Training for Football

[quote]Snookerd wrote:
GDupFRMthaFEETup wrote:
i was thinking of maybe taking a weight gainer or whey protein…? my goal is to weigh around 150-160.

See this statement right here is what i have a problem with and what my girlfriend and i talk about almost every other day. I’m not sure if its today’s youth or if its just the basic lazyness of people in today’s society. Shes a teacher at a public high school and comes home and complains about the laziness and stupidity of the kids in her class. I deal with it as a manager of a business. nobody takes the time to figure anythying out themselves or research anything before asking a damn question or for assistance.

There is a whole section based on Supplements and Nutrition with diet plans explaining what you are trying to do, take a minute and read, then ask a relevant question.

look you need to eat a lot and i mean a lot
just an example of what I found in um 2 minutes
https://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/what_im_doing_to_bulk

[/quote]

Someone woke up the wrong side of the bed…Although there is a nugget a truth there, this is afterall the beginners forum

OP, I gained 40 Lbs between my junior and senior year in high school (went from strong safety to inside LB). You do not want to jeopordize speed to put on weight…I found that overdosing on creatine and junk food made me too fat and it took 3 weeks into the season to lose the weight that was slowing me down…Try to do it with food, lots of meat and all of the time. You may not put on as much weight, but it will all be good weight. And lift hard,all of the time.

Your workout could probably use some tweaking as well, however I assume it is something out together by your coaching staff

OP,

Someone woke up the wrong side of the bed…Although there is a nugget a truth there, this is afterall the beginners forum

OP, I gained 40 Lbs between my junior and senior year in high school (went from strong safety to inside LB). You do not want to jeopordize speed to put on weight…I found that overdosing on creatine and junk food made me too fat and it took 3 weeks into the season to lose the weight that was slowing me down…Try to do it with food, lots of meat and all of the time. You may not put on as much weight, but it will all be good weight. And lift hard,all of the time.

Your workout could probably use some tweaking as well, however I assume it is something out together by your coaching staff

OP, [/quote]

Thanks you’re right, Id rather have functional muscle and weigh less any day. I think ill try WS4SB (the first one), since it includes more compound movements, and ive heard nothing but good things about the WS4SB series.

The WS4SB template is very effective but is a more intermediate based program. So depending on where you are at with your stength development, you might consider starting with a program you can progress in strength development multiple times a week. WS4SB is designed to allow weekly increases in weights in your core lifts. The Starting Strength program from Mark Rippetoe/Lon Kilgore is very effective for folks who are still able to increase their weights multiple times a week. It focuses on the basic lifts (bench, deadlift, squat, presses), which is definetly where you want to put your effect. Personally I would start there to make sure you maximize your progress potential.

My 14 year old son, who also plays football, has had very good success with the Starting Strength program this last year. His strength has increased along with taking his weight from 137 to 164 in little over a year. He has just recently moved to the WS4SB template.

Here is the web site that contains a ton of information. They also have several well written books that are very informative.

Best of luck!

Starting Strength Wiki …

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki