T Nation

Training For Fat Loss?

Been going through most of the training articles on this site, and alot of my routines i’ve personally used in the gym came from T-Nation. Great programs, i’d see results, but still had the feeling that something is lacking. Today is where i make a change and i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to help accomplish my goals.

I wanna cut down on the fat, and i know diet plays almost 100% in that. I been eating healthy but only to the point of eat good food not bad food. Not taking it beyond where timing comes in (stated in the metabolism repair program article) To me this is number 1, change my diet.

I’ve got mixed signals in some articles about the weight training during a fat cutting period. You want a slight higher rep / small rest period, is stated in some articles, while others say keep the heavy lifting to maintain the muscle mass.

What i was hoping if anyone could point out some articles, or mention some good routines (Raw hard, sweat and blood routines that takes everything you got and then some) that will help with cutting the fat but maintain muscle mass, or possibly build muscle mass. But i believe that in a fat cutting period its very unlikely to gain muscle mass. Anything and everything will help and would be much appreciated

thanks alot

[quote]st4t1c wrote:
I’ve got mixed signals in some articles about the weight training during a fat cutting period. You want a slight higher rep / small rest period, is stated in some articles, while others say keep the heavy lifting to maintain the muscle mass. [/quote]

In a recent article, the same person who has long said that low reps were superior while dieting produced a high rep workout. Why?

Because people get paid by the article. And to get published, you need something novel. Hence, people keep saying different stuff in different articles.

Higher reps or lower reps work fine for losing. Just lift using the same program you are doing, but reduce volume. By how much? The only answer is this: By how you feel and how you are recovering.

If you are recovering well and slamming the weights around, don’t reduce volume. if you feel beaten down, reduce the volume a little until you find what works for you.

The articles are interesting and I read them all. But I don’t look for “truth” in any of them. I know what works for me; and you need to find what works for you.

I think 8-12 reps is a good place to start. Super or tri-setting has always been a favorite of mine. Just push to near failure no matter what and don’t bother with isolation exercises. Eat a little less than when you train for size.