Training For Aussie Rules Footy

Ok, I have been weight training for about 18 months and the kinda stuff i have been doing has been basically for size, but now i want to train more for sports realated activity. My sport requires great strength, muscular size and aerobic fitness (this im not too fussed about as its an amatuer level).

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a program that would be beneficial for me. For those not familiar with the sport, the type of training i would do would be be similar to a wide receiver in football, someone who can run, break tackles etc…i would be doing a bit of running so im not sure how much leg weight training will affect this (its hard to run after youve squatted for instance, even days after…)

I have been doing several programs from this site, like Shoulders Overhaul and the Hard Body Training from Ms Beast along with some Poliquin stuff. I was wondering would something like TBT be good for what im doing. My footy takes up about 3 days a week with 2 trainings during the week and one match on saturday. I guess the main things im not sure about is the type of rep/set schemes to do to compliment the type of size/strength i want. If you think i need to give more info i will as i am using a net cafe comp and have no comp at home…cheers jimmy

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
Ok, I have been weight training for about 18 months and the kinda stuff i have been doing has been basically for size, but now i want to train more for sports realated activity. My sport requires great strength, muscular size and aerobic fitness (this im not too fussed about as its an amatuer level).

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a program that would be beneficial for me. For those not familiar with the sport, the type of training i would do would be be similar to a wide receiver in football, someone who can run, break tackles etc…i would be doing a bit of running so im not sure how much leg weight training will affect this (its hard to run after youve squatted for instance, even days after…)

I have been doing several programs from this site, like Shoulders Overhaul and the Hard Body Training from Ms Beast along with some Poliquin stuff. I was wondering would something like TBT be good for what im doing. My footy takes up about 3 days a week with 2 trainings during the week and one match on saturday. I guess the main things im not sure about is the type of rep/set schemes to do to compliment the type of size/strength i want. If you think i need to give more info i will as i am using a net cafe comp and have no comp at home…cheers jimmy
[/quote]

Jimmy, which position do you play? If you were playing fullback or full forward I reckon you would have to gear your training very differently compared to if you were a midfielder as your movement would be more explosive when presenting a lead to take a mark or leaping to take a contested mark.

If you are a midfielder maybe try CW’s Outlaw Strength and Conditioning program as it would really help you to maintain all-over conditioning needed for all the running you would do. If you were a fullback or fullforward maybe do something like CT’s Pendulum Training for Athletes or get into some Olympic style lifting to develop the explosiveness needed for the position.

I’d also make sure that I would work the posterior chain muscles A LOT to guard against all the hamstring injuries that result from kicking the ball on the run.

Try and search for programs here that develop your vertical leap as well.

As for conditioning workouts, mix up short sprints with some other sessions doing 200-400 m, you will get fitter without the wear and tear of long distance endurance runs.

Hope this helps, there are probably more Aussies on here with better Aussie Rules training knowledge than me though, let’s hope they answer your question.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben, thank you for your reply, i have received some feedback to this which will help me along with yours, thank you again. I am atm playing in a forward pocket changing on the ball. In short, i guess id be a poor mans phil matera or jeff farmer type without the skills ;).

Cheers

jimmy

Contact Troy A on the boards (Troy Anderson). He is the US Hawks strength and conditioning coach and has a great program for the athletes. He also plays for the Chandler outlaws and is a beast on the field! Smart, fast and strong… nothing better in an Aussie rules player :slight_smile:

Jimmy,

Its sounds as though you are “in-season” with your sport. So I would recommend keeping your volume pretty low and having moderate and high intensity training days in weight room.

As far as movements probably stuff like RDL’s OH-Squats,Pull-ups, Single DB/KB Snatches, etc…

As far as conditioning concerned I wouldn’t be to surprise if you get enough at practice from the sounds of things you guys do a lot of running on big training grounds over there. However, if you are looking for a little extra, I would recommend some 200-400 meter runs maybe 2-8 per week depending on recovery if you are a mid-fielder - if you play forward or back I would recommend maybe some shorter stuff - 30-100meter for around 10 reps.

I hope this helps, hard for me to give good recommendation without knowing a whole lot.

Just so you know I am player here in the USA; I also do all the strenght and conditioning programgming for our national team who will be in Melbourne in August

[quote]TroyA wrote:
Jimmy,

Its sounds as though you are “in-season” with your sport. So I would recommend keeping your volume pretty low and having moderate and high intensity training days in weight room.

