Training for Football (Soccer) in the Gym

basically im getting back into football after quite a few years and need to change up my training.

little about me:

29 years old, 5ft 7, 80kg ish, stocky build, little bit overweight. Played football years ago at quite high level but stopped due to constant shoulder injuries. bodybuilding and powerlifting followed, now getting back into footy due to playing at work and need to change my training and asking for your help.
I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last 6 months, need to lose more and become quicker on my feet and turning/changing direction,i now run flat footed alot but i never used to.

my time is limited, i currently can train 3-4 times a week and try to fit in extra training at lunch time at work but this does interfere with nutrition (if i workout at lunch i can eat as good as i wont have time)

what im basically asking is what do some athletes (preferably footballers) do IN THE GYM? any suggestions for some quick workouts for strength and conditioning? I try to run as much as possible, sprints when i can and have been doing more power/speed work in the gym but i need to be lighter.
Im a full back, i need power, speed, strength and endurance. Should i just do crossfit/crossfit football type workouts?? bodyweight? i have been researching alot and just looking fir suggestions and other peoples opinions on this

Hi buddy,

Your work in the gym should be limited. 3 days a week; 2 upper body days, and one leg day. Keep the sessions quick and to the point. No longer than 60 minutes. Strength orientated. DeFranco has a few programs you should look at.

The more important work for you is you and the ball. Hours of kicking a ball against a wall, and practice dribbling in between cones etc is where the most notable effects wil come from. Also some shorter sprints and agility ladder work is recommened. Training in the gym is just extra work that might just give you that little extra edge when you need that extra bit of strength, but should not be a priority. As a fellow lifter this can be somewhat annoying, but the reality is; you and the ball must became one.

Feel free to ask me any more questions

tweet

thanks mate, what DeFranco programs should i look at? i can only really see a good template of WSFSB, but isnt this to gain weight? i need to lose it, become leaner and more powerful. When i weight train consistently i get heavier! i have searched the website but not got much joy, only names of programs rather than templates.

You right about practicing with the ball, unfortunately i cant do this as much as i would like due to work which i why im trying to pick up my fitness elsewhere.

where do you play? position and at what level?

WSFSB is a good program. It will make you stronger. At 80kg at 5’7 I wouldnt be too worried about adding/dropping weight. How much size it adds to you will also depend on your diet and how much cardio you will be doing. You should be doing a fair amount of cardio so your not going to grow into a monster any time soon.

You need to practice with the ball, even if it means sacraficing a lifting session once every 2 weeks or so.

I usually play right back/right midfield, although this year Im changing my team so that may change. My training log; “Bird Cage 2; Aviar dreams” is about to start up soon, so keep an eye out, any recommendations are welcome.

tweet

cheers mate i’ll look out for your log.

I play full back, either left or right, more wing back nowadays as i like getting forward.

I will continue to look out for programs and add more cardio (as i could drop 5-10kg of fat)

anyone else got any info??

dude, if you played soccer at a high level, you should know how to train, in the field and in the gym… if you do need help and opinions, ASK A SOCCER COACH!!

not a bunch of wanna be arnolds on a forum…

i played football at a high level years ago in school with no access to a gym, purely on the field.
Training has advanced in the last 10-15 years and im asking advice/opinions. Years ago we used to just run round the pitch a few times and work on TEAM drills.

with all this info on the net why am i just going to go straight and ask a coach when i only play recreationally?

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
Training has advanced in the last 10-15 years and im asking advice/opinions…
[/quote]

True.

Hey buddy, Im about to start up training again(given that I dont injure myself again in the mean time and I recover from my sore plantar fasciaitis).

Tell me what you think of this rough plan;

Monday; Rest day (AM recovery walk in the ocean, PM maybe some light yoga)
Tuesday; AM weights chest and back, PM team training
Wednesday; AM bike ride, PM yoga or personal skill session
Thursday AM weights leg, PM team training
Friday; AM bike ride or rest, PM skill session/shoulder and core workout or rest
Saturday: yoga or very light skill session
Sunday: Game day!

The above is a very rough plan and will undergo some serious tweaking, but tell me what you think?
I want to add in a sprint session in there aswell… Im thinking maybe after team training on Tuesday(the team that I play for is amateur and do not train very hard). Every second week the team has to travel atleast 3 hours to and from for our away games, so I think I will arrange my training in a 2 week timetable and give myself extra rest on weeks where we have to travel more.

note: people often critisise me for spending too much time on my bike, but I enjoy bike riding and find its a good low impact way of keeping my conditioning up.

tweet

doesnt look bad to me mate if you can fit it in. Maybe do a sprint session on teh wednesday before leg day but otherwise ok.

how do people find time to work out AM and PM?? i work 40 hours+ per week, have a wife and kids an also need to rest! amazes me.

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
doesnt look bad to me mate if you can fit it in. Maybe do a sprint session on teh wednesday before leg day but otherwise ok.

how do people find time to work out AM and PM?? i work 40 hours+ per week, have a wife and kids an also need to rest! amazes me.[/quote]

Your right. Having 4-5 double sessions a week is way too much. Im going to change that to 3 double sessions a week, and every second week only do 2 double sessions a week…

Monday; Rest and recovery(ie; ocean walk)
Tuesday; AM low tempo bike ride PM team training finished with own sprint session
Wednesday: AM rest or maybe another low tempo ride PM weights a chest and back
Thursday: AM weights: legs PM team training
Friday: AM bike ride(finish ride with hill repeats) PM weight shoulder and core
Saturday: AM light skill session and recovery work(ie foam rolling, ocean walk, ice bath)
Sunday: Game day!

Im a bit concerned about the lifting been so close together on Wednesday, Thursday and then Friday. Should I be concerned about that? Maybe I should be looking at a 10 day split?
Anyone else have any recommendations?

tweet

you know what, this week i worked out Monday (legs and jumps) and wednesday (upper body) and had football friday midday time and as soon s i kicked off BOTH my hamstrings pulled! the right one was more painful and the left was extremely stiff but i couldnt continue. It was only 5-a-saide so i went in goal but still couldnt react quick enough i was in soo much pain!

this aint happened before and i didnt think i did alot of volume at all this week.

I might drop the lifting for a few weeks (lower body) and just do light running to recover my hamstrings.
I have been reading so much and everyone says squats for football players but they seem to work against me makig my legs feel heavy and stiff for days regardless of rep range

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
I have been reading so much and everyone says squats for football players but they seem to work against me makig my legs feel heavy and stiff for days regardless of rep range[/quote]

Funny you say that, last Thursday I did legs at the gym in the morning and then went to soccer training about 8 hours later in the evening. Have to say I really struggled moving the legs like I usually do. I think its just a case of getting used to the extra volume and pushing through it for the first few weeks as the body adapts.

You should check out my training log; “The Bird Cage 2. Aviar Dreams”

tweet