T Nation

Training for Mass

Im 15 years old, 5 ft 10 and weigh around 70 kg. Has anyone any advice on weight training programs to gain size and some strength ?

5x5 and WS4SB are both programs I used as a beginner to gain a great deal of mass and strength simultaneously. Just as or maybe more importantly, you need to eat like it’s your job along with training like an animal. But as for training templates, I highly recommend those two.

[quote]Boyce67 wrote:
Im 15 years old, 5 ft 10 and weigh around 70 kg. Has anyone any advice on weight training programs to gain size and some strength ? [/quote]

For your food, which is pretty much more important than your training when it comes to putting on size:

• Eat the foods talked about this article on most days
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_antiskinny_fat_manifesto

• Eat “good food” more often than you eat “crap” (junk food, soda, etc.) but you don’t need to eat like a dieting bodybuilder all the time.

• Eat breakfast every single day, as soon as you can. A real meal, not just a piece of toast with a smidge of butter.

• Don’t get confused looking at supplements. You don’t need any right now. If you’re dying to include something, a quality protein shake once or twice a day would be the best bet.

For training, start with a basic bodyweight plan to prepare your body for heavy weight lifting:

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)

Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)

Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)

Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (assisted if necessary. Could be substituted with inverted rows.)

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

When that’s all easy (could be 1-2 weeks or longer, depending on your current strength and abilities), switch to any basic free-weight focused program.

Chris I made myself seem like more of a newb then I actually am. I have done a good bit of training for a few months now and have already gained a decent amount of strength. I can squat 210lb for 5 reps, bench press 150lb for 5 reps, military press 105lb for 5 reps and deadlift 220lb for 5 reps.

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of rep range and split is the best for mass and strength. However thanks for all the info on nutrition.

Also Ebomb what is WS4SB ?

Mainly mass by the way

[quote]Boycedog wrote:
Chris I made myself seem like more of a newb then I actually am. I have done a good bit of training for a few months now and have already gained a decent amount of strength. I can squat 210lb for 5 reps, bench press 150lb for 5 reps, military press 105lb for 5 reps and deadlift 220lb for 5 reps.

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of rep range and split is the best for mass and strength. However thanks for all the info on nutrition.

Also Ebomb what is WS4SB ? [/quote]

Boyce,
This is the acronym for Westside For Skinny Bastards, a program tailored to athletes who want to gain size and strength based on principles from Westside, the powerlifting template. I love it and this template pretty much carried me through high school where my weights on all big lifts went up by hundreds of pounds and bodyweight went from 185-190 as a sophomore to 220 as a senior.

Ahh right nice name. What does it involve ? Example of this kind of program’s workout ?

[quote]Boycedog wrote:
Ahh right nice name. What does it involve ? Example of this kind of program’s workout ?[/quote]

here is a workout pretty much straight out of a training log of mine from high school.

Monday: max effort upper body
bench press: work up to a 3-5 rep max
dumbbell incline press: 2 x 20
bentover rows/seated dumbbell power clean: 3 x 8-12
barbell shrugs: 3-4 x 8-20
barbell curls/skull crushers: 3 x 8-12

Tuesday: dynamic lower body (I trained for football)
some jumping exercise
barbell lunges: 3-4 x 6-8 lr
rdl: 3 x 6-10
some calf exercise

Thursday: repetition upper body
dumbbell flat bench press: 3 x max reps (a weight you can do 15-20 times)
standing military press: 3 x 5-8
rear delt flies/straight arm pulldowns: 3 x 8-12
dumbbell shrugs/floor triceps extensions: 3 x 8-20
some biceps

Friday: max effort lower body
trap bar deadlift: work up to a 1-3 rep max
barbell step ups: 3 x 8-10 lr
natural glute ham raise: 3 x 5
some calf excercise

that’s it. Switch max effort exercises every couple of weeks. Instead of a jumping exercise on the dynamic day, you can instead do a lactic acid day. Where you just went lighter on the weight with a leg exercise and shortened rests, or you could just only do one leg day and add a little more volume. I have seen people progress well with just one lower day a week, especially beginners. I hope this helpsan, any other questions, just ask.

Seems pretty good alright! Im gonna try something like this out swapping in some of my favourite exercises that arent already included. Thanks so much for your help man appreciate it and looking at your photos its definitely worked for you. Again thanks alot man, keep the faith.

[quote]Boycedog wrote:
Seems pretty good alright! Im gonna try something like this out swapping in some of my favourite exercises that arent already included. Thanks so much for your help man appreciate it and looking at your photos its definitely worked for you. Again thanks alot man, keep the faith.[/quote]

sounds good man. Just stick with it, train as intensely as possible, and I promise you will make gains.

[quote]Boycedog wrote:
Seems pretty good alright! Im gonna try something like this out swapping in some of my favourite exercises that arent already included.[/quote]

If you do this, it isn’t WS4SB. It’s a program you made up, and you’ll most likely overtrain chest and biceps, and undertraining legs.

Do the program as it is written, after a few months ask us any questions you have regarding progress/exercise selection. You have very little experience, and don’t have the knowledge or time under the bar to modify the program in a good way.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Boycedog wrote:
Seems pretty good alright! Im gonna try something like this out swapping in some of my favourite exercises that arent already included.[/quote]

If you do this, it isn’t WS4SB. It’s a program you made up, and you’ll most likely overtrain chest and biceps, and undertraining legs.

Do the program as it is written, after a few months ask us any questions you have regarding progress/exercise selection. You have very little experience, and don’t have the knowledge or time under the bar to modify the program in a good way. [/quote]

I agree.

Check out defrancostraining.com and look at all three articles on westside for skinny bastards. You should find all the information you need on program design there.