T Nation

Training for Football Advice

I am looking for some advice from the more experienced members of the community. I am 16 turning 17 in December. I have been in the weight room for about a year now, taking some classes and hiring some personal trainers, I read and learn as much as possible (meaning I am familiar with most lifts).

Training wise I play highschool football and i want to train for that specifically, while at the same time looking good. What should I be doing in the weightroom to improve my performance on the field? any specific lifts?

Also nutritionaly, are there any suplements that are a neccessity or can i just stick with a protein shake?

Check out west side for skinny bastards by Joe Defranco. Should fit the bill very well

Phill

Don’t let weight training take over, you still need to get all your practice on the field also.

I agree. Look on DeFranco’s site and read the “Westside for Skinny Bastards 2” article. It’s got a great breakdown of how to incorporate strength training along with speed training and/or skills training.

For most young players, the most important thing you can do in the weightroom is develop strength and explosive power. Focus on moving heavy weights as fast as possible and combine that with speed and/or power training exercises on the field and you will see great results.

Alot of this depends on your position on the football field.How tall are,what do you weigh,and how much do you bench,squat,and power clean?