As far as movements probably stuff like RDL’s OH-Squats,Pull-ups, Single DB/KB Snatches, etc…

As far as conditioning concerned I wouldn’t be to surprise if you get enough at practice from the sounds of things you guys do a lot of running on big training grounds over there. However, if you are looking for a little extra, I would recommend some 200-400 meter runs maybe 2-8 per week depending on recovery if you are a mid-fielder - if you play forward or back I would recommend maybe some shorter stuff - 30-100meter for around 10 reps.

I hope this helps, hard for me to give good recommendation without knowing a whole lot.

Just so you know I am player here in the USA; I also do all the strenght and conditioning programgming for our national team who will be in Melbourne in August
[/quote]

Troy, are the USA going to be playing any games against an Australian team or some of the AFL club sides? It would be great to get more international competition for AFL, the closest we get to it is playing an Aussie Rules/Gaelic Football hybrid game against Ireland each year.

Is the team made up of Americans or a lot of expat Aussies living over there?

Jimmy I’m playing footy as well, though I’ve just injured my knee, so might not be anymore.

I’ve had a bit of a different lead in as I’ve trained with weights for awhile longer and then started playing. Your new to weights, which means that some of the advantages of weight training are going to be nullified.

Basically you want to spend the offseason strengthening in the big lifts (deads, squats, bench, OHP, SLDL, chins/pullups, dips, rows). Then during the season maintain this level of strength. most of your conditioning should come from the actual team training, though a little extra running never goes astray. The extra running really should be to work out soreness, or sprint practice.

If you structure your training right you can train legs and still do running. If you keep focussed on strength and stay away from working to failure and intensity uppers(like drop sets) you should be fine. Get legs done early in the week, and make sure fridays are rest days. Also active recovery is your friend.

Aside from that hypertrophy efforts to build during the season will knock you around and leave you sore and prone to injury. Keep all your lifts in balance to avoid strains (i.e. good quad to hammy strength ratio) and watch out for those elbows to the head.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Troy, are the USA going to be playing any games against an Australian team or some of the AFL club sides? It would be great to get more international competition for AFL, the closest we get to it is playing an Aussie Rules/Gaelic Football hybrid game against Ireland each year.

Is the team made up of Americans or a lot of expat Aussies living over there?[/quote]

Wouldn’t really be a good idea. Your talking about running an amateur league against professionals. And the idea of say amateurs or lower levels pros (state sides) playing internationally would be hard to get funding for.

Though I know the AFL is promoting the game in the USA and Canda (as well as other countries) and when they do get a good comp going the winners are likely to come and do a tour of Aussie leagues. Soon get something like cricket and rugby have, though it may take many years.

I love the international rules game.
My friend Stephen Mc Donnell (plays gaelic for Armagh and my home club Killeavy) regularly shocks you australians in the competition. Rumour has it he was one of those offered a contract. Currently 2 irishmen play pro in Australia - Setanta O hAplin and Tagh Kennely.
My recommendations is focus on lifts like the RDL, GHR for hamstring development. Sled dragging helps too.
I play Gaelic and Rugby hear in ireland, I also played in an international rules competition last year in my county Armagh. My team Killeavy came 2nd (out of about 16 teams) with me having the highest tackle count. Also improving your vertical leap seriously helps for catching marks - Nick Riewolt is the greatest example of this (catches a mark and knocks 3 men down too). There is an amateur aussie rules world cup which was won in 2003 by papau New Guinea.
BTW I hope the WCE win the aussie rules championship.

Sweet another Irish gaelic footballer ;). Stevie from Killeavy has been the best forward in Ireland this year, although he was inexplicably horrible against Fermanagh. Just a blip though. Love the compromise rules series as well, have been to croke park about 4 times to see the games. Amazing how these professional athletes get found out by the amateurs :D. They blame the round ball ;).

Training should be a hybrid of Basketball, Rugby and Soccer training. Sounds stupid but if you think about it you want a good vertical jump, be very physically strong and need a good aerobic and anaerobic base. Very like Gaelic football. A lot of max strength and explosive work as well as a lot of conditioning. Aussie rules would be very demanding physically.

The American side coming over is strictly made up of Americans who will be playing in tournament against other non-Aussie counrties.

You are right about your high level ametuers and pro’s would slaughter us, as most of are coming from other sport and picking up the game fairly late.

However, with that being said we some guys over in Oz as we speak playing very competitive ametuer club ball.

We the USAFL has been in exsistence since around 1997 I believe and the level of play is rising each year.

