Training for Motocross

Does anyone know what type of training I should be doing for training for motocross? The races are about thirty minutes long and we have three races per day, plus a 30 min practice session, over a period of about 6 hours i.e. we have about an hour’s rest between races. I need to be strong enough to tell the bike what to do and throw it around but also have the stamina to go the distance - the stamina is probably a bigger part of it, especially grip strength over 30 minutes.

I’m 25 years old and I’ve been riding since I was 6 years old and race in the 125cc British Championship. I’ve been training since I was 14, but only seriously since for the last 5 years. I’m 6’0", 180 pounds with about 10% bf.

The training I usually do would be about 50:50 CV and resistance training. I would use rep ranges in the region of 20-25 since I’ve been told by motocross trainers any lowers reps will reduce my stamina (especially grip strength over 30 minute races). I am quite sceptical of this view and think I might benefit from incorporating strength training. In my experience as a motocrosser I have found that the best training for motocross is motocross i.e. riding the bike for 2 or more hours a day. Unfortunately I’ve got a full time desk job so I have to rely on the gym as I can’t get to ride my bike in the week. I’d be grateful if anyone would be able to suggest a plan/rep ranges etc. I was thinking that maybe I should do some strength training combined with circuit training (about 1 minutes per station with minimal rest) and CV work? Any ideas?

stephane roncada has some info @ his sight. but you are dead on about no substitute for time on the bike.

Cheers Chris, I’ll take a look at it. He’s a road racer though so he probably trains differently again.

Doh! My mistake, Roncada races MX in the States doesn’t he. I’m such a dumbass, I thought he was a french road racer ;-(