Training for More Than an Hour

Is it ok normally to stay in the gym for more then an hour?? my workouts normally last 1.5 hours, sometimes more. I think the reason is I seem to be resting alot between sets (like 3-5 min) when doing heavy lifting, and it ends up taking over an hour. Should I cut my rest time down?? I feel that if I cut my rest time down, I won’t be able to hit all the reps for all sets on the exercise.

The new article says 60 mins is ideal.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1831791

But, but! I always work over 120 mins… Although, I train with other people. So, it takes longer either way.

yeah I checked it out which is what prompted me to ask this.

i say do what your program says.

though im guessing the 60 mins dont include cardio, warm up, stretching, changing the weight on the barbells.

After 50 minutes or so your cortisol level starts really jumping upwards. While longer than 60 minute workouts aren’t the end of the world, you’re not getting maximum results from all that extra effort. Your best bet would be to spread your workouts over more days, or workout twice a day.

My workouts never take more than 45mins.

1. This doesn’t include, getting to the gym, changing, weighing, or warm-up.

2. Timer starts right after my first set - and yes I actually use my watch to time rest intervals.

3. On lighter/dynamic days my rest is 45secs to 1min - that is usually just enough time to mark off that I did the last set, take a quick drink from the water bottle and start setting up for the next set. Heavy days are 3min between sets (with less sets and/or reps) so it evens out.

4. I’m doing 4 or less exercises.

5. My entire workout is written BEFORE I get to the gym…so I can warm up and GO! all I have to do is “tick off” that I did a set…or weight…etc.

6. I also NEVER wait for a machine, bench, or anything else. If something is in use I use/do something else.

HTH

Time your rest periods! If your gym doesn’t have a bit timer/clock on the wall(mine does) bring a stop watch. Do what your program says, and if that means only 60 sec. rest between sets, then just stick to 60 seconds.

If you’re doing maximal strength work that requires 3-4 rest between sets, then there’s not really much you can do. I’m sure there are other people that train more than an hour and have had great success.

In the end, take a look at what’s keeping you there longer. Are you taking too long between sets? Are you flapping your mouth too much, and talking a lot? Or are you working out with intensity for all 1.5 hours? Decide what keeps you there for more than an hour, and see if it’s something outside of training.

I’m usually in the gym for an hour and 15 minutes or there abouts. That includes a short cardio warm up, dynamic stretching, lifting/rest, then some static stretching at the end. It’s about a 10 minute walk to and from the gym (longer on squat days), so my total time is about an hour and 35 minutes. Do what works.

All those idiotic conversations people have with their work-out partner don’t count as work-out time.

Most of the best O-lifters are in the gym for some long ass sessions.

I know what you mean when you say 1 hour or less is ideal but going about 90 mins is fine im sure. The idea is you’re not slacking and your making weights right? So not to worry. But if you ever have a day when you want to liven it up just:

• pick 3 lifts (squat, dip, chin etc)
  • get all the wieghts on the bars
  • circuit them
  • run through the circuit with 20 second (or so) rests
  • get it all done in less than 30 minutes

After this type of ‘hard work’ training I get a monster test boost like 20 mins after. Huge boner etc. Same with a quick pair of O-lifting complexes.

Just random.

Also if you sip Surge ro some other drink like it (CHO+pro) then it apparently lowers your cortisol levels.

-chris

Do what you need to do to get strong.

If you’re Doing 10 sets of Snatches with lots of rest in between, your workout will probably run longer than an hour.

If your workout could be cut by 20 minutes because you do leg extensions and leg curls at the end then you might be better off dropping those exercises and eating as soon as possible.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Do what you need to do to get strong.

If you’re Doing 10 sets of Snatches with lots of rest in between, your workout will probably run longer than an hour.

If your workout could be cut by 20 minutes because you do leg extensions and leg curls at the end then you might be better off dropping those exercises and eating as soon as possible.

[/quote]

exactly.

-chris