T Nation

Training for Gaining

Hey everyone, I'd really appreciate some help designing a program to help me gain 5-10 lbs of lean muscle mass in about 2 weeks. Advanced Lifter, 5'7 inches. Want to minimize fat gain, thinking about Massive Eating. Please help with any routines or advice in designing a program of combined lifting/cardio to maximize muscle gain and minimize fat gain (hypertrophy-oriented) Thanks!

-Sanjeev

5-10 lbs of muscle in two weeks? Do you plan on doing this 'clean'?

there are only about oh...172 training articles on this mag.

5-10 lbs of muscle in two weeks? Do you plan on doing this 'clean'?

My thoughts exactly Thunder

Sanjeev,
I would be happy to help you for free. Don't mind Thunder. I am glad you got a hold of us early in the year. I'm more than willing to work with you for the entire 2004. Just think, by next Christmas, at the rate your willing to grow we'll be looking at roughly 130 to 260 pounds of new fat free mass. I think even TT, would be hard pressed at accomplishing this. Anyway, I'm excited and can't wait to start, pay no attention to the naysayers. Here we go!!!
Thank you,
Kyle

Kyle, can you help me too?

Sanjeev: First, your goal is totally unrealistic. Second, if you want people around here to help you, it's a good idea to show you've done some homework first and have read at least a few articles. We can be a tough audience.

The above is intended as some friendly advice.

With that said, Massive Eating is a good place to start in your quest for more mass. You might also want to check out the following training program:

The Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program by Chad Waterbury
http://t-mag.com/nation_articles/244anti.jsp

I haven't tried the program myself yet-- although I'm strongly considering it as my next program--but it gets rave reviews.

Good luck.

Thunder,
It would be an honor, altough, obviously, I'm going to have my hands full with Sanjeev. I've often thought to myself while reading your posts, you may have an inkling of what it takes to develop "serious muscle". However, because you are slightly ahead of Sanjeev, in regards to genetic potential, you'll likely only gain 2-3 pounds per week on one of my "programs". Still, by next Christmas, we're looking at roughly 100 to 150 pounds of solid new mass. Here is what I'd like you to do, and on the double(Sanjeev, feel free to try this also). Run on down to the local supermarket and purchase 125 pounds(being conservative) of flank steak. Upon arriving at home let flank steak heat to room temperature, then staple evenly all over your body. Next, attend to the days activities as you normally would, the only caveat, being that at the of the day you must carefully journal, the absolutely wonderful impact, this new 125 pounds of mass had on you and those you encountered. If by this time you are not screaming at the top of your lungs, "Kyle I'll do whatever it takes to achieve this goal", well then maybe you don't want it bad enough, and should stick with one of CW's, or CT's programs. Anyway, I'm here for you, and eagerly awaiting all responses.
Thank you,
Kyle

Hey, there, Sanjeev. I see you're new to T-Mag.

Unfortunately, the sad news is that you are not likely to put on 5-10 pounds of muscle is that period of time without prohormone assistance (like Mag-10). Even that assumes you have your diet dialed in and your are working out hard and smart.

Once again, gaining muscle is going to involve 2 factors; proper nutrition, the program you're following. Start reading everything you can get your hands on here on T-Mag. There's a magazine, archived articles, and the T&N forum. The search engine to the left of your screen will allow you to search either one.

As far as cardio goes, I'd keep it to a minimum while bulking. Do a search on HIIT, which is High Intensity Interval Training. Short, sweet, intense and it won't work against your hypertrophy goals.

As far as hypertrophy (bulking) programs, all of us here have our own preferences and approaches. Myself, I love Chad Waterbury's programs. Do a search of T-Mag (by changing the drop-down window) for ABBH (Anti-BodyBuilding Hypertrophy).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

The closest you're going to get is:

• AntiBodybuilding program by Waterbury

• Massive Eating by Berarrdi

• Mag-10 by Biotest

• Hard work and discipline by you

Do you not think the caloric expenditure associated with HIIT would be counterproductive to gaining quick muscle?

Not too mention that with two lower body days (als CW), you'd run the risk of overtraining your lower body with additional HIIT, depending on how much was done.

Nation,
Okay gang, my server is getting clogged with requests. Slow it down, there's plenty to go around.
Thank you,
Kyle

Actually the HIIT sessions, massive cals, a dailed in diet, and ABBH is exactly what I am doing right now. A little to early to give results, as I am less than a week in, but so far so good.

As far as the over training issue with the lower body workouts twice a week in combination with HIIT. I have been doing upper body HIIT on lower body days. Bag work, etc.. Gives you a good mix also.

Another benefit of the upper body HIIT is that it seems to speed recovery somewhat.

Just my 2cc