T Nation

Training for Military PT Test

Anyone experienced with training for a PT test for boot camp? I have a test coming up and was wondering how you guys would go about training for it. I have to do a certain amount of pushups for time and situps along with a mile run. Obviously i should train with distance running, pushups and situps. Any other good suggestions or good programs out their?

I always found that training for the PT test is how you train for the PT test. Meaning if you want to get good at push ups, sit ups and a 2 mile run…practice push ups, sit ups and a 2 mile run.

My best PT test scores were from when I trained with specificity for the PT test. Set after set of push ups…set after set of sit ups…and logging those miles on the pavement.

I also found that my run times improved if I trained where we actually did the PT test. So for example, if your unit has a 1/4 mile track somewhere that the take you to and have you run around it for 8 laps…then do that. Or if there is a stretch of road a mile long that they have you run up to a turn-around point and come back…do that.

What branch are you going to bootcamp for? How much do you run currently?

If you have done some running, I’d suggest 3 run sessions a week. 1 long-ish (3-5 miles), 1 sprint/track workout ( http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/running_man has alot of good suggestions for setting up a track day) and 1 day where you run your PFT’s prescribed distance and try to set a PR.

Make sure to warm up and stretch before and after any run day- getting a pulled hamstring/groin whatever will just fuck up your other training.

For pushups and situps, just do lots or reps/sets. Do a max set when you wake up-before bed-when you’re watching TV. It’s easy to recover from pushups and situps. This will build up plenty of endurance for these exercises, as you’ll be doing alot of them at basic training.

I also suggest testing your max on pushups and situps on the same day as you do your timed PFT distance run. Just think of it as a mock PFT. This will build confidence in yourself and give you clues as to where you need to improve as well as give you a decent idea as to how you’ll perform on a real PFT. You may do better or worse on the actual PFT. I personally perform better on the actual test- something to do with the competition aspect. Practice makes perfect.

In my experience, Boot Camp will provide all the training you need.

If you want to show up prepared, train as you test. Push-ups, sit-ups, and run. Running after situps is much different that just running.

Run about 2x the required distance, 1x per week.
Run intervals 1x per week. (30 sec spint followed by 30 sec rest)
Run for fun 1x per week.

Pushups - I prefer to do 25, 3-4 times a day. Not enough to wear you out, but enough to get the muscles working.

Situps - I work up to about 60 a set.

The PT test is a lot easier that squats and deadlifts, but it takes some specific training.

In my experience, Boot Camp will provide all the training you need.

If you want to show up prepared, train as you test. Push-ups, sit-ups, and run. Running after situps is much different that just running.

Run about 2x the required distance, 1x per week.
Run intervals 1x per week. (30 sec spint followed by 30 sec rest)
Run for fun 1x per week.

Pushups - I prefer to do 25, 3-4 times a day. Not enough to wear you out, but enough to get the muscles working.

Situps - I work up to about 60 a set.

The PT test is a lot easier that squats and deadlifts, but it takes some specific training.

Boot Camp will train you…unless you’re a total lump to begin with.lol
A mile run? Who da fuck runs just a mile? The Army runs 2 miles, the Marines run 3 and the Navy runs 1.5.

Thanks guys good information. Its just a PT test for the National Guard. All of your feedback is much appreciated!

[quote]BayAreaBarbell wrote:
Thanks guys good information. Its just a PT test for the National Guard. All of your feedback is much appreciated! [/quote]

What does the guard require for PT? What’s the maximum score?

[quote]TheBigV wrote:

What does the guard require for PT? What’s the maximum score?[/quote]

http://www.army.com/enlist/APFT.html

2 Mile Run, pushups, and Situps

Scores by age, height, and weight can be found at that website

[quote]amphibian wrote:
A mile run? Who da fuck runs just a mile? The Army runs 2 miles, the Marines run 3 and the Navy runs 1.5.[/quote]

Might be referring to the pre-Basic Combat Training standard of one min pushups, one min situps and one mile run- they test recruits on this before they ship to basic.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/pre_basic_combat_training_physical_fitness_training/the-111-physical-fitness-.shtml

[quote]amphibian wrote:
A mile run? Who da fuck runs just a mile? The Army runs 2 miles, the Marines run 3 and the Navy runs 1.5.[/quote]

and the air force stationary bikes for 5 min.

zing!

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]amphibian wrote:

and the air force stationary bikes for 5 min.

zing![/quote]

Cheer Force for a reason! I realize the other sister services envy our living accomodations at the 4 seasons, but please do not talk about our physical fitness. It takes hard work to push buttons and fly jets. LMAO

Freakin Army guys. Always thinking you guys are the next Rambo!

BUMP love this thread

As someone who just got out of Air Force Basic Training (yes, yes… I know), I would train specifically for the tests. Run and do tons of pushups and situps. But mix it up a little, do diamond pushups, widegrip pushups, planks. Also, like others said run intervals and sprints nut just long distances. I found that I was better in my 2 mile run for soccer tryouts when I trained equally for 120yd sprints than my 1.5 miles at Basic when thats all I focused on.

http://www.stewsmith.com/ this site has a lot of great articles on workouts specifically for improving fitness numbers for boot camp.

You will get in shape at boot camp but its a lot better to go into it in good shape. Does national Guard have any incentives for being in the highest level of PT?

[quote]BayAreaBarbell wrote:
Anyone experienced with training for a PT test for boot camp? I have a test coming up and was wondering how you guys would go about training for it. I have to do a certain amount of pushups for time and situps along with a mile run. Obviously i should train with distance running, pushups and situps. Any other good suggestions or good programs out their? [/quote]

Honestly.

Run (distance and sprints).Pushups.Situps.

I think thats all you need to do.

I ship to Ft.Sill next month. Cant wait.

I’ve never scored under a 360 on the extended scale since joining the Army. 377 in Basic.

Here’s what I usually do:

Monday - pushups, pullups, situps, light easy jog for 30 minutes
Tuesday - 800m runs, 1 minute rest, usually about 5 total
Wednesday - pushups, pullups, situps, light easy jog for 30 minutes
Thursday - 1200m runs, 3 minutes rest, usually about 4 total
Friday - Wednesday - pushups, pullups, situps, light easy jog for 30 minutes
Saturday - long run for about an hour, go for distance each week
Sunday - Off

Notes:
2-3 sets of max on your pushups, pullups, and situps is enough (you’re hitting them 3 times a week.)
Take it easy on jogs but really push the other runs. Your 3 quality runs per week are what brings your 2 mile time down.
Maintain a log book and beat it every week.

I promise you’ll max it if you have the discipline to follow this program for 12 weeks. See if you can beat 377.