Training for Bigger Calves

Yes, a great article. I really like the way Dr Darden tells a story, before heading into serious business.

I can’t help but thinking - if this extreme routine produces such great results - how little is required to produce any result? This is analogue with a statement appearantly made by Mike Mentzer.

If I were to do it, I would just do it one turn around, once weekly. I might actually integrate that in my routine as an inspiration, to see where it takes me.

I actually have decent calves without having done any attempts to make them grow. Many years of playing the drumkit may have something to do with it (you tend to keep a light constant tension in the calves while playing the pedals).

I agree, this is one of the things that I feel really makes Dr Darden’s articles stand out from the crowd - that and the excellent training routines he provides in them, of course!

Looking forward to giving this routine and all the other Gold School routines a shot when I start my bulk next year, @Ellington_Darden!

1 Like

Dr Darden
What’s the rep speed on the calf training article?

Two up and two down for the initial 15 reps, but it gets faster as you get into the other phases. Just try to be smooth, as opposed to jerky.

Thank you. On longer range exercises. Curls pulldowns etc. do you still recommend 2 up 4 down?

That’s a good guideline.

Dr Darden,

Is 2/4 better than 4/4 for some reason (or just another variation)?

Pettersson, I like your transitions. What’s your take on 2/4 vs. 4/4?

Thanks Dr Darden,

I’m really grateful for your expertise in this forum.

When kyushomaster brought the 2/4 question up, I was surprised to have not thought about that cadence variation at all.

Giving it some thought, I think it may provide a better inroad, since you are supposedly able to make better use (even more reps, or TUL if you like) of the more rewarding negatives. Right or wrong?

In fact, I find this cadence variation very interesting, and just about what my 4/4 routine needs in order to measure itself against the more powerful cadences of 30-10-30, 30-30-30. Over time I have found it increasingly hard to estimate and justify the importance of 4/4 compared to the others, other than as a bridging variation.

This negatively focused approach may change that (in time for tomorrow’s scheduled 4/4 routine).

Any final thoughts before I make this change?

In my personal experience with 2/4 vs 4/4…i found with 2/4 I would get sloppy on the form on the positive side, therefore I went to 4/4 and was able to control the rep alot better and ended working the muscle thru the full range, I would definitely feel the difference the following day…on some exercises I even added 4/4/4, where the middle 4 was a squeeze of flexing of the muscle

Do 4/4/4/4 for a month and tell you don’t see a noticeable difference!!

Dr Darden
Started the calf routine today. Unbelievable pump and difficult as can be. Lol.
Having some issues.
First let me list how I did
I used 180lbs on the standing calf machine
Got the initial 15 reps with a 2 up / 2 down tempo
Did the shakes and got 6,6 and 4 reps. Did the top burns for nowhere near 20sec and got 2single leg negatives on each foot.
Should I have gone much lighter in order to come closer to the recommended parameters? Or stick with this weight and keep trying to build up to it?

Lower the weight significantly. I’d say go to 120 or 130 pounds. Do every rep in good form, except the burns and 2 up and 1 down last phase. You can cheat a little on those.

Thought so, but then the first 15 reps won’t be to failure… that’s ok?

Close to failure, but a couple of reps short.

1 Like

I share your first time experience! The similarities are striking. Will make sure to decrease the load next time. This will be a work in progress for quite some time.

And btw, made the transition from 4/4 to 2/4 in my “normal” routine. My first impression is a positive one. I was able to emphasize the negatives as predicted, and made sure not to rush the positives. Opened up for some great variations in excercises. Felt like this cadence was made for flyepresses on chest.

1 Like

Just an update. Can barely walk today. Lol
Hope all this pain results in growth😎

1 Like

== Scott==
Something to ponder? Any time you try a different routine and especially a harder one you are most likely going to be sore as hell the next day. My question is , is it smart to jump in and kill yourself the first time or does it make more sense to break into it slowly? There’s a million ways to get your muscles sore as hell but is that something that’s good to do when growth is the desired result ? I’ve got my muscles sore as hell a zillion times but I don’t recall that translating into growth ? All I recall is it took much longer to recover from and in essence it slowed down my progress.

1 Like

Dr Darden, I ve tried your DIAMOND-T CALVES yesterday and today I can feel indeed my calves! very sore

I know exactly what you mean, Scott. I don’t necessarily ‘ease into’ specialization routines, but I definitely use weights I know I can handle in perfect form for the first go at the new routine. The change in routine will be enough, IMO, for that first time. From there, I can focus on making significant increases each time I perform the routine.
Best
Scott

1 Like