T Nation

Training for Strength & Hypertrophy

Hey, not new to the site just to the forums. I'm right now doing a training regimen that I wonder about.

Basically, I am a huge fan of the big movements, namely the clean/press, deadlift, and squat. I enjoy the masochism involved and want to get stronger at them. I also am working on some of the lagging body parts, strength and sizewise. My workout schedule has looked like this for the last couple weeks and I am wondering if this is the wrong way to go about improving strength and hypertrophy.

monday - I start off with squats, then do leg exercises that support the squat. leg press/lunges/calf stuff.

wednesday - Typical chest day, do 4/5 total exercises, 3 sets of 10 at the moment.

friday - I just practice the clean/press, maybe add in some shoulder work but only to improve stability.

sunday - Typical bicep day, do 4/5 total exercises, 3 sets of 10 at the moment.

tuesday - I start off with Deadlift and then do support exercises namely lower back which is my weakest group with this exercise.

Well there you have it, the training is sortof all over the place. I enjoy this immensely, but am I trying to accomplish too many things? What do you think??

[quote]hugh.mann wrote:
I also am working on some of the lagging body parts, strength and sizewise. [/quote]

Not sure how long you been doing this but, you may not have to worry about lagging shit if everything is still lagging. Ya know?

I’ll be the first one to tell someone not to use a cookie cutter program if they are not an idiot, and can understand themselves and basic shit. BUT if you are honestly confused as to whether what you’re doing is working or not, you may want to look into a program written by someone else that has proven results.

[quote]monday - I start off with squats, then do leg exercises that support the squat. leg press/lunges/calf stuff.

wednesday - Typical chest day, do 4/5 total exercises, 3 sets of 10 at the moment.

friday - I just practice the clean/press, maybe add in some shoulder work but only to improve stability.

tuesday - I start off with Deadlift and then do support exercises namely lower back which is my weakest group with this exercise.
[/quote]

People need more detail to help you man.

But don’t “maybe add shoulder work” DO FUCKING SHOULDER WORK. Jesus. You talk about lagging bodyparts and then talk about maybe throwing some shit in for shoulders? See where I’m going with this?

And you need to do some fucking rowing. Row row row that boat.

I wouldn’t say it’s all over the place, and we all are pretty much trying to get bigger/stronger/faster.

But I think if you focus on big compounds, toss in some aux work, bust your ass, and eat like a champion, you will be fine.

I appreciate the reply, harsh haha. Yeah I have been very focused for the last 2.5 years with lifting and feel like I am overall strong there are just some parts of my body that I guess I have not focused on enough through the years.

The main goal was just to bounce this plan off some of you guys. I just finished my last 6 week superset workout scheme, which hit all the main muscle groups over 5 workouts a week. I want to do something every other day, 5 days a week is a bit much so I just came up with this plan. I will do it for 4 weeks or so and see how things progress.

And about the shoulder work, you’re right I shouldn’t pussyfoot that but I exhaust the shit out of myself with clean and jerk, usually I don’t feel the need to continue with more shoulder focused exercises. Sometimes I just work on the clean more then the jerk part and in that circumstance I will then add more shoulder strengthening exercises. But I digress…

[quote]hugh.mann wrote:
blabla[/quote]

Fuck yeah! Diamond Sword from Starsiege: Tribes.
You fucking rock. Best game ever. EVER.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
hugh.mann wrote:
blabla

Fuck yeah! Diamond Sword from Starsiege: Tribes.
You fucking rock. Best game ever. EVER.[/quote]

Man don’t get me started, that game was my life in high school… I have had to work my fucking ass off to well, work my ass off :smiley:

You probably should have some tricep isolation work. My suggestion would be on bicep day.

[quote]hugh.mann wrote:
Hey, not new to the site just to the forums. I’m right now doing a training regimen that I wonder about.

Basically, I am a huge fan of the big movements, namely the clean/press, deadlift, and squat. I enjoy the masochism involved and want to get stronger at them. I also am working on some of the lagging body parts, strength and sizewise. My workout schedule has looked like this for the last couple weeks and I am wondering if this is the wrong way to go about improving strength and hypertrophy.

monday - I start off with squats, then do leg exercises that support the squat. leg press/lunges/calf stuff.

Well there you have it, the training is sortof all over the place. I enjoy this immensely, but am I trying to accomplish too many things? What do you think??[/quote]

5-3-1 perhaps?