T Nation

Training for My Job

What’s goin’ on? I have been a member for a while, though I only really read the posts from you guys and I changed all my info, but I am not a newbee.

I have been racking my brain about this and I have some ideas, but don’t really know how to verbalize them or make them into a program do to the million things running through my head, you know, bottlenecking…

I am a Special Operations Combat Medic in the Army and need to have a unique skill set. I have a bench of around 350-360, squat 460-500 (depending on the day, and that morning’s PT), dead of 550, and clean of 275ish. I am 225 at 6’3" and about 16% BF (eat alot of carbs).

My question is about where my focus should be on training for my job. I feel my best at about 205-210, and need to be able to run sub 12min 2miles, carry my weight(as in another person on my back) plus ruck for up to a mile, carry 120lb ruck indefinitely over crazy terrain, climb walls with all gear, and still be able to think clearly when i arrive on the objective, all after jumping from 800 ft with combat equip (very hard on lower extremity joints). I have never seen a workout that encompasses such an array (the military is kind of behind the curve on training), and would like any help that could be given to set me in the right direction.

PS-- I am also in school 40+ hrs a week and that is pretty rigorous, too. Take it for what it’s worth. Thanks in advance.

I call B.S.

A Special Ops soldier of that description would have no need of asking what you’re asking.

Call BS, that’s cool. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. The military’s way of training is finding the ones who can do it, and then having them repeat said tasks over and over. I am simply asking for weight training that could help make a faster progression.

I can do everything listed above. The part I am having a had time with is that I am drained afterwards, and find it difficult to focus (dangerous for my friends should I feel that way in combat).

What lifts should I focus on to make those areas my strengths? I run long distances in the mornings, with alternating “buddy carries”, but that is not enough. I want to exceed the standard, as I will have to do everything that my team does, and then some?

i have the Rangers Athlete Warrior Workout i could send you, but PM me your AKO e-mail address. it’s pretty much exactly what you’re looking for, but silly me, i’m not gonna post that for someone that’s not gonna use it for real…kinda of a stipulation from the guy i got it from.

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
I call B.S.

A Special Ops soldier of that description would have no need of asking what you’re asking. [/quote]

btw, this is what a Spec Ops (or really, a standard Infantryman) needs to be:

As strong as possible, as fast as possible, with the ability to go with out eating as long as possible and weigh the least amount possible, all the while reamining calm, direct and aggressively pursuing our nation’s enamies as long as humanely possible…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
Eddie_would_tow wrote:
I call B.S.

A Special Ops soldier of that description would have no need of asking what you’re asking.

btw, this is what a Spec Ops (or really, a standard Infantryman) needs to be:

As strong as possible, as fast as possible, with the ability to go with out eating as long as possible and weigh the least amount possible, all the while reamining calm, direct and aggressively pursuing our nation’s enamies as long as humanely possible…[/quote]

That’s what I’m sayin’. I have been in the 195-200 range and my run times definitely improved, but I felt weaker than wet bread. My best shape ever was at 205 and I felt like a monster.

But the rucks kinda weighed on me, so I am trying to figure out how to be the total package so I can still save lives when all my buddies are sucking wind. I bury my mistakes, thus I can afford none.

When did you go through the short course?

I’m a long course grad/instructor.

Good to see an alumni.

***Gotta say though, I am chuckling about your cheesy screen name pretty hard.

Still in the short course, that’s the 40+ hrs of school, but I can’t see myself not finishing, so I’m preparing as though I’m there. So I’m not official yet but I want to be ready to go when I get to my unit.

I am sure I will get railed. Crossfit. The randomization of it will help you adapt maybe. I think the real issue is your recovery. You are strong as an ox but if it takes a half hour for your heart rate to get to normal after hard work you are going to have a focus problem.

I have heard of fighters doing intense pad work (5x3 minute rounds)with minimal rest and at the end of the rounds they start asking them simple math questions. I dont know if this helps but…

why would a “random” training program increase the ability to adapt?

i do like your idea about using exercise/thinking combos…sorta like KIMS games (for you sniper types)

I worked out hard today. Incline 4x6, front squat 4x6, bi and tri work, then I ran and did some budy carries. I lost all my breakfast. I weighed myself at 231 today so I wanna drop about 15 to 20 lb. I still remain clear-headed but what worries me is my coordination after a hard workout. It’s out of commission for about 15 min. What are KIMS games?

[quote]SOCMSuperman wrote:
I worked out hard today. Incline 4x6, front squat 4x6, bi and tri work, then I ran and did some budy carries. I lost all my breakfast. I weighed myself at 231 today so I wanna drop about 15 to 20 lb. I still remain clear-headed but what worries me is my coordination after a hard workout. It’s out of commission for about 15 min. What are KIMS games?[/quote]
KIM Keep in Mind!

[quote]amphibian wrote:
When did you go through the short course?

I’m a long course grad/instructor.

Good to see an alumni.

***Gotta say though, I am chuckling about your cheesy screen name pretty hard.[/quote]

The green tick and nasty nick were SOBs!!! LOL!

If anyone has any army manual hardcore training stuff laying around, feel free to send me some of that stuff :d I find it really interesting and i’m sure i could make use of it somehow :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry for derailing thread.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

i do like your idea about using exercise/thinking combos…sorta like KIMS games (for you sniper types)[/quote]

Adapting to a randomized stress situation seems to fit.

I would say also do some kind of combat training Muay thai or jiu-jitsu when you gassed and have to keep going and thinking of the next move would also be a benefit.

[quote]Hyperion wrote:
cycobushmaster wrote:

i do like your idea about using exercise/thinking combos…sorta like KIMS games (for you sniper types)

Adapting to a randomized stress situation seems to fit.

I would say also do some kind of combat training Muay thai or jiu-jitsu when you gassed and have to keep going and thinking of the next move would also be a benefit.[/quote]

ah, i get ya now.

the JJ idea is a good one…one of my buddy’s suggested that i run several miles or so before i rolled jj the next time, since i have issues with “muscling” technique…his theory is if i’m tired, i’ll have to learn the technique

We do Modern Army Combatives, based on BJJ, with some other stuff thrown in, 2 days a week, run 2 days, and crossfit the other day. It’s a pretty well rounded program as far as everything you giys are saying, I was just wondering about what to focus on during my own PT after the school day.

I played college football, so most of my knowledge is based on workouts for that. I have been struggling with the transition to a different type of athletic training.

With your relatively high BF% I would say you would be pretty darn strong for a guy who would weigh 190lbs at 6’3" in the 8-10% BF range.

My lack of conditioning was exposed on our 10 mile run this morning. I was so far behind that I don’t even know where they went, so I ran around the woods until I saw something familiar and ended up running about 7 miles. I want to get to about 200ish.

yeah, i’m a former navy seal and green beret. next week i think i’m going to try out for the french forigen legion. maybe you and i could get together SOCM and we could get a few workouts in so i’ll be in good shape for tryouts?