Training for Olympic Weightlifting

I already have a great weightlifting coach who actually lets me run with my own training ideas, for the most part (though, he has the final say-so). If I’m doing something counter-productive, he’ll tell me. If I’m not doing something that I should be doing, he’ll tell me.
I posted here to get some different point of views, but I assure you I will be asking my coach and fellow lifters the same questions.
By the way, I train at Lost Batallion Hall in NY. Some of the other lifters are ridiculously strong and truly inspirational to watch and train with. Hopefully, I will be joining their ranks soon.

[quote]rockandrollsoul wrote:
Koing,
Thanks for chiming in. A couple questions regarding the exercises you listed:

1. What’s the difference between a bent row and an olmpic style bent row?
  2. What’s a jerk drive?

With regards to the max effort training, this is what my coach and I have found to work best for me. Before I started going max effort with the olympic lifts, I would find that whenever I tested my lifts there was little to no improvement. Since I’ve incorporated ME o-lifts, my lifts have been steadily increasing.[/quote]

Bent forward row oly style : your at the start of the 2nd pull position. Shoulders over the bar, legs a bit bent, basically the start of the 2nd pull. Keep your shoulders OUT OVER THE BAR AT ALL TIMES. Fast up, slow down, repeat 6-8reps x 3-4sets

Other bent forward row I usually see is people stick their asses out and lean forwards BUT their shoulders are NEVER over the bar or knees.

1. Jerk drive: You dip and drive the bar up, the bar is loaded to about 110-115, maybe 120% of your best Jerk. This exercise is to overload the dip and drive phase of the Jerk. You DON’T try to split under it!

Only dip and drive the bar. It will help to teach you to stay ULTRA tight in the dip and drive phase and get use to heavy weights. Most Jerks are forwards and hence the recovery is never text book. If the Jerk was text book the recovery will be text book also.

If it works best for you stick with it :). But interesting you didn’t find any improvement. Doesn’t your coach write your schedules?

Koing

Thanks, again for the info, Koing. Just to clarify, with a jerk drive do you try to lockout the weight? It seems like w/out splitting, locking out 110-120% would be difficult. And if it is locked out, wouldn’t that just make it a push jerk/squat jerk?

By the way, if I miss a heavy jerk, I usually lose it behind me. This is because when I split, I tend to split down and forward. I get low enough but the weight ends up behind me. My coach has had me doing more squat jerks lately just to get a feel for pushing myself straight down under the bar.

I also think that my lockout needs work. The jerk is my weak link (though it’s catching up to my clean). I’m most comfortable snatching.

About my coach writing my programs, see above. We write my training program together, though I like to come in with lots of ideas to toy with. He’s pretty open-minded when it comes to new ideas.

Some coaches are a bit stubborn and religiously stick to tradition. Both he and I are of the school of thought that results speak for themselves. So if something works, we do it. If it doesn’t we get rid of it.

PS: Koing, after doing a bit mre reading and asking around the gym, I’ve decided to bring up my dynamic effort load to the 70-80% range. Thanks for the tip.

[quote]rockandrollsoul wrote:
Thanks, again for the info, Koing. Just to clarify, with a jerk drive do you try to lockout the weight? It seems like w/out splitting, locking out 110-120% would be difficult. And if it is locked out, wouldn’t that just make it a push jerk/squat jerk?

By the way, if I miss a heavy jerk, I usually lose it behind me. This is because when I split, I tend to split down and forward. I get low enough but the weight ends up behind me. My coach has had me doing more squat jerks lately just to get a feel for pushing myself straight down under the bar.

I also think that my lockout needs work. The jerk is my weak link (though it’s catching up to my clean). I’m most comfortable snatching.[/quote]

You don’t lock the weight out. You literally only dip and drive the bar. The bar will go to about your chin height or so. Just let it come down, bend your knees and cushion the blow. Repeat for 2-3reps per set. This will help your Jerks. Cool exercise.

The dip and drive shoulud be perfectly straight, once on to your toes you split. Back foot should be short, sharp and bent at the knees. This pushes your hips more square. Your front foot should be YOUR FOOT LENGTH IN FRONT.

e.g. stick stand up. Now put one foot in front of the other foot. See where your toe is on foot that is in front? Well when you Jerk the heel of your front foot should be there if not a bit further.

Cool man. Definately. Results speak for themselves.

My coach is open minded also. I did a few cycles of stuff I wanted to do that he didn’t perticularly agree with :P. But mainly I follow my coachs program to a T.

Koing