T Nation

Training for Adding Muscle

For bulking/adding muscle what do you guys think is best;
once a week high set training for each muscle group or, twice a week at half the set range.

ie. 15 sets once a week or, 8 sets twice a week.

Im not a complete beginner and I know pro BB's do the high set workouts but im just worried about frequency.

just curious to what others think? Im keen to hear anyones idea's.
currently 183cm, 80kg, 15% bf from latest anthro tests.

Personally I do about 12 sets every 5 days.

Everybody is going to give you a different answer because everyone’s body is different.

In my opinion people (especially beginners) should get to the gym as often as they can.

At present I’m doing a variation on the stripped down hypertrophy program on this site, which effectively means you hit a muscle group 5 days a week with low enough volume to prevent too much CNS fatigue, and also triggers maximum GH and testosterone release by means of the set/rep guide and corresponding rest periods.

For me, its working a treat.

I would do a free program from a respected author who has acheived some measure of success with past cleints, vetted by experienced members on this forum.

Like Mr. Popular though, if I was creating a routine for a beginner, I would emphasize frequency.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

In my opinion people (especially beginners) should get to the gym as often as they can.[/quote]

x2

[quote]Otep wrote:
I would do a free program from a respected author who has acheived some measure of success with past cleints, vetted by experienced members on this forum.

x1000

[quote]wee man wrote:
At present I’m doing a variation on the stripped down hypertrophy program on this site, which effectively means you hit a muscle group 5 days a week with low enough volume to prevent too much CNS fatigue, and also triggers maximum GH and testosterone release by means of the set/rep guide and corresponding rest periods.

For me, its working a treat.[/quote]

wee man your avatar disgusts me.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
wee man wrote:

wee man your avatar disgusts me.[/quote]

I didn’t notice it at first…now I’m uncomfortable

check out westside for skinny bastards. that will give you your best results

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
For bulking/adding muscle what do you guys think is best;
once a week high set training for each muscle group or, twice a week at half the set range.
[/quote]

Setting up a split to hit each muscle effectively twice a week is difficult, It all depends if you can recover from the rest, if you can, you should probably give it a shot. Training a muscle every 5-6 days is very effective too.

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
ie. 15 sets once a week or, 8 sets twice a week.[/quote]

Stop thinking about sets and more about the exercises. Just focus on adding weight/reps on them each time.

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote: Im not a complete beginner and I know pro BB’s do the high set workouts
[/quote]

No they dont. They ramp up to 1 heavy set per exercise, going from light to heavy over 3-5 easier sets.