems to be the heaviest weight I can get into the starting position. I may be able to get the 105's up for one rep, but it would be ugly. So it looks like 1-6 wouldnt work. Right?

Are there any other good protocols I could use to get my strength up on these?

Should I just go higher reps, like 6-10, and when I hit 10 reps for 2 sets with a weight, then increase??

Thx for the advice.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

10x3 or Pavel's 1-2-3 ladders will work well

thx pushharder. A couple of questions though.

1) Do you know if platemates will work on the DB's with the plastic coating?

2) Whats beat-the-log book?

3) How were you able to do 1-arm presses heavy?

I know I can do 100's with both arms, but I dont think I have anywhere near the stabalization required to do 1-arm.

Thx again.

I'd like to ask, are you doing another pressing movement, specifically a normal bench press, etc, or is this your main movement?

I got MUCH better at DB benching by doing 75's x10-15 for 3 sets. Nothing to burn out on, just to get used to higher reps. The 2nd bench day, I'd use 100s and do 100s x8x3 as a second movement to heavy bench. For me, it was a recovery issue and the high rep work really helped me get to a point where 100s were easy, even after being burnt out from heavy pressing before hand.

You'll also wanna do lat/ upper back work as well. That'll help too.

I found a good protocol that worked well for the DB press. I would start off with 3 sets of 10 with the same weight, resting about 1 minute. Do that 2-3 times a week. Then the next week I would keep the same weight but add 1 set. Then the following week same weight but add one more set. Either keep the rest the same or if you really want to make it more brutal decrease the rest by 10-15 secs each week. The weight was not that heavy, about 60-70% of what i could do for a set of 10. The same time I was doing this I was also doing a lot of bench pressing (Sheiko routine to be precise), I did this after the sets of bench. Even still the first week the weight feels quite easy but don't go up and focus on form, the extra sets and shorter rest add up.

Here is an example
Week 1) 70 x 10 reps x 3 sets (1 min rest) Do 2-3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri or something)
Week 2) 70 x 10 reps x 4 sets (:45 sec rest) Do 2-3 times a week
Week 3) 70 x 10 reps x 5 sets (:30 sec rest) Do 2-3 times a week

Week 4 or 5) Pick a weight and max out, I think I got 100 x 20 for 2 sets and failed on the third with 2 min rest or something like that.

I think you should focus on good form the whole time, I was doing mine with Neutral grip to better mimic the path of the bar on the bench press (although when I did the max week I did regular grip). I also think improving your bench press helps increase your DB's a lot. Don't cut the ROM short. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys. I definately want to keep the weights heavier with less sets, so I was thinking of doing about 3 sets with my working weights.

Im probably going to lighten the load a bit and start trying 1-arm presses for a while, and see how those go.

I was planning on doing 1-6 for all my strength exercises but dont see how it would be possible for DB bench. The only thing I could think of would be a maximal isometric for the 1 and then DB bench for the 6.

I'll give em a try, you guys have given me plenty of options. Thank you.