Training For First P/L Comp

Hey guys,

I’ve been roped into my local gyms powerlifting comp. It’s 2 months a way so I need to get my training going if I want to hit my target of a 1000lb total. Any recommendations as to a suitable program, bearing in mind - due to self-employment - I can only train 3 and occasionaly 4 times a week.

Should I be doing say set of 2-4 tapering towards singles? Do i ditch all ancillary work to dead/squat/bench variations bar perhaps triceps/hams …

cheers for any advice,
colt_nz

I know you are training for a pl meet but is relative strength the goal or absolute strength?

What are your 3 lifts stats?

How old are you?

Past Training experience?

Anyone who suggest you a program with some much less information is walking on water!

Keep fighting
adonail

I only lift 3 days a week along with my teammates were preety good…we do

day 1 shirt day…bench shirt training and lock out work…assitant lats and upper back

day 2 squat dl night…we alternate each week from doing speed box squats and heavy deadlift move to heavy box squats in gear and speed deadlifts…assitnat work is band good mornings, rev hyper, ghrs, abs

day 3… raw bench …we alternate between week 1 raw bench press of reps in the 60-85% range…week 2 speed ebnch with massive band and chain combo resistance…and week 3 zero momentum bench work…assitant work is triceps lats and upper back…

bm

Good one Big Martin, but i suggest just one modification. If he are a little less advanced he might benefits from every other training split
ex:

Week 1
Monday: A bench day
Wednesday: Squat/deadlift
Friday: B bench day

Week 2
Monday: Squat/deadlift
Wednesday: bench day A
Friday: Squat/deadlift

That way you hit upper and lower body muscles every 4-5 day that’s better for someone who have less experience and need to resolve technicals issues(read motors units movement sprecific adaptation). Charles Poliquin also advocate that kind of frequency of stimulation.

rest 3-5min between sets(if you want relative strength)
85-100% weight( 1-5RM)
1-3 big exercices per workout

practice your deadlift on the floor to develop stating strength

If you don’t lift with a bench shirt, practice paused bench press with a cadence like 211 even 212 sometimes. But don’t forget to use SSC(Stretch shortening cycle) with some sets per workout.

Keep fighting
adonail

[quote]adonail wrote:
I know you are training for a pl meet but is relative strength the goal or absolute strength?[/quote]

While it is a weight relative comp, I’m competing against myself more than anything, so I guess absolute.

I’m 6ft, 88kg at a few kilos heavier my
best was: 115(b)/170(s)/165(d).

These are workout lifts from three years ago. And Ive had two herniated discs since then…

current guess: 105/150/155

Never had my lifts judged though.

28 years

8 years on and off (with a year off 2003 because of the herniated discs).

Might sound a bit dumb doing this with a history of back problems… but I will be cautious for any distress syptoms and I feel like I need to challenge myself again. Especially as I aim to play some grade 2 rugby again this winter.

Thanks!

Thanks adonail and Big Martin!

I dont lift in a shirt but have just finished Watererbury’s lift fast so will continue with some work at that temp.

Can you can give me an idea of the numbers of set per workout I should be looking at here. Given the rest periods and the number of exercises… around 10-12?

And can I confirm you dont recommend any single joint stuff?

[quote]adonail wrote:
Good one Big Martin, but i suggest just one modification. If he are a little less advanced he might benefits from every other training split
ex:

Week 1
Monday: A bench day
Wednesday: Squat/deadlift
Friday: B bench day

Week 2
Monday: Squat/deadlift
Wednesday: bench day A
Friday: Squat/deadlift

That way you hit upper and lower body muscles every 4-5 day that’s better for someone who have less experience and need to resolve technicals issues(read motors units movement sprecific adaptation). Charles Poliquin also advocate that kind of frequency of stimulation.

rest 3-5min between sets(if you want relative strength)
85-100% weight( 1-5RM)
1-3 big exercices per workout

practice your deadlift on the floor to develop stating strength

If you don’t lift with a bench shirt, practice paused bench press with a cadence like 211 even 212 sometimes. But don’t forget to use SSC(Stretch shortening cycle) with some sets per workout.

Keep fighting
adonail
[/quote]

that could definately work…increased loading…espically for a beginer…im just kind of s stickler when it comes tocompetitive powerlifting about giving the low back 7 days of rest…it has just helped us a ton around here personally…but we trained the lower body twice a week for 2 years so for a beginer there is definate benifits to 2 times a wek low body work…just if you start felling overtrained in the low back take a day off…rb