I just wish I would have the game sooner, I am 30 and if I can stay healthy have another 3-4 yrs of play.

I support the Cats and Hawks(they actual sponsor us with uniforms)

Cool, maybe in a few years of further development we will be able to have international Test matches.

As for who I support? Go the Swans!

[quote]TroyA wrote:
The American side coming over is strictly made up of Americans who will be playing in tournament against other non-Aussie counrties.

You are right about your high level ametuers and pro’s would slaughter us, as most of are coming from other sport and picking up the game fairly late.

However, with that being said we some guys over in Oz as we speak playing very competitive ametuer club ball.

We the USAFL has been in exsistence since around 1997 I believe and the level of play is rising each year.

I just wish I would have the game sooner, I am 30 and if I can stay healthy have another 3-4 yrs of play.

I support the Cats and Hawks(they actual sponsor us with uniforms)

[/quote]

cheers for that mate, i have just started the strength focused mesocycle from this site nad i plan on following it to a T… i find that i cam not as sore after footy training and im sure i will be right once i get fully going and i agree, i dont have the problems maybe someone who has weight trained for size for many years might have if they were changing their program style. at this early stage, im liking strength training already :wink:

cheers for all the (continuing) help lads, i will keep posted of any interesting developments…

Good stuff mate, keep at it and above all keep asking questions here at T-Nation. If you are starting out the beginner’s forum is the perfect spot to ask questions as is Prime Time. Learn the basics and you will notice differences fairly quickly.

Ben

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
cheers for that mate, i have just started the strength focused mesocycle from this site nad i plan on following it to a T… i find that i cam not as sore after footy training and im sure i will be right once i get fully going and i agree, i dont have the problems maybe someone who has weight trained for size for many years might have if they were changing their program style. at this early stage, im liking strength training already :wink:

cheers for all the (continuing) help lads, i will keep posted of any interesting developments…[/quote]

Good topic Jimmy, I was going to do something similar.

I love aussie rules and played it during school up until year 8. Then I did a terrible terrible thing, I gave it up for no reason other than laziness. Now I’m 21 and have been fat and unfit for the last 6 years.

However if you love the sport it can’t really die and I’m now training to be able to play next year. I’ve made a lot of progress in fitness and building my skills up again. Now I’ve got a focus for strength training too.

Go the cats!! Tony you and I are a good match, I love the Hawks too, they are my second favourite team.

I’m not sure what position I’ll play. I’m only 180cm (5’11) so I’m too small for ruck and full forward. I used to play back/forward pocket and wing so I guess it depends on my level of fitness next year.

Jimmy who do you play for? I live in ACT so will be playing in that league.

Am doing the SFM at the minute. Into the third week, have lost a couple of pounds actually but I’m not too bothered at all as I have been easily pumping out the extra weight each week. Already feel faster and my vert has surely gone up. Every day of the week you are itching to train as your CNS is so fired up but due to the low volume is not fatigued. I love SFM!

Going Westside I think next.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:

[/quote]

yeah i direct you to some dumbbbell kickbacks and a life of leg extensions…hey mate hows things …look after ya self…speak soon…

[quote]Alphaboy wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:

yeah i direct you to some dumbbbell kickbacks and a life of leg extensions…hey mate hows things …look after ya self…speak soon…[/quote]

hey mate, glad you noticed my topic, wil email/pm/or ring ya soon…say hi to the hairy dog and kody :wink:

back on topic, i have just done the first week, and like above, am itching to get further into it as there isnt much to do but i feel good and hope to see some results in the coming weeks…

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
Alphaboy wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:

yeah i direct you to some dumbbbell kickbacks and a life of leg extensions…hey mate hows things …look after ya self…speak soon…

hey mate, glad you noticed my topic, wil email/pm/or ring ya soon…say hi to the hairy dog and kody :wink:

back on topic, i have just done the first week, and like above, am itching to get further into it as there isnt much to do but i feel good and hope to see some results in the coming weeks…
[/quote]

What programme are you doing? I havent done much benching of late my are shoulders always sore from martial arts training, but got a 50lbs chins going for 4 sets of 8 so thats my claim to being a hero at the moment…haha…

hey dude, i am doing the strength focused mesocycle, one by CW who put it up here a while ago. Its pretty good, not too taxing and keeps you fresh and wanting more, ive improved my fitness for footy and have lost a few kg’s too. i suggest you give it a go if you are struggling with your current shit as this program can freshen you up for more size shit…later