T Nation

Training for Fast Twitch Monsters

hi guys,
I’m a fast twitch monster :smiley: and I’m finally growing since I started training with 3 or 4 reps instead of the good old 8-12. Does anyone also train this way and knows some other training methods which effectively hit the fast twitch fibers (to get some change)?

thanks, jaMiii

Think about training for (concentric) speed.

When I am focusing on speed/fast twitch, I like to pause at the end of the eccentric motion for long enough to feel a release in tension. I then give everything I have for an all out explosion of a concentric motion.

[quote]jaMiii wrote:
hi guys,
I’m a fast twitch monster :smiley: and I’m finally growing since I started training with 3 or 4 reps instead of the good old 8-12. Does anyone also train this way and knows some other training methods which effectively hit the fast twitch fibers (to get some change)?

thanks, jaMiii[/quote]

When people think in extremes, they are very seldom right.

Unless you are pushing some serious weight and are already built like a pro lineman, I would rethink staying in a constant 3-4 rep range.

Odds are good that you’re getting results from using a new training style, rather than from the fact that the training style is low-rep.

I thought the same as you when I first tried low-rep training: (1) I had always been “better” at lifting heavy than lifting for reps, (2) I gained a bunch of muscle when I switched to low-rep training, (3) therefore I was “fast-twitch” and would get better results training low-rep year round.

Nope. My body got used to it just like everything else, and my next spike in muscle mass came when I switched back to higher reps.

However, your fast-twitch nature might make doing sets of something like 6-10 reps better (on average) than say 10-12 reps. Or at the very least you might enjoy it more.

couldnt tell ya, my 1RM is usually only 20 pounds or so off from my 6RM

• pointless post

I don’t think switching to a low-rep training cycle from a high-rep type of training, seeing results pretty quick just simply classifies you as a “fast-twitch” freak. If you were you’d probably be playing a sport somewhere, as those types are pretty rare.

So your first post was to come here and tell us your a “fast twitch monster”?

A fast twitch monster? Really? DAYUM! That’s currently how I train shoulders and just like with my normal rep range I’m not getting the results I want. Well, time to crack open some synthol. I’m saying TROLL on this one.

I’m a fast ejaculating monster too.

Wait what?

[quote]JLu wrote:
I’m a fast ejaculating monster too.

Wait what?[/quote]

Well, that ain’t good.

[quote]jaMiii wrote:
hi guys,

thanks, jaMiii[/quote]

Can some one please elaborate more on fast twitch slow twitch? All I really know if different fibers respond differently to different rep ranges. Is that it? Also, has anyone tried muscle endurance training for mass. Not high reps, but short(er) rest periods. (say 1-1.30 min)

I am a cookie monster!

[quote]Stength4life wrote:

Can some one please elaborate more on fast twitch slow twitch? All I really know if different fibers respond differently to different rep ranges. Is that it? Also, has anyone tried muscle endurance training for mass. Not high reps, but short(er) rest periods. (say 1-1.30 min)[/quote]

Did your google quit working?

designate 1 day for hang cleans

put near your max load on the bar and just hit single reps til you get to 30 take about 30 seconds betweens each reps

so basically 2 warm up sets 1 x 15, 1 x 12 then the actual workout 30 x 1 of near max load, {or stop when your form becomes unsafe)

its prolly the most fun you can have, and you’ll drop fat like crazy, and grow like a fucking bear

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
Stength4life wrote:

Can some one please elaborate more on fast twitch slow twitch? All I really know if different fibers respond differently to different rep ranges. Is that it? Also, has anyone tried muscle endurance training for mass. Not high reps, but short(er) rest periods. (say 1-1.30 min)

Did your google quit working?[/quote]

Nope.

jaMiii wrote:
hi guys,

thanks, jaMiii

Can some one please elaborate more on fast twitch slow twitch? All I really know if different fibers respond differently to different rep ranges. Is that it? Also, has anyone tried muscle endurance training for mass. Not high reps, but short(er) rest periods. (say 1-1.30 min)[/quote]

jaMiii wrote:
hi guys,

thanks, jaMiii

There are 3 types of muscle fibers that compramise skeletal muscle:

Type Ia (slow-twitch oxidative) fibers: Fibers that undergo oxidative metabolism while working. These fibers are for a longer period of time, but provide very little power. These are used when you are running, walking, doing every normal things without really putting much strenuous effort. Cannot really be trained for size. Endurance training provides pretty good health benefits for the average person here.

Type IIa (fast-twitch oxidative) fibers: These also are able to provide some more power and strength, as well as more of a long term use. These are the middle ground between slow and fast twitch, having characteristics of both aerobic and anaerobic metabolism (producing energy with or without oxygen). Modest increase in size.

Type IIb (fast-twitch glycolytic) fibers: These fibers are the ones that we are working on when we are strength training. They have the greatest capacity for size and strength gains. They are able to provide high power, but for a short duration relative to the other fibers. T-Nation is obsessed with this one, and rightfully so.

Your body’s makeup of how much type of fiber you have is predominantly genetically determined. There’s a little biology lesson for ya. Helps me too, I just took a final for this stuff at school. But next time, google the damn thing =P

Thanks for the answers, guys!

I read some very old ones of Charles Poliquin’s Questions of Strength.
There he recommended mainly fast-twitched individuals to train with 2-4 reps for muscle mass and that’s what finally made me grow.
I’m pretty sure I’m very fast-twitched because I could run the 100m in 11.8 secs before I started weightlifting and I can only do half the reps my mates do with 60% load of 1RM.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
couldnt tell ya, my 1RM is usually only 20 pounds or so off from my 6RM

• pointless post[/quote]

Wow. my 1RM is about 40-50 lbs away from my 6RM on bench, front squat, pulldown and everything else in 200-250 lbs range for a 1RM. Slightly more than that on deadlifts. Guess that makes me fast-twitch?